Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 PM

55 posts, read 128,639 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am applying for teaching jobs in Houston. Any school districts that are really, really bad and should be avoided? I taught in some pretty scary areas of Los Angeles, so my tolerance is higher than normal. I like working with an high-need student population. But I don't want to work in an unsafe environment.

There are just SO many school districts in and around Houston. I have no idea how to narrow it down.

Thanks!

Last edited by wiley9; 05-25-2010 at 11:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
At this point in Houston, I'd take whatever you could get. It's a very rough market.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 AM

There are SO many more teaching jobs in Houston than in Austin, where I just moved to....

Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley9 View Post
There are SO many more teaching jobs in Houston than in Austin, where I just moved to....
You should look at it like this. There may be no jobs for teachers in Austin and hundreds in Houston. For every job in Houston, there are hundreds of candidates. I have been in education at different levels here in Houston and the Rio Grande Valley. Here's they way I see it this year:

-If you are an attractive, young female, you will likely get a job. Attractive, young females are always hired first, especially at the elementary level.

-Bilingual is still very needed in the Houston area. Districts that had no need for bilingual a mere few years back do now.

-There is still a math and science high school teacher shortage, but it is not nearly as large as it used to be. Furthermore, the math and science shortage for mid levels (4-8) has dwindled considerably.

-Elementary E.C.-4 is over saturated. If you want to know who has the best chance at getting hired, see above.

-Special Education is district to district. Some are expanding in this area and others are not. I'd argue Special Education is a great certification to have in general as it helps you to understand ARD, IEP etc. even if you are not teaching Special Education.

-With that said, specialty areas of Special Education such as autism and deaf education seem to have increasing demands.

-Spring Branch, Houston ISD, Fort Bend and I believe Clear Creek (perhaps somebody could clarify for me) have unspoken hiring freezes. Many more districts are in this situation. The reason they are "unspoken" is because of technicalities. Local government jobs must post for a certain amount of time to the public that is qualified, etc.

Signed, a current substitute for several districts with administration and school board experience still looking for a full time job. I have 12 years experience and great references. It's a VERY difficult market. Knowing what I know within the Houston area, this is how I can best describe the situation here.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:00 PM

258 posts, read 954,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You should look at it like this. There may be no jobs for teachers in Austin and hundreds in Houston. For every job in Houston, there are hundreds of candidates. I have been in education at different levels here in Houston and the Rio Grande Valley. Here's they way I see it this year:

-If you are an attractive, young female, you will likely get a job. Attractive, young females are always hired first, especially at the elementary level.

-Bilingual is still very needed in the Houston area. Districts that had no need for bilingual a mere few years back do now.

-There is still a math and science high school teacher shortage, but it is not nearly as large as it used to be. Furthermore, the math and science shortage for mid levels (4-8) has dwindled considerably.

-Elementary E.C.-4 is over saturated. If you want to know who has the best chance at getting hired, see above.

-Special Education is district to district. Some are expanding in this area and others are not. I'd argue Special Education is a great certification to have in general as it helps you to understand ARD, IEP etc. even if you are not teaching Special Education.

-With that said, specialty areas of Special Education such as autism and deaf education seem to have increasing demands.

-Spring Branch, Houston ISD, Fort Bend and I believe Clear Creek (perhaps somebody could clarify for me) have unspoken hiring freezes. Many more districts are in this situation. The reason they are "unspoken" is because of technicalities. Local government jobs must post for a certain amount of time to the public that is qualified, etc.

Signed, a current substitute for several districts with administration and school board experience still looking for a full time job. I have 12 years experience and great references. It's a VERY difficult market. Knowing what I know within the Houston area, this is how I can best describe the situation here.

I wouldn't say attractive , but you'd probably have an edge if you're young. :P A younger person would most likely be a recent grad (cheaper to hire), and unexperienced, which can be appealing for upper management since they can mold them as they see fit.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM

10 posts, read 35,156 times
In 1956, my parents decided to move; the first criterion governing their choice of a new location was that it had to be anywhere outside HISD's boundaries. It took my sister and myself more than a year to catch up with our new peers at Aldine, then, after another move, with our new peers at Spring Branch. Consider your resume, and the look of disgust that your having worked at certain districts might cause someone evaluating it. (If I were hiring someone, I would base my decision based on his or her credentials and abilities, not the reputation of where he or she might have worked, but I fear that not everyone judges the same way.) I don't think that much has changed in the last 50-odd years regarding reputations, the creation of magnet schools notwithstanding. Check out the Wikipedia article on HISD, and use my friend Google in your search.

Last edited by GeorgeButel; 05-26-2010 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: additional suggestion

Old 05-26-2010, 08:18 PM

crbcrbrgv, thank you for your comments. I really appreciate the time you took to address the issue. It's especially helpful to know about districts' unspoken hiring freezes. I just heard today that it might be happening at a few districts around Austin as well. I'm applying to many districts, and we'll just see what happens.

I hope you are able to find a job this year!

As population grows, how can it be that teaching jobs decrease? Of course it all comes down to money....but I don't understand who is teaching all the kids???

Old 05-26-2010, 11:53 PM

84 posts, read 157,347 times
The original reason I moved to Houston was the potential for a position, at an HISD school, that did not require certification. That job would allow me to pursue an alternative certification program.

After the principal of that school inexplicably backtracked and denied the job she offered me two weeks earlier, for no reason at all... after even going to HISD's HQs denouncing this and having a HR employee basically give me this "you are right sir but we can't do anything" face...

... after having a principal in another HISD school, in another interview, tell me that my four years as a sport official (disciplinary figure) in children/youth leagues was totally worthless experience and not related at all with working with children...

... after interviews where I'd find principals with overinflated egos thinking some God will drop to them and work for $10/hr...

... I pretty much decided to to stop pursuing teaching. Too much BS. The problem will not be the kids; it will be the adults.

I've met people who are teachers... most at Katy... they tell me STAY AWAY FROM HISD.

Oh, and that alternative certification programs' claims of lack of teachers??? These principals sure didn't act like that was the case. Then again I realized most ACPs are also full of B$...

Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 AM

240 posts, read 807,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley9 View Post

As population grows, how can it be that teaching jobs decrease? Of course it all comes down to money....but I don't understand who is teaching all the kids???
I was told at a high school faculty meeting in KISD to expect 30+ kids in all of our classes next year. They (KISD) will not be creating new positions as the population increases and only hiring new teachers to replace ones that are leaving due to budget cuts.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:20 AM

87 posts, read 167,404 times
I've met people who are teachers... most at Katy... they tell me STAY AWAY FROM HISD.

Not all HISD schools are bad and it irritates me that people come on here and in one sweeping statement tell prospective teachers to stay away. My child attends an exemplary rated elementary school within HISD and I couldn't be happier with the school and it's teachers. I have numerous friends that attend different, also exemplary rated elementary schools in HISD that also are pleased with the education and teachers. We moved into HISD from a very highly rated suburban district so we made this choice to go to this school when we moved closer into town.

Yes, HISD has enormous issues at many of its schools, but there are many gems within the district too. I just wanted to present another side since so many people love to bash HISD while they are sitting way outside the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: