Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:27 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
From the SP website I see some 40+ neighborhoods within the community. Are there some to be avoided? If your looking up to $275K which areas does that exclude? Which areas have better access to western or southern exit/entry pts, if they exist.

Are stores, restaurants, and kids activities (library, indoor pools, soccer fields, inflatable gyms, etc) all within SP or out of the neighborhood? Where Hwy 6, which direction or cities do you go to?
Thanks for your help.

And yes I need a realtor, so anyone with a recommendation for the area can send me a msg.
We just moved to Sienna last weekend so I'm no expert on Sienna. Since moving to the Houston area in Nov 08, we've lived in The Woodlands, Quail Valley & now, Sienna. I can already tell that Sienna is the best fit for us on so many levels. The people here are friendly, welcoming & helpful. There are so many family-oriented activities and it's evident that the residents actually partake of the amenities on a regular basis. We see people walking & playing outside every day. We rarely saw that in our previous neighborhoods - at least not to the extent I've seen here so far.

The newest neighborhoods are off the new exit at Sienna Ranch Drive which is considered the "front" of Sienna. You would have a shorter drive to Hwy 6 from those neighborhoods than if you lived in the back. We live in the back just over the bridge/Scanlan Trace & it takes me about 7-8 min no traffic to get to Hwy 6. DH & I also prefer the older neighborhoods where there are more mature trees.

My brother has been visiting from his place near Minute Maid Park; he says that it takes him about 25 min to get here using the tollway.

We came close to buying in 2 other neighborhoods and every neighborhood had a very welcoming & friendly vibe. In both instances, neighbors we met apparently spoke to the sellers & put us at the top of their "want-as-neighbors" list.

A few years ago, you would have had to drag me kickin' & screamin' to live in a MPC but I'm actually looking forward to living in Sienna. I know that there are a lot of great communities throughout the Houston area. Sienna really jumped out at us in a positive way. Good luck with your search for a new community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 10:38 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Is SP incorporated because it's on wikipedia with a population.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:05 AM

206 posts, read 483,553 times
What can you tell me about SP's HOA, taxes, fees, etc...

Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 AM

469 posts, read 1,100,482 times
Sienna is a great community. I live up front but have plenty of friends in the back area of the community. I like where they live a lot. SP has a great HOA. They have events that keep the everyone together(4th fireworks, Snow in January, Concerts every couple of weeks). The pools are great. The main pool is a huge waterpark and they just opened a second resort style pool. HEB opened about a year ago right at the entrance and is really nice. More restaurants are opening all the time.

As for fees, HOA is about $900 for the year. Taxes include a levee district tax and a municipality tax(for newer homes) so taxes are higher than older homes closer to downtown.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:06 PM

133 posts, read 480,476 times
Anyone know which of the elementary schools is thought to be the better option?

Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inwood dreams View Post
Anyone know which of the elementary schools is thought to be the better option?
Of the 2, Scanlan Oaks is the better option. Just make sure you buy on the correct side to be zoned to it.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
Of the 2, Scanlan Oaks is the better option. Just make sure you buy on the correct side to be zoned to it.
Can you please tell us why? We haven't bought here yet but I'd be interested to know why you think Scanlan Oaks is better than the other 2 elementary schools here (Schiff & Sienna Crossing). I know that both Scanlan Oaks & Sienna Crossing are rated exemplary.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 AM

According to a few clients and speaking with neighbors, Scanlan Oaks is a slightly better choice over Sienna Crossing. I'm assuming it's because of socioeconomics, the more expensive homes are zoned to that school.

I'm sure both Sienna and Scanlan are very good schools, but here is the order I'd put them in. Schiff isn't as highly rated.
1. Scanlan Oaks: Scanlan Oaks Elementary School - rating and statistics - - HAR.com
2. Sienna Crossing: Sienna Crossing Elementary School - rating and statistics - - HAR.com
3. Schiff: Jan Schiff Elementary School - rating and statistics - - HAR.com

Old 12-06-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
According to a few clients and speaking with neighbors, Scanlan Oaks is a slightly better choice over Sienna Crossing. I'm assuming it's because of socioeconomics, the more expensive homes are zoned to that school.

I'm sure both Sienna and Scanlan are very good schools, but here is the order I'd put them in. Schiff isn't as highly rated.
1. Scanlan Oaks: Scanlan Oaks Elementary School - rating and statistics - - HAR.com
2. Sienna Crossing: Sienna Crossing Elementary School - rating and statistics - - HAR.com
3. Schiff: Jan Schiff Elementary School - rating and statistics - - HAR.com
I was going to pose the question to the women's group over here but I think it would spark a very heated debate - especially if I said something about Scanlan Oaks being better because of the socioeconomics of the people zoned to it. If there's anything I avoid, it's starting debates on a women's board (and I'm a woman!).

Houses zoned to Sienna Crossing include houses in Bees Creek Village which are in the 800k range, btw (for those who don't know the real estate here this includes acreage properties with custom 5000sf+ houses; I know you know, CL. ) as well as "regular" neighborhoods with houses in the 300k-400k+ range.

Schiff is relatively new & I think more kids from outside of Sienna proper are zoned to it.

I was hoping for more concrete info but it's interesting that you would think the more expensive neighborhoods here have a better elementary school. I'm going to have to chat up my mom friends here about this now.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I was going to pose the question to the women's group over here but I think it would spark a very heated debate - especially if I said something about Scanlan Oaks being better because of the socioeconomics of the people zoned to it. If there's anything I avoid, it's starting debates on a women's board (and I'm a woman!).

Houses zoned to Sienna Crossing include houses in Bees Creek Village which are in the 800k range, btw (for those who don't know the real estate here this includes acreage properties with custom 5000sf+ houses; I know you know, CL. ) as well as "regular" neighborhoods with houses in the 300k-400k+ range.

Schiff is relatively new & I think more kids from outside of Sienna proper are zoned to it.

I was hoping for more concrete info but it's interesting that you would think the more expensive neighborhoods here have a better elementary school. I'm going to have to chat up my mom friends here about this now.
Hi,

I think it will be hard to find concrete evidence because to be honest, I think both Sienna and Scanlan are very close together and probably interchangeable in rankings. I've just heard this from current Sienna residents, clients, and even some sales associates. It's really all hearsay. The statistics I linked do show a slight skew towards making Scanlan better, but it's not much.

Both are very good schools and I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

Definitely not a good conversations for the women's group of Sienna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston