U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 AM

2,480 posts, read 6,521,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Make sure you put a closet in your media room, that way when the fad ends and you want to sell your home, you can paint it and call it a bedroom.
For it to be a bedroom it would also need a window. There need to be 2 different exit points in bedrooms for fire reasons. And that would then defeat a lot of the purpose of a media room. A dedicated media room usually doesn't have windows, and it's great. We converted a game room to a media room in our current house and had to buy black out curtains, curtain rods, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,443,648 times
True Chris, watching TV isn't a fad, but media rooms are very much overrated. Great for the people that use them, but many people get them because they are trying to keep up with the Jones', then they realize they don't want to walk up stairs every night to watch tv and would rather just watch tv in the family room and stay downstairs. This isn't just my own personal opinion, but feedback from customers who have purchased media rooms.

A lot of customers buy for prestige, and the media room for many is a prestige item rather that a functional one. It's cool to show off to their friends but rarely used.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:19 PM

9,274 posts, read 24,882,682 times
Quote:
True Chris, watching TV isn't a fad, but media rooms are very much overrated. Great for the people that use them, but many people get them because they are trying to keep up with the Jones', then they realize they don't want to walk up stairs every night to watch tv and would rather just watch tv in the family room and stay downstairs. This isn't just my own personal opinion, but feedback from customers who have purchased media rooms.

A lot of customers buy for prestige, and the media room for many is a prestige item rather that a functional one. It's cool to show off to their friends but rarely used.

^^ This. Can't rep you,sorry

Customers who are creating custom plans, not builders, are leaving out the "media rooms." You already have a monster game room..put doors on it and close them. Square footage appears to be downsizing as well. Megamonsters are reducing to mini-monsters. People are laboring to move the 6500 sf + houses around me. Tract-custom Builders are about 2-5 years behind true custom builders in plans and products. I've noticed this for years.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Darn, I was hoping you would "rep" me. Next time I will make sure my opinion exactly mirrors yours so that I can be graced with that honor.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM

9,274 posts, read 24,882,682 times
Quote:
Darn, I was hoping you would "rep" me. Next time I will make sure my opinion exactly mirrors yours so that I can be graced with that honor.

It just means I've Repped you too many times before. CD puts the breaks on after one rep.

Of course if this is sarcasm, carry on..

Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,694,365 times
I prefer multiple big screens/mediacenters like in my house. like tonight simulataneaously...
livingroom 47" : wife grooming toddler after bath, toddler chooses video of the night so he'd sit still for nail filing/q tips/toothbrush etc
kitchen/breakfast nook 42" : mom's american idol (sometimes its dancing with tards)
gameroom 55" : me channel surfing (after some yard work mmkay)

i also have a 37" for xbox, 22" for electronic drums, 42" for mom's room
to be honest, i dont know how to decorate without a flat screen

Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 AM

2,480 posts, read 6,521,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
I prefer multiple big screens/mediacenters like in my house. like tonight simulataneaously...
livingroom 47" : wife grooming toddler after bath, toddler chooses video of the night so he'd sit still for nail filing/q tips/toothbrush etc
kitchen/breakfast nook 42" : mom's american idol (sometimes its dancing with tards)
gameroom 55" : me channel surfing (after some yard work mmkay)

i also have a 37" for xbox, 22" for electronic drums, 42" for mom's room
to be honest, i dont know how to decorate without a flat screen
It's totally dependent on the person/family. I am in the same boat as SteveArmy.

Master Bedroom: 42" plasma - usually where my 4 year old likes to watch her shows, and we watch our dvr'd shows at bed time.

Living room: 58" LCD - main watching tv during the day. Also have a Wii and xbox 360 here. We use the xboxes to stream movies from our computer.

Movie room (we have a one story so no having to go up stairs): 65" DLP - used for movies and game playing. Have PS3 and xbox 360 here. My DH plays his games in the movie room while I watch the living room tv and make dinner, and the 4 year old can get her Lilo and Stitch fix simultaneously.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 AM

488 posts, read 1,295,650 times
We like our TV's as well. One in the family Room for something to watch while ironing or shows in the evening.

The big one in the Media Room for movies and the wii is set up in there for family game playing. When my parents-in-law visit from the UK (2 weeks last year, 4 weeks this year) they go upstairs to their bedroom but also have this room if they want to watch something before bed. With our master downstairs this cuts out noise downstairs. It's also a great room if my son and his friends want to watch a movie - with the door closed you hardly know anyone is in there.

Son has a smaller 19" in his room for his PS2 and PS3 and occasionally cartoons. He has tried streaming Netflix to it but it's undependable so he tends to watch these on his laptop.

I am debating another for the master bedroom but I'd need another digibox and can't quite bring myself to do it...yet...

Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 AM

Sorry EasilyAmused, I misunderstood your post. It was sarcasm....I apologize.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:31 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,572,133 times
Quote:
Make sure you put a closet in your media room, that way when the fad ends and you want to sell your home, you can paint it and call it a bedroom.
Good try, but your also going to need to have a window or door that opens to the outside that meets egress requirements, otherwise it can't be considered a bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston