Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,748 times

Advertisements

Galveston is a magical and weird place. It will always be, hopefully.

Once cold night in late 2007 the wife and I went fishing off Pier 60 (RIP). We didn't catch jack, BTW.

But as we were still there she wanted her jacket from the vehicle. So I went got it and walked toward the entrance back to the pier and I turned around for some reason. Looked down.

I saw the silhouette of a good size rat. Was it dead? I inched slowly and realized it was alive. It didn't run away. It was actually quite a magnificent animal. Eyes sparkling and it looked up at me as if to say, "What's up?"

It then looked straight again for a few more moments. Then some British dude walking by saw it and I said, "Must be tame?" (I knew it wasn't but just for the sake of conversation.)

He said, "Nah, probably sick." Then the rat was still walking forward, not running. Then it turned left and vanished.

I've had pet rats, I've seen sick rats. And that animal was not sick. The coat was even, shiny and agouti. The body was well-formed.

Rats can read people. Whether wild or tame, they read humans as well as dogs and cats, if not better.

In a documentary: A guy once went home, was really extremely pissed over a bill...and there was a wild rat at the foot of the garbage pail, eating a lamb chop bone. It knew the man was too bitterly distracted to be a threat and kept eating for awhile.

And I was in awe. When I had pet rats, they knew when I had goodies like pizza bits for them and was happy to give it to them, and they were like puppies in a bitty kennel waiting for me to pet them, trying to push the door open. Then other times, they've seen me pissed over a bill, the rats would simply stand and look at me for a bit then go back in their sleeping box.

That rat on Pier 60. That convergence between man and wild animal...in a neutral setting, it knew I meant no harm so it was a fairly illustrative experience. If that animal were in my home, however...no, it would be a different reaction between man and wild animal, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,994,936 times
for a moment there i thought you were going to talk about your wife. stay away from drugs man. get a life

Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
for a moment there i thought you were going to talk about your wife. stay away from drugs man. get a life
You ever think about taking your own advice?

P.S. Capitalization and proper sentence structure is a awesome thing. Try it.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
You ever think about taking your own advice?

P.S. Capitalization and proper sentence structure is a awesome thing. Try it.
atleast stay on topic. 2nd, read then respond. dont just get excited if you see a line you think you can "work with", to impress the 'ladies' in this forum
I am your life, I see that. well youre welcome. you are rich with rep points. wow. f'ing sad

and obviously you have no idea how much money can be made in technology. teh leets dont follow puny rules on how to write. we're used to writing freely.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Lol! Are you angry?

Stay on topic? Again, do..you..take..your..own..advice?

Last edited by Kenpar; 03-19-2010 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 03-23-2010, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 869 times
I am heading to Houston from the midwest in early April to see some baseball. If I travel to Galveston will it be warm enough to swim in the Gulf?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 PM

I'm not sure. I thought it was going to be warm already. I'm hoping by the end of the month it will get warm.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:03 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
You guys should pick up the latest issue of Texas Monthly. There is a long article in there about the harvesting of oysters in Galveston Bay & how it has dwindled to nothing since Ike.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You guys should pick up the latest issue of Texas Monthly. There is a long article in there about the harvesting of oysters in Galveston Bay & how it has dwindled to nothing since Ike.
now THAT is a good tip! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston