Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 04:27 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times

Advertisements

While the Katy Mills area is far from the CBD, it is close to the Energy Corridor, a major business district. The Energy Corridor needs people to man its sandwich shops, its gas stations, and its retail stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Not everybody wants to live in a ghetto. Why not build in in Houston?
If by Houston, you are referring to the central city, the thing is that much of the central city is already built-out. There are parts of southern Houston that are relatively undeveloped, but developers are going there too.

The proposed Section 8 site in particular is close to a major business district and is not totally built out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree with this. I think another would be nice smack down in the middle of River Oaks!
River Oaks is already built-out, and so is the surrounding area.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:20 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
While the Katy Mills area is far from the CBD, it is close to the Energy Corridor, a major business district. The Energy Corridor needs people to man its sandwich shops, its gas stations, and its retail stores.

If by Houston, you are referring to the central city, the thing is that much of the central city is already built-out. There are parts of southern Houston that are relatively undeveloped, but developers are going there too.

The proposed Section 8 site in particular is close to a major business district and is not totally built out yet.

River Oaks is already built-out, and so is the surrounding area.
The Energy Corridor already has it's low rent apartment to manage it's sandwich shops etc. Other than people not wanting to live smack up next to them, they haven't affected the area...nor the schools. But then they've had 50 years to work it out. Who knows how people felt about "those apartments" being build by the freeway in the cow pasture" decades ago.

River Oaks has a few sprinkled around...

Having property value and location as the bigger draw than cheaper homes and public education, seems to be a mood leveler.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 AM

Whatever low rent properties that are inside the Energy Corridor already (Tully Stadium Area) may be torn down to develop something else (higher land values mean that the owners may be interested in making money by selling to someone else - and then what replaces the low rent apartments may be retail or offices)

Even if the Tully stadium apartments stay, the Energy Corridor itself will expand, and not everyone can live in the Tully stadium apartments.

Since it becomes too expensive to develop inside the actual business district, then the more inexpensive properties will have to be around the area.

There are some lower rent properties in areas surrounding River Oaks, like in Neartown

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The Energy Corridor already has it's low rent apartment to manage it's sandwich shops etc. Other than people not wanting to live smack up next to them, they haven't affected the area...nor the schools. But then they've had 50 years to work it out. Who knows how people felt about "those apartments" being build by the freeway in the cow pasture" decades ago.

River Oaks has a few sprinkled around...

Having property value and location as the bigger draw than cheaper homes and public education, seems to be a mood leveler.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:58 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Well what slays me in here is the attitude towards the MAJORITY of people that live in low rent apartments...even more so some if it's coming from people that consider themselves "compassionate liberals." I didn't think far left wingers had NIMBYS

Poor doesn't mean dangerous or dead beat. Do a mentorship program please, and contribute to the problem, not compalin about it. Everyone knows in this economy that the middle class is only a few paychecks from low-income apartments themselves. Heck even some of the border line upper-middles might have to seek lower income house after extended unemployment.

Anyway, this arguement comes up all the time on this board. So I'm out.

I'm just glad that there's somewhere to go if the bottom drops out.

Vic: You are right about the Tully area though. If they ever tear them down (which I don't think is happening anytime soon) what will got back is higer end town homes. It seems to be the trend in this city. The difference here is that the schools are very good, so the concept has a good chance of working. But like I said, I don't see it happening for a long time.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
I'm broke. I live in an apartment. I guess I'm not welcome in Katy.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

Houston is big.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,916 times
It also seems like there are a lot of younger, immature posters who only want these lower-income apartments in the area out of spite. I guess this is they're way of getting back at "The Man"

And I'm a black woman that volunteers and mentors a lot at lower income apartments, so miss me with the comments.

The parents have every right to be concerned. Schools in those areas tend to be strong due to heavy parental involvement. I have a feeling that a lot of the teachers in those schools will not know how to deal with children from lower-income areas. I remember when a superintendent of schools got in trouble when he alluded to the fact that a lot of the white, middle-class women that go into teaching do not know how to relate to a minority, lower-income child. A lot of people got really angry at him, but there is some truth behind that. I'm not even a parent, and I can understand this.

I'm not a betting woman, but if you have a glut of lower-income, single-parent head of households concentrated in an area, more than likely, these are women who are probably working multiple part-time jobs, struggling to make ends meet. They may be also going back to school to better themselves. All in all, they're not going to have the time to dedicate to their children's education the same way a middle-class SAHM would.

Also, an unincorporated area or a smaller suburban city isn't going to have the same services (community centers, job programs, etc.) the same way a major city would. So now you'll have a bunch of bored kids trying to find something to do. Some of these kids can be easily influenced to do the wrong thing.

Also, it's not as if this hasn't happened before. Weren't Mission Bend and Alief considered middle-income areas, and then a bunch of Section 8 housing/apartments came into the area?

Greenspoint had this issue too, right? But wasn't that more of an issue of unscrupulous landlords just needing warm bodies to fill their apartments?

PG County up here in the DC area and Clayton County in Atlanta have been dealing with issues of crime due to the glut of lower-income residences that have popped up since most of the people that were displaced due to gentrification tend to go to those areas. You can move people all around if you want to, but you can't move the mentality.

This is all a part of the upcoming race war anyhow. I wish people would wake the hell up...

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 03-26-2010 at 07:51 AM..

Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
It also seems like there are a lot of younger, immature posters who only want these lower-income apartments in the area out of spite. I guess this is they're way of getting back at "The Man"

And I'm a black woman that volunteers and mentors a lot at lower income apartments, so miss me with the comments.

The parents have every right to be concerned. Schools in those areas tend to be strong due to heavy parental involvement. I have a feeling that a lot of the teachers in those schools will not know how to deal with children from lower-income areas. I remember when a superintendent of schools got in trouble when he alluded to the fact that a lot of the white, middle-class women that go into teaching do not know how to relate to a minority, lower-income child. A lot of people got really angry at him, but there is some truth behind that. I'm not even a parent, and I can understand this.

I'm not a betting woman, but if you have a glut of lower-income, single-parent head of households concentrated in an area, more than likely, these are women who are probably working multiple part-time jobs, struggling to make ends meet. They may be also going back to school to better themselves. All in all, they're not going to have the time to dedicate to their children's education the same way a middle-class SAHM would.

Also, an unincorporated area or a smaller suburban city isn't going to have the same services (community centers, job programs, etc.) the same way a major city would. So now you'll have a bunch of bored kids finding any sort of trouble to get into.

Also, it's not as if this hasn't happened before. Weren't Mission Bend and Alief considered middle-income areas, and then a bunch of Section 8 housing/apartments came into the area?

Greenspoint had this issue too, right? But wasn't that more of an issue of unscrupolous landlords just needing warm bodies to fill their apartments?

PG County up here in the DC area and Clayton County in Atlanta have been dealing with issues of crime due to the glut of lower-income residences that have popped up since most of the people that were displaced due to gentrification tend to go to those areas. You can move people all around if you want to, but you can't move the mentality.

This is all a part of the upcoming race war anyhow. I wish people would wake the hell up...
Thank you for your input.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Race war? Not on my watch

Everyone is friends with everyone here.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:54 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:

Also, an unincorporated area or a smaller suburban city isn't going to have the same services (community centers, job programs, etc.) the same way a major city would. So now you'll have a bunch of bored kids trying to find something to do. Some of these kids can be easily influenced to do the wrong thing.

Greenspoint had this issue too, right? But wasn't that more of an issue of unscrupulous landlords just needing warm bodies to fill their apartments?

Finally an intelligent, educated and well thought-out post here. Thank you.

Except your last comment throws me off

(Vicman, your posts are usually helpful as well.)

Something else not mentioned, but really the main people who benefit from these are the DEVELOPERS. They're laughing all the way to the bank while all of this infighting goes on. They get MILLIONS from the state for free, to help built their development, but you won't see them building it anywhere near their million-dollar home in their own neighborhood! They don't build these out of the goodness of their hearts, they're doing it all for profit! Why don't some of you young and immature posters direct some of your anger at them instead of concerned parents? Sorry, but some of you are really naive.

Also remember, if the Katy complex doesn't get built, it just means another competing complex somewhere else will get the points and funding. All of the applicants are competing for the funds, but there is only so much funding to go around. Obviously, a few of you holier-than-thou know-it-alls who are so condescending against suburbia even understand how this TDHCA system works. But, I can't say I'm surprised...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: