Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:44 AM

76 posts, read 213,391 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Houston area and I need some serious help.

My husband is doing a job transfer and we have some area's to choose from that are fairly wide scattered across the region.

Here's what I would like to see in a community:

Small rural, nice, friendly area, within 30-45 minutes of an airport (either one is fine). I have two high school aged children: 1 girl, 1 boy.
They would like to participate in sports. Both are decent at sports in a larger school, but less opportunity to play based on numbers.
Sports: basketball, volleyball, bowling, possibly tennis

Therefore, we would like to find a good school around 1A or 2A in size with a friendly, accepting community and good school record for education and athletics. (sports record doesn't have to be top notch, but I would like education to be of good standard), and little crime within communities.

We plan to rent for the first year to make sure we like the area.

Here's the area's we have to choose from:

Sugarland, Houston, Webster, Longview............meaning location of work sites, so he needs to be in a decent driving distance (30 minutes or less would be nice)

I was looking at friendswood, but think the highschool is too large, and am wondering what about Seabrook, Stafford, Sealy, Wallis

or can you suggest any other area's?

private schools are not out of the question, but i would need to investigate tuition costs.

Also, what about finding a fairly nice rental? Is it possible that their may be houses on the market for sale that the owners may rent because the market is not that great? or is the housing market fairly stable (in selling) as far as those area's?

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 09:55 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
The requirement for a 1A or 2A school makes this pretty difficult. Longview is way up there in NE Texas, by the way. Sealy would be about 90 minutes or so to either airport. Wallis may be a good choice, and they are starting to build more homes up there. I would have said the Katy High School area, because it had everything you listed, except for the 1A or 2A school.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:18 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
You might consider some place like Harleton outside of Longview (30 minutes). Very rural, small schools, good school record according to the stats and about 1 hr from Shreveport airport. Hallsville, east of Longview, has larger schools but similar school record. Not too many schools in the Houston area that are 1A or 2A but somewhere like Crosby or Huffman might meet your description, not sure about their record though. They are less suburban than most areas around Houston and about 45 min. to the airport or less.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:41 PM

Default 1A, 2A, or 3A maybe okay.

does that mean nothing around Friendswood or Webster would meet that 1A or 2A criteria?

3A may be okay, but we are in a 4A school district right now in the midwest. The sports are all so political and it's really disheartening to see so many talented kids who have played sports year round and are 'decent' talent, but because the number of kids in the schools are so high, there simply is not enough spots to allow them to play.

We don't plan on getting college scholarships from sports or anything, if fact, more likely to get academic scholarships, but they both really would like to play sports.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Friendswood and Webster are heavily populated suburbs, they are not rural and both are in 4A/5A districts. You will have to go pretty far out to get into a lower category but then you have to watch school quality. Huffman is 3A, Crosby is 4A. Longview Spring Hill (the better high school in Longview) is 3A. You might also consider Cleveland or Cold Spring. They are rural (3A) but about an hour drive from Bush IAH in Houston.

You could work out of Sugarland and look toward the more rural communites out that way, but it would be a long drive to Hobby airport and a longer one to Bush IAH.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,415 times
You'd have to be out in the sticks like Anahuac or Rice Consolidated in Altair.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:54 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
You're going to have to drive a long way to find 1A or 2A around Houston. So far in fact, I don't think commuting would be realistic.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Default any huffman high school parents?

Huffman (I am thinking it's Hargrave high school, correct?) looks like it might be a possibility with a decent selection of classes offered. Does anyone here have children who attend or have attended this school?

It does not appear it's that far out from Houston. How's the education level there?

Crosby appears to be too large for what we would like in a school.

Anyone have an opinion about Seabrook? It appears to be a nice area.

Also, we will need an area we can find a fairly nice home to rent.

I am really fond of the Sugarland and Katy area, but there does not appear to be a school district the size we are hoping to find.

Thanks again for all the help. I truly appreciate it.

If anyone else has input, please advise. I will continue checking this thread and investigating the schools mentioned or suggested here. The more info. the better.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine11 View Post
Anyone have an opinion about Seabrook? It appears to be a nice area.
Seabrook is nice, but there are no small schools there. We live next door in Webster. All the Clear Lake towns feed into about 4 very large 5A schools. Friendswood is quite nice, too, and has that small town feel. I'm from a town of less than 20,000 people, so I find Friendswood very appealing. It's also one of the better areas in Houston as far as academics and low crime. But Friendswood high school is 4-A. Katy and Sugarland are more densely populated than Clear Lake, or at least seem that way when I have driven through. Also be aware Seabrook got hit hard by Ike.

The closest small, but good school district to Webster that I can think of is Mont Belvieu/Barbers Hill. That's about 30 mins North/Northeast from Webster. It used to be 3-A, and it is known for being a good school district (wealth from nearby chemical plants), but that area has been growing, so it may be larger now.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Default new schools?

thanks for the info. I will check that area out. A town of 20,000 or below would be nice, but wouldn't that be about a 3A school?

Are there any new highschools out the way of Friendswood or Seabrook that might end up being smaller schools?

Maybe I am stretching. I was just really hoping to find that small school. Any idea's for private schools that are not extremely expensive? (i.e. christian schools and such).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston