Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 AM

59 posts, read 156,024 times

Advertisements

Bought tickets to a Dynamo game for this Saturday. I have never been to a pro soccer game before. What can I expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,587,025 times
Bring a pillow for when you fall asleep. Honestly, we had some threads on here recently which suggested people like soccer. I never met anyone personally who did but some one must like it because they are building a new stadium for them at a cost of hundreds of millions when they have a perfectly good Astrodome already there waiting for an excuse to reclaim it's crown as the 8th wonder of the world.

I'll take a good ol Rockets game any day but I if you like soccer I suspect it can't be any different then watching any other sports live. It's just great to watch any sports really. It's a great night out.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:00 PM

882 posts, read 2,240,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Bring a pillow for when you fall asleep. Honestly, we had some threads on here recently which suggested people like soccer. I never met anyone personally who did but some one must like it because they are building a new stadium for them at a cost of hundreds of millions when they have a perfectly good Astrodome already there waiting for an excuse to reclaim it's crown as the 8th wonder of the world.

I'll take a good ol Rockets game any day but I if you like soccer I suspect it can't be any different then watching any other sports live. It's just great to watch any sports really. It's a great night out.
Please. The Houston Dynamo are paying the majority of the stadium, and they're going to let TSU, a local university, play in it as well. They're not asking for the city to pay for the whole damn thing, so I wish people would stop asking as if the CoH is paying 95 million dollars for it.

And name the only sports franchise to win a championship in the last decade. Answer: Houston Dynamo. The only sports franchise to win twice in the last decade. Answer: Houston Dynamo.

I would rather watch the Houston Texans or the Houston Rockets, as I prefer american football and basketball, as opposed to soccer, but I still enjoy watching soccer.

As for what to expect, I don't really know. I've only been to one Dynamo Game.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 PM

21 posts, read 52,721 times
[quote]Bought tickets to a Dynamo game for this Saturday. I have never been to a pro soccer game before. What can I expect?/QUOTE]

Well, unlike the Astros or Rockets or Texans, all of whom local tax payers paid almost 100% of their arena, stadium, park, or whatever, you can expect to see a Houston team WIN.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,483,237 times
Well, either you like soccer or you don't. If you're going to the game, chances are you like it. Not everything's for everybody. I'd love to have NHL hockey here, but not everyone's into that. Different strokes, you know.

Renovating the Astrodome would cost more than the new Dynamo stadium project and it would still lack the proper configuration for soccer, just like it did for football. Sightlines going in a circle around a rectangular field don't fly in 2010. As a sports venue, it's history.

Anyway, back on the real topic - yes, you will see a successful team from Houston unlike you would say, going to see the Astros.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,495,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdweller View Post
Bought tickets to a Dynamo game for this Saturday. I have never been to a pro soccer game before. What can I expect?
Alot of fun!!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 PM

687 posts, read 2,124,066 times
Metal screening and bag check at entrance. A lot of enthusiastic singing and dancing from the Spanish-speaking side. This is sometimes more fun to watch than the action on the field. Confetti when we win. Expensive food. Can be very hot, if you are sitting on the sunny side. Bring cap/sunglasses just in case. Cushion to sit on would be good too. A good chance of coming home satisfied, because the home team won.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:56 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,437,696 times
What you'll see? Grown men throwing themselves on the ground whenever someone comes within 10 feet of them... then writhing around in pain from the invisible foot that kicked them in the leg.

I actually really enjoy watching the world cup... but the diving limits my enjoyment of the sport to a few weeks every 4 years. It's a sport that the French excel at... what more needs to be said.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,483,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
What you'll see? Grown men throwing themselves on the ground whenever someone comes within 10 feet of them... then writhing around in pain from the invisible foot that kicked them in the leg.
For a minute there I thought you were talking about the NBA. FWIW, even there the best floppers are international players. Manu Ginobili, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol....maybe they should've been soccer players?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:19 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,850,388 times
I'm not much of a fan of local soccer and Houston 1836, but if you have watched soccer before, then you know what to expect Perhaps a brawl here and there. They need to have public viewing events for the soccer world cup this summer That would be much more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: