Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:49 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
how about the 2+ million dollar ad during the stuperbowl? i mean really? we need to spend that kind of money on an ad to tell us to fill out a "questionnaire?"
Yes, because there are a lot of idiots in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstmom View Post
I had a similar experience. I did not receive a letter/postcard nor a census form (maybe because I am in new construction and my address isn't in the post office database, who knows). I called my local census office for Harris County that was on the census website. The lady who answered said she didn't know how to help and gave me the nationwide 1-800. However she gave me the job line instead of the help line. I got the help line off the web and the recorded message says I need a census ID number to get a form mailed to me. I don't have a census ID because I have not received any communication yet!

Supposedly the main point of the bureaucracy set up for the census is to make sure everyone is counted. I am not being counted and I am trying to communicate that to them but I am not getting anywhere!
Awesome. Just awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Did this census thing already, takes a couple of minutes.

IIRC shorter than the one that was given out 10 years ago.

I'm also wondering where all the complainers were 10 years ago...
They were around...just not on the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Is there anyone else out there who sees this whole census crap as a waste of money since the IRS already knows how many tax payers there are and how many dependents they have? Forgive my mistrust for your useless criminal, corrupt, lying conniving govt. They never gave me/us any reason to trust their motives for such things as counting us or any other reason they seek private information for.
*Waste of money? Yes.
*The IRS knowing how many tax payers there are is irrelevant to the Census. Now, just for curiosity's sake, I'd like to find out how many people that took the Census actually paid taxes. That should be interesting.
*What is so private about your skin color, age, and how many kids you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
They were around...just not on the Internet.

Interesting, I was almost out of HS in '95, and graduated from college in '00. I watched the complete transformation of the Internet through those years, and it more or less became what it is today by the year 2000. It was still a very booming 'place' then.

This is just like the Tea Party movement. "Oh, these guys were around 10 years ago BUT --insert Johnny-come-lately excuse here--." I can appreciate the arguments / sentiments, but the excuses for the timing casts doubt regarding the real motivation, and makes it very hard for me to take seriously. (And the absolute yahoos blazing those trails just make it worse.)

Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Interesting, I was almost out of HS in '95, and graduated from college in '00. I watched the complete transformation of the Internet through those years, and it more or less became what it is today by the year 2000. It was still a very booming 'place' then.

This is just like the Tea Party movement. "Oh, these guys were around 10 years ago BUT --insert Johnny-come-lately excuse here--." I can appreciate the arguments / sentiments, but the excuses for the timing casts doubt regarding the real motivation, and makes it very hard for me to take seriously. (And the absolute yahoos blazing those trails just make it worse.)

tstone, sometimes I wonder about you. Come on. College wasn't that long ago--didn't you take a history class? People have been bitching about the census for a long time, mainly about its flaws (less about the "invasion of privacy"). I don't really understand what those flaws are, I'm guessing it has something to do with similar stories to Easily Amused's and not receiving them. I can remember the 1990 census and people complaining on the news about it--I think every 10 years they try to get different info and it just isn't consistent. I'd ask you, though, to please not casually lump me in with a certain group's dynamics and make broad assumptions just because you can't figure out anything else to do with my post. I would hope you would know better than that. "Oh, it's just like you liberals to think it's okay for the government to know everything about you." --does that apply to you?

The Internet forum as we know it was NOT a booming place in the late '90s unless you were "in the know". Usenet and maybe Delphi were the only "forums" aka "bulletin boards" I knew of and they were very limited. I believe it was Delphi that coined the phrase "Internet Forum", and they didn't even do that until 1998. The Internet really didn't become a mainstream voice for politics until more user-friendly programs came along, like cgi, php, etc. and Average Joe could figure out how to run a program without having to buy a $10K server and with minimal programming skills.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Some people are getting TWO and I didn't get one, and apparently can't get a replacement nor one sent...oh well. Federal Government in it's fine working form.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I'd ask you, though, to please not casually lump me in with a certain group's dynamics and make broad assumptions just because you can't figure out anything else to do with my post. I would hope you would know better than that. "Oh, it's just like you liberals to think it's okay for the government to know everything about you." --does that apply to you?

The census wants to know everything about me? Did you get the same form I did? Did it ask you what kind of pills you're taking? As for knowing better, right back at you. You remind me of another individual in here who either hints at or flat-out calls me 'Republican' like a slur.

I'm not old enough for '90, but do remember the controversy of the '00 census-- and that was a debacle being @ school away from home. Statistical data/methods and experimental design for social science will never be perfect. We are not widgets coming off the conveyor belt. However, I don't remember the level of idiocy bringing this to the forefront in '00, along with some ridiculous conspiracy theories this same group of whiners has put out there.

Perhaps I'm biased, having a Stat minor and 18 hrs towards an MS in Stat MS, but I'm all for the census (even with its obvious flaws) and don't believe the questions were invasive in '00-- and even less so in '10. And if that makes me a 'liberal,' then disparagingly label me as you wish.

And as for forums, I'm talking about '00, not '98. That's two different generations around a huge boom. I wasn't really "in the know" but was an active member of several forums in '00 (cars, video games, politics, dating, other inane subjects), and the interfaces looked very similar to this one here. IE 5.5 FTW. Never paid for any of them either.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I think I'm agreeing with you here, because I went on line and I can print it out and mail it in...I can't fill it out on line...they want that stamp paid for.
Where can I get this Census2010 form on the their website? I tried to search it out but couldnt find it. I guess I received on form earlier but lost it. To be honest, I dont even remember getting one.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
lots of paranoid idiots. if youre black and have indian ancentry, just check the boxes. if youre south korean or north korean - nobody wants to hear about your "history", just check korean!

and ya internet forums were already around in 1995. those ascii emoticons were the bomb back then

Old 04-01-2010, 09:48 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I filled out my census yesterday.

Cant believe I got 3 other pieces of mail about it besides the form. The Government is wasting a lot of money it seems. Par for the course I guess.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:33 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I filled out my census yesterday.

Cant believe I got 3 other pieces of mail about it besides the form. The Government is wasting a lot of money it seems. Par for the course I guess.
Fill one out for me. I never got one and could care less. Wasn't yesterday the dead line? I wonder if some grossly overpaid govt clown will come looking for me. I wish them luck.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Fill one out for me. I never got one and could care less. Wasn't yesterday the dead line? I wonder if some grossly overpaid govt clown will come looking for me. I wish them luck.

Beware of the black helicopters......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston