Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:56 PM

14 posts, read 47,820 times

Advertisements

First, i know there are a million of these type of posts but i couldnt find just the right one to fit me...

I am a mid-20's single female that just graduated from graduate school at Vanderbilt University (nashville, tn). I have accepted a position in Houston and will be moving there soon. SO i know that where i work makes a big difference in the neighborhood that I chose but I will be working from a home office so that is not a factor for me, but i will need at least 2 bd because of this. I want somewhere fun for a single girl in her 20s...I will be making ~$120k and my only financial responsibilities beyond myself are my two dogs (no car payment, no major debt, etc) so do with that what you will as far as what I can afford. Because of the dogs, I would prefer to be able to find a small house (preferable to rent, for a while at least) with a yard and still be an inexpensive cabride from good night life activities. is this possible in houston? where do i want to be? help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 02:03 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriscay View Post
First, i know there are a million of these type of posts but i couldnt find just the right one to fit me...

I am a mid-20's single female that just graduated from graduate school at Vanderbilt University (nashville, tn). I have accepted a position in Houston and will be moving there soon. SO i know that where i work makes a big difference in the neighborhood that I chose but I will be working from a home office so that is not a factor for me, but i will need at least 2 bd because of this. I want somewhere fun for a single girl in her 20s...I will be making ~$120k and my only financial responsibilities beyond myself are my two dogs (no car payment, no major debt, etc) so do with that what you will as far as what I can afford. Because of the dogs, I would prefer to be able to find a small house (preferable to rent, for a while at least) with a yard and still be an inexpensive cabride from good night life activities. is this possible in houston? where do i want to be? help!!
Sorry, it's a little off topic, but do you mind sharing with me how you did that lol

Cabride? You don't want/have a car? If it needs to be close to the night life, I think you're better off in Montrose. I don't really know, but you can check out har.com. There you can search for rental homes as well. I can't think of another nice neighborhood this close to the night life. Maybe even in Midtown. I think there are several rental homes on Caroline St. Har.com also lets you select an area.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:09 PM

i do have a car! sorry...i meant "cabride for the evenings that, due to night life adventures, i do not feel comfortable driving home" haha..since I will be moving alone, I would just prefer to avoid the need for a designated driver every time i go out. So maybe what I meant was "reasonable cabride to take once or twice a week" :-)

Old 03-21-2010, 02:11 PM

oh - and to answer your question, I have a phD in chemistry and am going into a position that combines the good money of capital equipment sales with the necessity for life science PhD qualifications...they are rare positions and even rarer are the PhD's with the people skills to do them. haha. so basically, i'm a good talker and I got lucky!

Old 03-21-2010, 05:12 PM

23 posts, read 29,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriscay View Post

Hi, how are you doing?

Old 03-21-2010, 05:21 PM

221 posts, read 611,387 times
You will do fine on that salary.

2505 McDuffie St 1, Houston, TX 77019 - HAR.com

1122 W Bell, Houston, TX 77019 - HAR.com

1615 Houston Av, Houston, TX 77007 - HAR.com

4307 Blossom, Houston, TX 77007 - HAR.com

I think you will like the last one for the close proximity to Washington AVE. AKA drunk paradise

Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,420 times
Welcome to Houston. It is a great city to live.

Going back to your post... I think you could look for Condos (Aprox 185,000 2B/1B, Pet friendly) around Galleria Area, especially on Bering Dr., Augusta Dr. between Westheimer and Wood Way Dr. This is a central location (sort of). You can go to Richmond Ave to explore night life ($5~10 cab fare) or you can go to Midtown ($15 cab fare) or Washington Avenue ($15~20 cab fare). You can also go for shopping at Galleria Mall and there are hundreds of restaurants. Try to stay in between south of I-10, between 610 Loop to Voss Rd and north of Richmond ave, if you find any single family house in this zone it should be a good buy. Its a vey nice area.

These conds seem to retian there values. If you prefer to buy a single family house then I would recommend to go outside the the HWY 6. You may have to go to sub-urbs then you have to compromise the night life.

Hope it helps

Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,780 times
Eastwood for you

Old 03-22-2010, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,302 times
As a late 20s single girl, I live in Montrose, about to move on Washington Ave and I'd say probably the Heights if you're looking for a house. Montrose/Washington is good too but probably won't find too many houses. Midtown might work but a little further away from the nightlife if that's a concern (why I'm moving TO Washington )

Old 03-22-2010, 01:13 PM

7 posts, read 12,999 times
I would definitely say a cozy remodeled house (not townhouse) in the Heights. Should be some nice ones around 300k that you could easily afford with your income. It will put you close to downtown and also within 2-3 miles of nightlife (washington, midtown) while still having a nice yard for your dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: