Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times

Advertisements

Ok, I love Texas but....being a Texan I fly out of here to a good beach. The water quality is the problem. That nasty, silty,brown mess from the Mississippi River ruins it. SO....it doesn't matter what you build, if the water quality isn't good you aren't going to "boom." I mean you can't control nature, or tax it better. Don't get me started on the glass and condoms in the seaweed. eeesh.

If Texans don't want to go for anything but a day trip, how are you going to be a tourist destination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
And when people say Fort Worth of Houston with Galveston, I don't think they mean population, but difference in style/character. Actually, wasn't that the point all along?

And levee system? Look up the Ike Dike.
Yeah I know population doesn't make much of an affect when they say that.

But I think where people choose to live does, Galveston is the only principal city in the Houston Metropolitan area aside from Houston. Because it wasn't established to be a suburban/commuter city. It was built to be it's own and to hold it's own. And it does, it's a historical seaside town.

But it has to work on fixing a lot of things, which isn't bad, but it'll take it time to regain what it was before. If ever.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Ok, I love Texas but....being a Texan I fly out of here to a good beach. The water quality is the problem. That nasty, silty,brown mess from the Mississippi River ruins it. SO....it doesn't matter what you build, if the water quality isn't good you aren't going to "boom." I mean you can't control nature, or tax it better. Don't get me started on the glass and condoms in the seaweed. eeesh.

If Texans don't want to go for anything but a day trip, how are you going to be a tourist destination?
Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, Food (My personal favorite category), Aquariums, and Historical sites.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:34 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, Food (My personal favorite category), Aquariums, and Historical sites.
People want to go to an island for beaches, though.

The people I see at Galveston don't seem to go there for the old houses.

As for the food, I don't see much spectacular...a lot of chains on the seawall and a lot more chains everywhere else....maybe a little family owned burger place here and there.

The problem with Galveston will always be its appearance. It just isn't pretty. When people think of a nice beach they think of the polar opposite of Galveston.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:37 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
What food? It's all the chain stuff you can get in at your Local MPC towncentermarketstreetthingie.Heck if you want the Aquarium you can just go downtown.

Sorry, Galveston is a nice town and everything, but it's just not a place people go out of their way for.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:48 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

Galveston is a regional tourist destination mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston