U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:54 PM

111 posts, read 345,407 times

Advertisements

So, my family and I are most certainly moving to Texas from SLC. We've narrowed it down to Houston and Dallas, and I'm more inclined to Houston. The only reservation my wife has against Houston is the hurricanes.
If someone could explain how this affects the daily lives of people living in the Houston area (not Galveston), it would be much appreciated. As many details as possible, please!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:02 PM

9,053 posts, read 16,221,044 times
I have lived here since 1972 and went through only three (if you want to count Rita, which was very mild). That's 3 days out of 38 years.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:05 PM

111 posts, read 345,407 times
But what about power outages, insurance rates, flooding, etc?

Old 03-23-2010, 06:08 PM

488 posts, read 1,315,411 times
We have lived here for almost 19 months - just in time to enjoy Ike !! We evacuated to Dallas for 3 days and had a week without power on our return. Our son was off school for 2 weeks. Let's face it though that was very unlucky timing on our part and still wasn't the end of the world. I know a lot of people had it a lot worse than us. All that said it wouldn't make me move elsewhere - anything could happen anywhere and you just have to take the appropriate precautions during Hurricane season - oh and good insurance !!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM

571 posts, read 1,219,730 times
Well, I think a lot of the national coverage Houston gets b/c of the hurricanes is pretty blown out of proportion.

Ike was the first hurricane to really IMPACT Houston in a while. In H-Town, the main concerns w/ hurricanes are flooding and power outages. Trees too to a certain extent.

Flooding - H-town is one giant concrete slab and while our water evacuation routes are decent, there's not enough soil to soak up excess amounts of water so a bunch of rain all at once tends to cause flooding. When buying a house in Houston, it's always an excellent idea to seek out higher areas and you should ALWAYS ask if the house sits in a flood plane or an area prone to flooding when viewing a house that's for sale. A good Houston realtor will be able to lead you away from the lower laying areas. That being said, Houston flooding, IMO, is rare. Like I said, it only becomes a problem when there's excessive rainfall...and I mean EXCESSIVE (Tropical Storm Allison dumped 35 in. in around two days...that's what I mean by excessive).

Power Outages - Ike left parts of Houston w/ out power for up to 3 weeks. As a result, traffic around the city was unbelievable as people had to drive great distances to get gas for generators, ice and water. This is always a toss up though. You never know if your power is going to go out in a storm so there's not much you can do to prevent his except cross your fingers and pray

Trees - when Ike came through downed trees were an issue. Houston is a pretty green, leafy city so trees can pose a threat in those kind of situations. This is only if hurricanes plow through though.

Like I said, strong hurricanes like Ike are pretty rare. That's not to say that if one hits in Louisiana that Houston will stay completely dry but we'll get some rain and maybe a strong gust here or there but certainly nothing to pack up and leave town over. The weather stations and the Houston City government are always VERY good about keeping us informed and letting us know the measures we need to take. Personally, I wouldn't let hurricanes be the reason why I not pick Houston...

Also, like others have suggested - a good homeowners insurance policy

Last edited by vertigo5110; 03-23-2010 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: i stink at grammar :-(

Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 PM

460 posts, read 2,335,438 times
The majority of homes that experienced flooding in Allison were NOT in a designated flood zone. IF you're concerned about flooding, wherever you end up in Houston, consider buying flood insurance. It's only a few hundred $/yr. Your normal home insurance will NOT cover ANY claims due to rising water, no matter how good a policy you buy. Of course, if you're in a designated flood zone, and if you have a mortgage, it's almost certain that your mortgage company will require flood insurance.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvad242 View Post
But what about power outages, insurance rates, flooding, etc?
Ok, you are right - counting Tropical Storm Allison and the hurricanes' power outages, etc. - I was impacted for 10 days total. I didn't buy in an area that floods - I had a good Realtor.

Having said that, would I live in Galveston? No, I am a sissy - I admit it. Living on the shore would be scary to me - but people having been doing it forever.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 PM

8,307 posts, read 37,376,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvad242 View Post
So, my family and I are most certainly moving to Texas from SLC. We've narrowed it down to Houston and Dallas, and I'm more inclined to Houston. The only reservation my wife has against Houston is the hurricanes.
If someone could explain how this affects the daily lives of people living in the Houston area (not Galveston), it would be much appreciated. As many details as possible, please!
Well, it really has about zero impact on my daily life unless that daily life is during the 16 days without power following Hurricane Ike. The nice thing about a hurricane is that you will not get surprised by one, it isn't like a tornado or an earthquake where you live under a shadow.

You should really be more concerned about all the feral hogs and deadly snakes.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
The majority of homes that experienced flooding in Allison were NOT in a designated flood zone. IF you're concerned about flooding, wherever you end up in Houston, consider buying flood insurance. It's only a few hundred $/yr. Your normal home insurance will NOT cover ANY claims due to rising water, no matter how good a policy you buy. Of course, if you're in a designated flood zone, and if you have a mortgage, it's almost certain that your mortgage company will require flood insurance.
True - it's cheap as long as you don't buy in a flood zone.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM

8,815 posts, read 18,706,210 times
If you like the city, don't let a hurricane deter you. It isn't that often and when it does happen it affects everyone even people 60 miles from the coast. Downed trees - downed power lines, tornadoes, flood water -- it happens but its rare. You live in other cities - you have tornado alley, earthquakes, floods, other issues - so no place is perfect. I live 12-15 miles from Galveston Bay (Kemah)(if you draw a line) and had zero problems from Hurricane Ike - no power for about 5 days. My boss who lives about 60 miles away in the Woodlands had no power for 10-12 days. Plus you do have a warning and you aren't hit by surprise by a hurricane. Now streets flood all the time when it rains - but you learn to how avoid or get around those as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>