U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2010, 06:26 PM
 
1 posts, read 6,194 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi we are thinking about moving to Sienna Plantation (Kennett Hill) and wanted to know more about Sienna? We love living inside the loop right now, but we have a baby and want a larger house with better school district. We love having neighbors that we have become good friends with. Do you find that most people stick to themselves or is it a friendly family area to which most know each other?
Do you feel isolated being back so far down (meaning it takes a while to get to Hwy 6) ?
Im used to having so much right around the corner and while I realize I have to sacrifice that to get the house we want (space & $$) we need to move to the burbs. My husband loves golf so Sienna just seems like a great option.
Every time we drive in we see tons of people riding bikes and walking...we just want to make sure that if you live there you love it
Thanks for the info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2010, 07:47 AM
 
22 posts, read 63,104 times
Reputation: 21
Lived there for 4+ years. It is generally a peaceful and friendly area. About half of my daughter's friends are on our street and they are always having parties and playgroups. But we are in one of the new neighborhoods that was characterized as having 'starter homes' when we moved in, so there are naturally lots of families with young kids. Some areas seem to have more mature families, and it probably depends on the $$ of the real estate.

As for distance to amenities, yes that's why we moved. But mostly because I don't work in downtown/medical center, and so I had to go into MoCity/SL area every morning, which is a pain in the neck. If you can hit Almeda Rd or 288 to work, you can get a house near the new McKeever Rd entrance and be there in 45 mins barring any major traffic problems. More things are opening up every month, so it won't be long before Sienna is more self-sufficient.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 AM
 
Location: West Houston
1,075 posts, read 2,791,176 times
Reputation: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jks_family View Post
Hi we are thinking about moving to Sienna Plantation (Kennett Hill) and wanted to know more about Sienna? We love living inside the loop right now, but we have a baby and want a larger house with better school district. We love having neighbors that we have become good friends with. Do you find that most people stick to themselves or is it a friendly family area to which most know each other?
Do you feel isolated being back so far down (meaning it takes a while to get to Hwy 6) ?
Im used to having so much right around the corner and while I realize I have to sacrifice that to get the house we want (space & $$) we need to move to the burbs. My husband loves golf so Sienna just seems like a great option.
Every time we drive in we see tons of people riding bikes and walking...we just want to make sure that if you live there you love it
Thanks for the info!
My nephew, his wife and baby love it. He's a sales rep, so his car is his office, and she's an RN who works the weekend option at the Medical Center; they have lots of friends there and their area seems to be full of kids, at least every time I go out to visit my great-niece (she of the curly hair and fat little legs which move surprisingly fast and a big smile, hug, and kiss for old uncles... (See, everybody, I *CAN* like kids, just in small doses!).

Also, since they've moved to Sienna, the new Kroger and H-E-B have opened, so you don't have to drive so far to get the basics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 PM
 
103 posts, read 419,348 times
Reputation: 51
You made me realize this June we'll be celebrating three years of living in SP. It is a wonderful place to live. Yes, the drive can be a bit of a drag and while the FB Tollway is definitely convenient, we are indeed paying for it (gets pricey fast). Yet, I still have mostly good things to say about Sienna. The high school and the library have been built as promised. And now we're even getting UT Health Physicians opening up soon. Every day, things get better out here, while still maintaining that charm that drew so many of us to SP. In the end, I still have to say, it's worth the drive! Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Houston
75 posts, read 216,544 times
Reputation: 43
My wife's grandmother lives in SP and she loves it. What people are saying above is pretty much true. I think what is going to hurt is that you have been living inside the loop with easy access to city amenities. Not sure where you work but if it is downtown, you may be in a shock on commute time. But like you said in your original post, may have to sacrifice a little to get the house and schools you want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 06:25 AM
 
206 posts, read 460,698 times
Reputation: 61
From the SP website I see some 40+ neighborhoods within the community. Are there some to be avoided? If your looking up to $275K which areas does that exclude? Which areas have better access to western or southern exit/entry pts, if they exist.

Are stores, restaurants, and kids activities (library, indoor pools, soccer fields, inflatable gyms, etc) all within SP or out of the neighborhood? Where Hwy 6, which direction or cities do you go to?
Thanks for your help.

And yes I need a realtor, so anyone with a recommendation for the area can send me a msg.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 10:28 AM
 
103 posts, read 419,348 times
Reputation: 51
The library, pools, gyms, tennis courts, sports complex (with walking trails), stables, are all within Sienna. We have dentists, an ortho, 3 small restaurants (golf club grill, Pepperoni's and Bees Creek Grill)within as well. However there's a brand new shopping center right in front with our main grocery store and lots of new businesses.

$275K will take you a long way here. You really can't go wrong with any neighborhood. I personally like the back part of Sienna. Of course that adds time to your commute, but there's more trees and it looks more established. When leaving Sienna if you go left on HWY 6 it takes you to Sugar Land, to the right takes you to Pearland (6 to 288).

There's a Homefinder Center you can go to to get maps and info.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Pearland, TX
3,333 posts, read 8,743,426 times
Reputation: 2333
Having just built a new home in Pearland, I personally think that Sienna Plantation homes are overpriced (understanding that the difference is the underlying land). Regardless, it's a great place to live.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,988 posts, read 33,463,703 times
Reputation: 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeIsGood View Post
The library, pools, gyms, tennis courts, sports complex (with walking trails), stables, are all within Sienna. We have dentists, an ortho, 3 small restaurants (golf club grill, Pepperoni's and Bees Creek Grill)within as well. However there's a brand new shopping center right in front with our main grocery store and lots of new businesses.

$275K will take you a long way here. You really can't go wrong with any neighborhood. I personally like the back part of Sienna. Of course that adds time to your commute, but there's more trees and it looks more established. When leaving Sienna if you go left on HWY 6 it takes you to Sugar Land, to the right takes you to Pearland (6 to 288).

There's a Homefinder Center you can go to to get maps and info.

Good luck!
What I like about SP is how closely-knit the neighbors are and how much of a community feel it gives off. You don't see that much in suburbs. However, SP is awesome and very diverse. I love it.

Lots of neighborhood events and it was the first place I've ever been that hosted a block party supported by the neighbors (Halloween night) in Texas. It was really cool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Houston area
1,408 posts, read 3,860,574 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
From the SP website I see some 40+ neighborhoods within the community. Are there some to be avoided? If your looking up to $275K which areas does that exclude? Which areas have better access to western or southern exit/entry pts, if they exist.

Are stores, restaurants, and kids activities (library, indoor pools, soccer fields, inflatable gyms, etc) all within SP or out of the neighborhood? Where Hwy 6, which direction or cities do you go to?
Thanks for your help.

And yes I need a realtor, so anyone with a recommendation for the area can send me a msg.
There will be certain communities that will be over the $275k range. Do you have school age children? There are 2 elementary schools in Sienna, one is considered better than the other. But both are very good. You can either go with an existing home which tends to have better in and out access or build a new one.

Most stores are outside the neighborhood, but within the Sienna area. The new HEB is at one of the entrances. The pool and other activity areas are within Sienna.

Hwy 6 takes you to 288 or 59. It's pretty much in the middle of both freeways. You also have the Fort Bend Toll Rd that takes you north and saves you some traffic if you are working in the Medical Center or Downtown, or just plan to visit the museums.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top