Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 PM

50 posts, read 154,136 times

Advertisements

Originally from MN, now living in TX. I love it. It's such a nice change. Its nice being able to look for advice on city-data, but EVERYONE needs to know that the things people say are often far from the truth.. I read a lot of things that made me nervous, but most of it turned out to be grossly exaggerated. All I can say that is ridiculous is both Houston and Dallas metro area traffic. We started off living in Houston. Just to big for us though. So we are moving to Galveston in August. Any tips, tricks, info about Galv. would be great. Thanks guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Just curious.... why Galveston??? I mean it has its own charm but to me still feels like much of Houston proper. IMHO somewhere like Spring would have less of an urban/ more small town feel than Galveston.

I do like Galveston and last I checked housing is still reasonable since IKE struck. If you are planning on buying look into insurance costs. I don't know much about living on the island..there are some LOVELY historic homes though.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 12,610 times
I moved from Florida and I still it here too...

Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,019 times
Why Galveston? I've been there twice since moving to Katy and I cannot say it's better than the Houston area. :P That's my personal opinion though.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:37 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,992 times
All I can say is get good home insurance and when there's a hurricane in the gulf, LEAVE...don't risk staying behind to "bunker down".

Other than that I can see why somebody would move to Galveston. It has this lazy charm that many of the Houston suburbs don't have. Glad you're enjoying Texas!!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,159 times
Galveston?

...why Galveston? There are so many reasons not to live there.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times
I keep telling you people: If you've lived here your whole life, or even just for many years, you think, "Why Galveston?"

If you've lived inland your whole life, it's THE BEACH. It's the first time in your life (or at least years) that you haven't had to get on a plane to see water, any water.

There are palm trees and warm weather and sunsets and water and sand and little puffy clouds in a small, easy-to-get-around-in city.

That's why people like Galveston.

And for the record, I'd move to Galveston over Spring or The Woodlands any day of the week.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:24 AM

I dunno. For swimming I always go up north, away from the coast. Texas' coast is not very attractive. We have some nice lakes and rivers in the area, though.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 AM

50 posts, read 154,136 times
You ask why Galveston? My girlfriend is going to school at UTMB. So that is the main reason. Also, obviously being from MN we didn't have the ocean. We did live by Lake Superior, so we had beaches, and a huge body of water (that was ICE cold all year round). I work HVAC so I can get a job pretty easily anywhere, so working in Galveston is completely feasible. The Island is nice (in places), cost of living in reasonable. Its CLOSE to Americas 4th Largest city, which means anything you want to do, is just an hour or so away, and yet it doesnt really feel that way at all, which we like, a lot. SOOO now maybe you all can tell me the reasons NOT to live there. instead of just saying "why galveston its bad"

Old 04-26-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker0217 View Post
You ask why Galveston? My girlfriend is going to school at UTMB. So that is the main reason. Also, obviously being from MN we didn't have the ocean. We did live by Lake Superior, so we had beaches, and a huge body of water (that was ICE cold all year round). I work HVAC so I can get a job pretty easily anywhere, so working in Galveston is completely feasible. The Island is nice (in places), cost of living in reasonable. Its CLOSE to Americas 4th Largest city, which means anything you want to do, is just an hour or so away, and yet it doesnt really feel that way at all, which we like, a lot. SOOO now maybe you all can tell me the reasons NOT to live there. instead of just saying "why galveston its bad"

Hey, put the fangs away. No need to take so much offense.

If you would have said your girlfriend was going to school at UTMB it would have made more sense.

But hey, if you like Galveston, then good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston