Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:38 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
It's not so much Katy, I am very disappointed with the way things are done in unincorporated counties around Houston. the MPC in Katy are nice, but when you drive out of them it's hit or miss(at best).
Well, it's nicer than the areas outside of the MPC's on the SW side. I mean you can get more "miss" than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:45 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Well, it's nicer than the areas outside of the MPC's on the SW side. I mean you can get more "miss" than that.
Agree and that's part of the problem.....folks actually use that as a barometer on what's considered nice around here LMAO

Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 PM

711 posts, read 1,855,897 times
Quote:
Better planning and city building codes.
How is it that you've come to the ridiculous idea that planning and zoning have anything to do with crime, litter, and general neighborhood distress? I suggest you go someplace where they're strict about planning and zoning, like LA, Philadelphia, NYC, or Detroit, and regale us with tales of how beautiful and crime free the entire city is. What's that, you can't? Those cities have areas that make run down areas of Houston look like Upper Kirby? Then perhaps the problem isn't P&Z. My vote is "people". Areas are bad because the people are bad. I know, we can't blame people, that would be racist, so we must blame inanimate apartments instead.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,219 times
Everyone should be held accountable to maintain their property (the basic stuff). Someone mentioned the older parts of the Woodlands - - the declines are happening there because enforcement has become lax, and the price of entry is relatively low. It is a mini version of the entire metro area, where focus shifts to the "new". That said, at least the Woodlands has a hollistic view vs a large metro area with many conflicting priorities over many jurisdictions.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:30 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times
I didn't read all the replies but the first thing that comes to mind is...large poorly managed apartment complexes and the people they attract.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
Quote:
For an example, if you take a drive down Kingsland, Fry or Mason (Katy), you'll see nothing but bandit signs...
Don't let me get started on the litter, waist high weeds and trash that never seems to get picked up. It's almost like they're waiting for the wind to blow it away.
Are you talking south of I-10? Maybe you should look into starting up a South Katy area residents' group where the focus is on removing bandit signs (which are basically litter) and other litter clean up. The problem is probably everyone is just expecting someone else to do it, doesn't know who is in charge, so nothing gets done.
As far as the weeds/mowing, check into if that's a county issue or if one of the HOAs is supposed to be doing it and isn't.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
In the old days, it was racism that brought neighborhoods down. Today, it is classicism. We've come a long way, baby.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Houston is the free market in action. Developers have carte blance to build whatever whereever and it's funny to see people shocked to find it's economically more profitable to build more units on less land (econ 101?)

Weither anyone wants to come to terms with it or not, "Evil, Scary, Poor folk" will be with us forever, as no true capitalist economy can survive without them. People sitting here blaming Liberals is simply trying to deny reality. Even if every liberal were to be gone tomorrow, those "Others" you so dread will still be here. In fact, it's those big corporate titans everyone worships who bring them over from all around the world.

Before I get hit with the "Commie Pinko" card, I am myself a Libertarian-Conservative, and feel free-markets are the solution. I just don't suffer hypocracy lightly, and as a "Person of Color", I think it's amusing to watch people tap dance around their true feelings regarding this issue.
Your idea of 'free market' is actually license not freedom at all. When anothers actions start effecting everyone around them negatively if they choose to not acknowledge the consequences of their actions on others then people have every right to step in and change their behavior.

The simple fact is the best cities in the world all fairly strictly control what developers can and cannot do. This cities last centuries, are liveable, and run well.

Houston is a rotting dump in about half the city, and the nice parts often seem to turn into hellholes after about 20 years because of poor initial planning and little regulation on development.
Why shouldnt we demand more from the developers who are often responsible for this rot? Because it might cost them a few extra bucks. So what.

Last edited by orbius; 04-25-2010 at 11:17 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Houston is a rotting dump in about half the city, and the nice parts often seem to turn into hellholes after about 20 years because of poor initial planning and little regulation on development.

Why shouldnt we demand more from the developers who are often responsible for this rot? Because it might cost them a few extra bucks. So what.
BINGO! the brutal truth

Old 04-26-2010, 04:51 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
The simple fact is the best cities in the world all fairly strictly control what developers can and cannot do. This cities last centuries, are liveable, and run well.
Architecturally controlled. Not use/density/parking controlled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston