Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,517 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana] My Daughter is having issues at school with her classmates, Let me start out by saying she is a strait A student and has never missed a day of school and is in all the gifted and talented classes. Her friends at school seem to always talk about Jesus; this is a subject that she really does not believe in. She has to hear her friends all day long talk about Gay people like they have a illness mind you my brother is gay, and how anyone who doesn’t believe in Jesus is going to hell. This from a girl whose father is a sex offender in which we found on Watchdog.com. My Daughter feels like if she says something that she is going to be outed and is considering Home school because of this. It is a heavy burden to bear as a 13-year-old girl. Im on here looking for Youth groups that she might find interest in being around others like herself. If so please send me the link[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,516 times
I think you should get her into appeciation of religions and be more open minded about the possibility that there might be something out there.

Either that or just tell her to not express her opinion on this ONE subject with her friends. I am sure young teen girls have tons of other subjects to talk about.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Move out of Texas City, for starters. You're asking about something that's just not mainstream in that place. I know, I grew up and went to school there.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 PM

454 posts, read 1,585,816 times
I disagree about having her not express her opinions. She has a right to her opinions just as they do. I do agree however with her being able to be open minded to other peoples opinions or beliefs. She does not have to agree with them, but she simply needs to understand their POV and she needs to make friends with others who can understand her POV. Everyone does not need to surround themselves with like-minded people, that is what keeps this cycle or prejudism and racism alive. So, my opinion is not to help close your daughters mind, she can consider herself open minded because she is ok with homosexuality, because she does not prescribe to any religions, etc...but if she can't handle people with different beliefs than her own, then she is just as close minded as they are, just on the other side of the coin.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,515 times
You'd probably have fewer issues with this in Houston than in Texas City.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,642 times
I find it hard to believe that she can't find a group of friends who at the very least, don't really discuss that aspect of their lives. Regardless, she should never feel ashamed about her beliefs or non-beliefs. Polls show the percentage of Americans that classify themselves as non-believers or non-religious to be somewhere from 10-20%. I would reiterate with her that it is ok to disagree with her friends, but to be respectful about it. If certain "friends" make her feel bad or refuse to stop trying to convert her, then she should find new ones. But again, I think it is important for her to continue to seek a diverse friend group... being able to socialize with people from all different backgrounds is an important life skill.

To answer your request though, there are groups in Houston for nonbelievers. I'd start here: The Houston Freethought Alliance

Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Either that or just tell her to not express her opinion on this ONE subject with her friends.
Why does she have to be the one to suppress her beliefs/non-beliefs? She should be respectful of others beliefs, but shouldn't feel embarrassed about her own. If her friends have an issue with her beliefs then that is THEIR issue, not hers.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:08 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Why does she have to be the one to suppress her beliefs/non-beliefs? She should be respectful of others beliefs, but shouldn't feel embarrassed about her own. If her friends have an issue with her beliefs then that is THEIR issue, not hers.

She's 13, not 17.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 PM

454 posts, read 1,585,816 times
What doer her age matter when it comes to her beliefs?

On a side note, I remember a Chris Rock skit where he talked about the benefits of not calling them beliefs, but rather ideas. Because people will die and kill over a belief, but an idea....you can change an idea. So as you get older, wiser, or influenced by some outside force, your ideas can change. It always stuck with me, and I like the concept of ideas over beliefs.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
She's 13, not 17.
What does that have to do with anything? If it is acceptable for her friends to talk about their relationship with God/Jesus/Allah/Buddha/Flying Spaghetti Monster then what's wrong with her saying I don't believe in a god. If a friend invites her to VBS, does she have to make up a reason why she can't go, or is it ok for her to say she doesn't believe in that?

Last edited by LostInHouston; 04-12-2009 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston