Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:28 PM

847 posts, read 1,742,835 times

Advertisements

if you're a beer drinker, you could go to the St Arnolds brewery tour.... they now have weekday tours. and it's not expensive... $7 to get in, and you get 4 drink tokens....

Saint Arnold: Brewery Tours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 PM

789 posts, read 1,519,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
The downtown Houston tunnel system is not unlike the stores etc. found in underground subway systems in places like New York, Paris, Tokyo, etc. Houston, of course, does not have a subway so it's just an underground tunnel system that connects the basements of major downtown office sky scrapers with corridors, eateries, shops etc. Some people in Houston find it fascinating but, frankly, its not. I think some find it interesting becasue it is not visible at street level; thus, unless one knows about it the system is a mystery/surprise. Since downtown Houston has very few residents (it's pretty much only daytime office workers) the tunnel system is a M-F 9 to 5pm phenomenon for office workers.
Well I'm sure the tunnel system isn't all it's cracked up to be. Otherwise I would hear about it more often. I would just like to check it out. When I was in Maryland I would go to Washington, and the tunnel system there is quite awesome. Great place to go to when it's hot outside, which it was. We happened to go to Washington on it's record breaking day! I would still like to take pictures though. Just for memories sake(you never know what will change in Houston).

Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,183,937 times
Just watch out.......

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...nel-scream.jpg

Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 PM

33 posts, read 164,332 times
I wanna thank you all for your replies, you gave me a lot of good ideas. I think Galveston works for me and some of the other stuff you mentioned. I don't have any kids and of course I'll have a car, already booked it. I fly to Houston, grab my car, drive to Lufkin first, for Larry Hagman, after that I spend the weekend with some good friends in Beaumont but they have to go back to work on Monday and then I come back to Houston or go to Galveston right away. Got the priceline.com hotel negotiator app on my iphone and I'm gonna bid on a hotel room wherever I end up. Worked like a charm when I was in Orlando and L.A.

To go to Corpus Christi might be a little far, isn't it? Just for a day trip I mean.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 PM

33 posts, read 164,332 times
I'm in Houston and tomorrow morning I'm heading towards Galveston. Any volunteers who want to show me around? Hehehe. Haven't looked for a hotel yet. I do that spontaneous

Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,410,064 times
Eh, can't make it to Galveston tomorrow, and I haven't been around Galveston much lately to know what's up and what's not - especially since the hurricane.

And yes, Corpus is a bit of a haul. You might as well add Austin or San Antonio to your "day trip" options if you're wanting to do that kind of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston