U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 AM

460 posts, read 2,310,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilmore77 View Post
...will call around to contractors to get an idea as well. I have even considered getting that wall knocked out to make a larger game room, but I dunno.....
Call Jimmy Jines, 832.347.4796. Independent carpenter. He re-built my patio after Ike and did a number of other things too. He stays pretty busy but if you can get on his schedule, he's great to work with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 AM

2,480 posts, read 6,521,494 times
On our first house the only thing we had the builder do was put in lighting for sconces. We wired ourselves later. It was time consuming.

Next (current) house we spent a lot of good money having the builder wire everything for us. The wiring of our house was one of our main upgrades, but we wired a lot more than just the media room (which we use at least 3 times a week). And we were able to talk to the wiring guys (the builder used a separate company) and tell them exactly what we wanted, where we wanted switches, outlets, etc. It wasn't just a canned package media room.

How confident are you doing it yourself? If you do it, you would be able to choose the wiring (cable brand etc). That could be cheaper, equivalent or more expensive than the builder depending on what you put in. If you do it does that void any warranties?

If the builder does it, it would be covered under warranty if anything is faulty. Do you know what kind of wiring they would be putting in? Can the builder just do some of the wiring...lighting, etc and you can do speakers later? We put in rear speakers in the ceiling and it's relatively easy to do. Can you tell the builder where you want the speakers, etc, or is it just a canned package that comes with x, y, z and that's what you get? If that's the case, then depending on how good x, y, and z are, and how good the placement is of everything...I might want to do it myself. Then you can get exactly what you want.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,171,911 times
A lot of people have the builder pre-wire everything, but then install the actual components and speakers themselves. It seems to be a fairly cost effecient solution.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM

201 posts, read 865,940 times
I went through this exact scenario for an unfinished space, although it won't be used as a media room. We had around 600 square feet to finish out, and the cost was multiples of the price your builder is offering, so we hired out everything after closing and saved a lot of money. However, at $4,100, I would recommend going through your builder for this. It's a lot more work than you realize even if you hire every step out to contractors. I also don't think you'll save much money either.

You're going to have to find the appropriate contractors, negotiate with them, manage them when they're at your house, and then deal with any mistakes they make. Once you have everyone lined, up, assuming the room already has electrical and A/C to it, finishing out the room will require

1. Insulation
2. Sheetrock. This is a 4-5 day process, and your ENTIRE house will be covered in sheetrock dust. You can lessen this by covering hallways / doorways with tarps, but the dust will eventually settle over your entire house.
3. Trim.
4. Paint.
5. Flooring.

Each of these steps obviously cost money, and I think you would be doing well to get all of this work done for less than $3,000. I'm basing this estimate on the ACTUAL bids we got for our house and then scaling down for the smaller size of your area. You might be able to get it for less though.

Also consider that you will have contractors walking through your brand new house carrying huge sheets of wallboard, paint, ladders. etc, and this will be after closing, so your builder have no responsibility for any damage they cause.

In the end, you can definitely save some money, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle? For us it was because the builder wanted crazy money, but your builder's price sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 AM

488 posts, read 1,295,650 times
Our builders added a media room for us. It was pre-wired for surround sound and had conduit installed where the tv would go so that the wires don't trail down the wall. 6 can lights and 2 a/c vents. We installed the speakers ourselves (much cheaper than what the builders wanted) and put in a remote dimmer switch for the lights. It's a fantastic room and we use it all the time. This a photo taken when we had just moved in.
Attached Thumbnails
Media Room - Better to do thru builder or contractor afterward?-hoos-pics-75-.jpg  

Old 04-05-2010, 05:37 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,443,648 times
Make sure you put a closet in your media room, that way when the fad ends and you want to sell your home, you can paint it and call it a bedroom.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:24 PM

4,900 posts, read 12,754,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Make sure you put a closet in your media room, that way when the fad ends and you want to sell your home, you can paint it and call it a bedroom.
Watching tv is a pretty long running fad. Personally I hate to hear tv noise in the background so having a separate room in the house just for the tv is great.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,694,365 times
Quote:
This. home entertainment systems are going wireless/wifi/broadband now so its easy to setup a 'mediaroom'. I'd put a fullsize window in there too. mediarooms (minus the elevated floor) can be musicrooms and a view would be good for that

Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,049,388 times
Quote:
A bedroom with no window??

Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 AM

8 posts, read 75,957 times
Does this unfinished storage room have A/C duct going to it? Something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston