Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 9,054 times

Advertisements

high school aged kids in tow.
Considering distance from work and horror commuter stories I've read here, where is the best place to "replant" ourselves?

Someone mentioned Friendswood, Woodlands.

Very laidback family ( origionally from Australia 4 years ago), but looking for good school and community that is easy to assimilate into.

Also looking for any other families with kids in Young Life program who can let us know info on their experiences.

Dont like the idea of being in an area where everyone is pretentious and trying to "outdo" each other - we're leaving that behind!

Any advice welcome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 04:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,755 times
Where will you be working and what would the price range be?

Both places mentioned are nice places. It's almost a 60 mile difference between the 2, so it's a good idea to bring other factors into play. Like work and price.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:17 PM

working downtown- near mckinney st.

currently in a 3 bed, condo 2400sq feet. cost 750k. looking for 4 bed min. 3500 sq feet. good school zones. dont want to spend a boatload of cash but can go up to 750k, obviously prefer much less.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat5 View Post
working downtown- near mckinney st.

currently in a 3 bed, condo 2400sq feet. cost 750k. looking for 4 bed min. 3500 sq feet. good school zones. dont want to spend a boatload of cash but can go up to 750k, obviously prefer much less.
If you want good school zones and in the oil industry. Memorial should be at the top of your list. West side of town off the Beltway and Memorial. You could choose 77079 or 77024. You can spend up to and way more than $750k, but you can get a great home between $400-$600k. More if you want nicer.

You won't have to worry about private school, unless you really want to. But schools are top notch there. If you want a really LARGE home, then you could continue to look at the Woodlands or Friendswood. You will get a nice 5000 sq ft home there with tons of upgrades. Also great schools.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:36 PM

thanks citylove. I'll check those out.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:40 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
you can go to Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation to look at resale homes and select areas to look at --- West University and Memorial are great for good schools and short commutes in your price range and lovely homes. Go further out and you get very large homes with much longer commutes. People love the Woodlands but the vast majority of people I know who live in the Woodlands and work downtown hate their commutes with a passion - and many are moving back into town. Good neighborhoods - but a longer distance commute from downtown, large homes, good schools are Kingwood (North), Sugarland (Southwest), Clear Lake, Kemah, League City, Friendswood - (last 4 all Southeast). All have great schools.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:40 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Your going to like Houston. Yeah its going to be a shock in the summer. But your neighbors wont hate you if you say you work for an oil company. More likely you'll get 'I work for BP/ExxonMobil/ConocoPhillips welcome to town.' Oh yeah, you will be pretty happy I'm guessing, with what you can get for 500k. If you want to consider in the Loop, you may look in River Oaks (77019).

I'm in the industry as well and most of my colleagues with kids live in Katy or Memorial area.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 PM

129 posts, read 382,497 times
I agree on the Memorial area, but you should also consider looking just north of I10. It'll give you the same commute and high schools (Stratford or Memorial) but a little less expensive.

I'd suggest getting a realtor, especially if you don't know the area you're interested in get one that works a wide area of the city - don't pick one that focuses solely on one of the suburbs. Too many realtors guide buyers towards the area where they are familiar or where they'd like to live if they had your budget.

750K opens up some good options in the Houston area, especially in the outer suburbs of Houston. I'd try to avoid having the family fall in love with a mansion way out that will equate to you spending 2 hours a day in the car though.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:03 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,149 times
Just a note on communities north of I-10 (Hillshire Village, Spring Valley Village), gotta be careful where you go to be zoned to the right schools, Memorial for example. Living north of I-10 and south of Westview Drive is likely a must. Definitely find a good realtor.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:23 AM

193 posts, read 436,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
More likely you'll get 'I work for BP/ExxonMobil/ConocoPhillips welcome to town.'
Don't forget Chevron.

Welcome Wombat. I am in the industry also and moved here from California about 8 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston