Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:36 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
And that's why they were all built so fast and in one area...the oil boom.
I often wonder if Eldridge between Westheimer and Briar Forest could one day become the next Gulfton. Blasphemy some of you say now, but I'm sure many said the same thing to "I wonder if the Heights will ever gentrify?" not too long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:15 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Many of the apartments in southwestern Houston were not designed for families to begin with - they were designed only for couples and singles, and they were established in the short term in the pre-Fair Housing Act, pre-oil bust environment.
Exactly. One Rep.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:26 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I often wonder if Eldridge between Westheimer and Briar Forest could one day become the next Gulfton. Blasphemy some of you say now, but I'm sure many said the same thing to "I wonder if the Heights will ever gentrify?" not too long ago.
I doubt it. There are exceptions to the rule, and I think Eldridge is one of them. Now, if you had said all of those apartments on Kingsland near Taylor High School in Katy, then I'd agree. The apartments on Eldridge are too high dollar and in too high dollar of an area to become the next Gulfton, in my opinion.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:41 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
The first time I drove that stretch of Eldridge a few years back, I was rather taken aback at how many huge apartment complexes there were one after another. Sure, they look nice and fancy now but what if they change ownership? And I keep reading all of these articles about the downturn in the apartment market in Houston (both in rents and in the value of the properties themselves)... I don't think it was a great idea to allow most of that stretch to be built into apartments. Makes for a very transient population right there. Reminded me some of E Riverside in Austin... but at least they have the excuse of it helping to house UT students (yet that area still has lots of problems, at least by Austin standards.)

Old 04-04-2010, 05:44 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,452 times
I never understood the apartment ownership change thing. How so the new owners get away with making a nice place into a slum?

Also, aren't big city's pretty transient friendly anyway?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
Of course, people against low-income housing must be racist!

Call Al Sharpton now!

Well I think thats a little extreme, I wouldnt call him for anything. And FYI there are black and hispanic residents who are and will be against any low income housing near their homes! Because you know we buy houses too.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
Quote:
Hard to see anything closer to Briar Forest over there going Gulfton. They've done a really nice job stamping the area upscale. But anything close to Westhiemer could go to the dog any time the wind changes.

Things close to BF are zone to Westside and Westbriar Middle, those schools are making property values take off. So when property value goes up, going Gulfton becomes less of a reality.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Hard to see anything closer to Briar Forest over there going Gulfton. They've done a really nice job stamping the area upscale. But anything close to Westhiemer could go to the dog any time the wind changes.

Things close to BF are zone to Westside and Westbriar Middle, those schools are making property values take off. So when property value goes up, going Gulfton becomes less of a reality.

Love you all, but you are all crazy. That stuff on Eldridge will plummet like a rock eventually.

I don't care how nice the complexes start out, I don't care if you dip them in gold, when you have that many clumped together the area will not hold up well.

Every Gulfton, every Broadway Boulevard, every place like that started out really nice at one point. Eventually what happens is the apartments get a little older, the high end tenants want the latest and greatest and are very fickle. They will pack up and move on a whim. They don't have a lot of loyalty to the complex. Let just one or two owners that are over leveraged get a little desperate and lower their standards and suddenly crime takes off and the reputation of the area declines. More good tenants move out and more good tenants just avoid it and go elsewhere. It just starts a spiral down. Eldridge is by no stretch of the imagination immune to that.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM

108 posts, read 134,908 times
where can you smoke in texas?gwena

Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
Quote:
Possibly if another big oil bust happens. Many of those apts are for oil company staff and contractors who work on projects in the energy corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston