Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:49 PM

29 posts, read 122,298 times

Advertisements

What's the best donut shop in Houston? After Houston Donut Quest 2008 (my quest to find the best Houston donut) failed miserably, I decide to renew it with vigor this year (along side with Houston Burger Quest 2010).

I know many people will say Shipley's (and I welcome the votes), as I don't really think they're very good and I'm more ore less looking for places to try that I might like. For reference, Krispy Kreme and Donut King (the western Louisiana chain) are the only donuts that I've tasted which I would give a 10 to.

Last edited by isaywhateveryo; 04-13-2010 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 PM

21 posts, read 52,582 times
I was gonna say Shipley's but changed my mind. Krispy Kreme and Donut King are 10.

How's that?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkinTall View Post
I was gonna say Shipley's but changed my mind. Krispy Kreme and Donut King are 10.

How's that?
Unresponsive, there aren't any Krispy Kremes or Donut Kings here. But I get your point, I'll edit my OP.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:23 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,687,286 times
Memorial Donuts at Kirkwood @ Memorial in 77079.

They just changed owners after a million years but the new owners are 90% mastered in making one of the best donuts around. It's got ant problems though, lol!

As for getting fat off donuts, just eat one or two & no problem..........once a week tops though.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Thanks for your extensive insight. Very helpful.

Is there even a Krispy Kreme in Houston anymore? I thought they all closed?

To the OP: Southern Maid Donuts are pretty good, especially hot out of the grease and freshly glazed. There was one over on Hwy 6 near Park Row, I have found there are others but you have to be careful as they may be franchised badly...i.e. the one off of Beechnut right inside the Beltway. DUMP!

I would love to try one of the Memorial Donuts!!!
I'll try Southern Maid, but I prefer my donuts fried. The closest thing I've found to a good donut is Crescent City Beignets on Westheimer (those are amazing, but it's not really a donut).

I'll also try Memorial Donuts and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM

912 posts, read 2,546,737 times
My cynicism is because I've never had or heard of a decent doughnut in the US, let alone here in Texas. I mean you can't even spell it properly what hope do you have of producing a decent example?

They need to be

a>hot

b>fresh

c>not hanging around waiting for obese, watery coffee drinkers to come and waddle in for a taste............

Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,478,613 times
How can anyone be grumpy thinking/talking about donuts?? Ymmmm....
Btw Dunkin/Krispy/Shipleys/Southern Maid chains, I like Shipley's by far the best...if you go early in the morning, they're hot and fresh....ymmmmm
Beignets fr R.C. I also love b/c they're fried fresh to order.
Tim Hortons is fr Canada and is spreading to the south (ie, NY) and that is better than all of above if you get them hot.
Will try Memorials and report back.
Best though, is homemade donuts. I once made Apple Fritters and kept burning my tongue repeatedly b/c i couldn't wait long enough for them to cool. You'd think I'd learn after the first time!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,797,327 times
Christy's donuts are good

Houston Best Doughnuts - Christy's Donuts - Best Of Houston - Houston Press

Snowflake donuts on Winkler just north of Howard are above average too.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:32 PM

556 posts, read 1,080,828 times
Christy's Doughnuts on West Gray @ Montrose is my personal favorite.

Christy's Doughnut - Houston, TX - Citysearch

Quote:
Grunn don't a negative Nancy and enjoy a krispy kremeburger! Only in houston!
No offense, but this comment is especially stupid considering there are no Krispy Kreme's in Houston. Even if there still were, how would it be "only in Houston"?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:58 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,382,347 times
Memorial Donuts- Hey I know that place. Is it the same Asian Family that's owned it for 30 years?

They have very good Kolaches and Breakfast sandwiches as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston