Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times

Advertisements

You could probably tie in the First ward and its neighbor to the North - Woodland Heights. Its where the lights in the Heights are, many neat houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 05:21 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
Great photos as usual! Saw some cool things I haven't seen before, even though I frequent the Heights a bit.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
You could probably tie in the First ward and its neighbor to the North - Woodland Heights. Its where the lights in the Heights are, many neat houses.
Last May I did a walk from downtown to the Heights and went through Woodland Heights. I dare say that was the highlight of the whole outing, and that was between a stroll down Heights Boulevard, some skyline looks over 45 and some wonderfully gritty stuff from North Main/Quitman area. Certainly wouldn't mind giving it another visit, maybe straying off White Oak Drive next time. I might even shoot it straight up Houston Avenue from west of downtown and check out some side streets. A certain former Houston mod here recommended that to me awhile back. Who knows, I might make it back to where I ended this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Great photos as usual! Saw some cool things I haven't seen before, even though I frequent the Heights a bit.
Big part of why I do this. Even I notice things I didn't know were there if I only drove through the spot before.

Noticing some new names in the comments over these last few threads - thanks for viewing.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,440 times
I LOVE THE SPANISH FLOWER!!! That restaurant is awesome...

Old 06-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Hooray bumpage.

I just wanted to mention that, between Heights Boulevard and Yale on 12th Street - I didn't catch this on this walk I did in March but I probably will eventually - there is the old fire station (built 1914) that was once the fire station, city hall and jail for the town of Houston Heights before it was absorbed into Houston. It was retired as a fire station in 1995, but it is used as a gathering place. Tonight my cousin's wedding reception was there, and though there were about more people than the building could really hold - it was something. Historic photos all over the place. Flyers from Heights home tours from 20-30 years ago and older. Actual artifacts from houses and other buildings that were destroyed. It's a veritable treasure trove of Heights history. I'm thinking about obtaining, if for one shoot, a camera that is better indoors and seeing if I can't go back in and show some of this stuff.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:07 PM

133 posts, read 480,504 times
Very nice. Do you do this just to showcase an area?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:50 PM

You could say there are multiple purposes, and that may well be one of them.

For one, I go out and explore a part or maybe several parts of the city and find things I may have never noticed before, if in fact I've even been through there. I walked through some streets of the Heights there I'd never even driven down, yet I still knew where I was going. For another, I kind of started doing this partially to demonstrate that, yes, you can walk and/or get around on public transit in Houston, no matter what you've heard. Then there is the photography element itself. I started doing this a couple years ago and I feel like I've come a little ways as far as developing an eye, more techniques and such while using the same equipment.

Somebody called a "mission" awhile back. I tend not to use such pretentious terms, but if that's what it looks like to someone else, then maybe that's what it is.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:25 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
excellent

Old 06-20-2010, 06:17 AM

125 posts, read 203,876 times
That was cool. I didn't even know that the Heights was once its own town. Great pics.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
lol - I was amused by the publicity-hound Shelia Jackson Lee sign -- even in a photo essay she isn't associated with -- she managed to sneak in some publicity!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston