Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

Houston in a crowded race to be space shuttle's home - Houston Chronicle

Hmm.... IMO, Houston (and possibly FL) are the only places that really deserve it from a historical standpoint, but could financial promises and/or politics come into play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,475 times
pretty sure we can build another one with all the worn parts/junk in the SpaceCenter

Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Seriously, this should only be between Houston and Florida. I know people think I'm biased, but Houston deserves it more. Kennedy Space Station is already better than ours; at least give us this.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,832 times
This is complete bull!! We've already got a Space Center for the general public established!!

Old 04-12-2010, 02:22 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Discovery is going to the Smithsonian. The other two should go one each to JSC and Cape Canaveral. But don't put it past anyone to fish for some votes elsewhere.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:23 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
We live in a state that is more opposed to Obama's policies than any other. That's fine. The way we are so rude about it, the way Governor Perry acts and talks about secession and just the general nastiness towards Obama in this state makes this whole situation quite unsurprising to me. Whether Obama is in office until 2012 or 2016, don't expect him to do Texas any favors.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:00 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
We live in a state that is more opposed to Obama's policies than any other. That's fine. The way we are so rude about it, the way Governor Perry acts and talks about secession and just the general nastiness towards Obama in this state makes this whole situation quite unsurprising to me. Whether Obama is in office until 2012 or 2016, don't expect him to do Texas any favors.
I can see where you're coming from but I also have to agree w/ the earlier post. There are three freakin shuttles and there are three spots most appropriate for them. The center where they first took off from (Florida, here's your shuttle). The center where they were commanded from (Texas, here's YOUR shuttle). The Smithsonian/The National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C (b/c the shuttles DO represent a huge part of our nation's history). I can't believe these other jokers are even attempting to stake a claim in this!

Now, I know Perry has always drug politics into almost every decision he's made when it comes to Texas and its relationship w/ the nation but I'm hoping Obama can look past this and do what's RIGHT! The thought of a shuttle ending up in New York is an absolute joke. New York's influence in the shuttle program as been minimal (if there was any at all)!

Old 04-12-2010, 03:06 PM

193 posts, read 436,800 times
I can understand California wanting a shuttle due to all of the development work done out there.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Regardless of how Texans see him overall; he still has lots of supporters here that helped elect him into office. It would be pretty crazy to place the shuttle in areas that have been irrelevant and insignificant to the Shuttle Program. To place it in a area where there is history and relevance to it would make more sense.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:41 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Whether Obama is in office until 2012 or 2016, don't expect him to do Texas any favors.
Then that would be letting politics get in the way... and wouldn't be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
I can understand California wanting a shuttle due to all of the development work done out there.
I believe everything in CA is unmanned space flight. Different from manned space flight and the shuttle program.

Anyway, I also saw Austin mentioned in the article. Really?
Should have tried to collaborate with Houston instead of doing a separate bid for somewhere that had little/nothing to do with the manned space flight program... Houston is mission control, astronaut training, etc.

"Houston, we have a problem" may be more appropriate now than ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston