U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:18 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,917,544 times

Advertisements

What is up with the lack of care in roads in Houston. I notice Houston doesn't use the black top (asphault) like most cities do but rather the white concrete roads which can appear discloses ageing and appears dirty and such. I think the white concrete iss meant to lower the temperature of the city.

But why is it that Houston's roads are so unasthetically pleasing? They cover up potholes and fill in cracks with black tar. Not to mention that the temporary sometimes long term solution to fix major potholes is to cover that section of the road with a large metal plate, It makes the roads look rather ugly, thus contributing to Houston's overall ugliness. Why can't they fill Houston's potholes and cracks with filler that is the same color of the road? I'm sorry, white roads with black tar and cover ups looks reeall tacky, even making the nice areas look bad.

This isn't a thread to bash Houston, but it's just been on my mind
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:23 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,157,392 times
The concrete is used for longevity: it simply does better in our climate.

However, pothole repair, IMO, is cheaply done and is usually of poor quality. And don't get me started on using ashpalt to repair holes on concrete roads. Ummm, wouldn't you use concrete? Again, cheap way out and doesn't hold up.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 PM

912 posts, read 2,444,028 times
Those metal plates are also potentially lethal if you're cycling or using a motorcycle. The state of the roads here is a joke considering the money I pay in tax and fees to support them.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 28,750,305 times
The pothole fills just come out the first time we have a hard rain. It's not so much the heat but the rainfall. You have the same problem in similar climates e.g. South Florida.

If they redid the concrete every time a pothole came up you'd have more road closures for longer periods of time. Concrete has to set, for one thing, but they can do the quick patch like they do overnight.

Between the weather and the type of soil we sit on, lots of roads equal a lot of maintenance and a lot of expense if you're going to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn
The state of the roads here is a joke considering the money I pay in tax and fees to support them.
Which really isn't much. America's truly rubbing off on you, isn't it? People's contributions via gasoline taxes don't really cover it all. You get what you pay for.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 PM

3,702 posts, read 17,444,893 times
Hey, visit Deer Park. Gotta give it to the City guys around here. They are a bit obsessive about nice roads. These guys must get out a level and ruler when they inspect repairs because the repairs are so smooth you cannot truly tell where the repairs were made once the concrete weathers a little.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Which really isn't much. America's truly rubbing off on you, isn't it? People's contributions via gasoline taxes don't really cover it all. You get what you pay for.
I was thinking more of money I've given in inspection fees (for nothing), sticker and fines for driving 'crimes' that I didn't actually commit but were much cheaper to accept than challenge. They total far more than the $200 I paid in road fees for my last car in Europe.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 28,750,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
I was thinking more of money I've given in inspection fees (for nothing), sticker and fines for driving 'crimes' that I didn't actually commit but were much cheaper to accept than challenge. They total far more than the $200 I paid in road fees for my last car in Europe.
You do realize if you go to court and the officer who ticketed you doesn't show, it's dismissed. What were you going to do, hire a lawyer?

Most of your inspection fee pays for those fancy machines the inspection places use for your emissions test, rather than the roads.

Mainly though I don't mean to direct this at you. It's a common ignorant American assumption that everyone pays their fair share of road expenses strictly through what they pay in gasoline taxes and registration. I do think I'm speaking your language there...

Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM

8,811 posts, read 18,638,272 times
The last thing I am concerned about in Houston are the color of the roads. Doesn't matter what they look like as long as I can get from point A to point B and they are in fairly good shape.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You do realize if you go to court and the officer who ticketed you doesn't show, it's dismissed. What were you going to do, hire a lawyer?

Most of your inspection fee pays for those fancy machines the inspection places use for your emissions test, rather than the roads.

Mainly though I don't mean to direct this at you. It's a common ignorant American assumption that everyone pays their fair share of road expenses strictly through what they pay in gasoline taxes and registration. I do think I'm speaking your language there...
I was thinking more of the hundreds of dollars I'd lose by either taking hours off work (I'm contracted by the hour) to go to court or as you say hiring a lawyer.

I'd agree though that gasoline tax isn't going to cover the cost of road buliding.

I presume however that the many thousands of dollars I pay in sales taxes are contributory.

Regarding inspections I don't believe they are anything other than a scam to make money for the state. They are laughable compared to anything I've seen in other countries. It's just about taking money for the inspection or fining people for not having it. Either way revenue generation is the aim.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
The last thing I am concerned about in Houston are the color of the roads. Doesn't matter what they look like as long as I can get from point A to point B and they are in fairly good shape.
Yep. Having driven thousands of miles in and around Houston, I can say that the color of the roads were the absolute LAST thing on my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>