Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 10:40 AM

571 posts, read 1,281,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Lol, I think we should have started in the 90's. The evidence was when all the major airline industries first started filing for bankruptcies then.

We're just so far behind everyone else in the world when it comes to public transportation (Rapid Transit Rail).

But this is good news! Thank Vertigo.
Well, it's coming eventually b/c like somebody already pointed out...the number of airlines will dwindle if they all start merging and it'll become too expensive to fly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Well, it's coming eventually b/c like somebody already pointed out...the number of airlines will dwindle if they all start merging and it'll become too expensive to fly...
Haha yeahh I was the one who said that. But it's nice to see we're taking steps in the right direction.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:18 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
And that is exactly why this merger is bad. I suggest this country invest into a decent and efficient rail system because only the rich will be able to afford to fly.

In 20 years; us average Americans will be traveling across the country horseback.
Riiiiiight. I should pay an extra $50 every month in taxes to support a "decent rail system" rather than pay an extra $50 for a plane ticket whenever I happen to travel. Now that makes economic sense. Not to mention - do you have any idea how long it takes to travel from here to NYC by train. ug.

There is still plenty (actually too much) competition in the airline industry. In inflation adjusted dollars air travel is vastly cheaper than it was before deregulation. I don't see this merger as having any effect on national air fares. I do see the customer service on what were CO flights going down. I do see United failing because their company culture stinks. But no worries for now on air fares.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Source: Boards OK Continental-United merger - Aviation- msnbc.com

Old 05-02-2010, 06:59 PM

I think in the next 5 years, we'll be seeing an end to US Airways.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:48 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,569 times
[quote=Malvie;13986831]
My concern/interest is, what will happen to the domestic flights? If they cut a lot of domestics or route a lot of the domestics through Chicago or Denver (say, a trip to SeaTac), then that WILL affect my decision (if I have to pay top $$$ and change planes anyway, I'll take Southwest).

There is NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER that I would fly Continental (refuse to call them "United") should they cut the non-stop flights, ESPECIALLY if they route these through some of the worst airports on earth Denver and O'Hare. NO CHANCE. I'll take Southwest flight connections instead, thanks. I might even have to fly *choke* U.S. Airways again (if connections through Phoenix or Charlotte, not Philly).

Old 05-02-2010, 07:49 PM

44 posts, read 51,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
I agree with the supermac. the impact on houston won't be that great. Companies arent going to make a decision not to transfer their headquarters to houston over this. LA and New York don't host headquarters of major airlines and neither does philly anymore. So the 4 largest cities, excluding chicago don't have major airline headquarters. No big deal really. Cleveland is the city that should be worried right now. Their hub will most likely be shutdown as a result of this merger.
Actually, New York City is home to JetBlue.

And Houston has plenty of Fortune 500 companies, #2 behind in the US. The city won't disintegrate into dust because of Continental's departure.

Last edited by bornrich; 05-02-2010 at 08:30 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 PM

404 posts, read 1,030,922 times
Ooooh, I love me some monopolies. This is great! I mean, who wants low prices these days? We might as well just have one airline per country and pay them 10 times more for a service.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:53 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthou View Post
I'm Annise Parker, I'm one of the most 100 influential people and I approve the merger.

Well if she would have spent time on KEEPING Continental HERE, instead of raising water rates sky high, reminding us that shes a lesbo, and being named "influential"....maybe we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:58 PM

People, as stated before business is business, and in business there are a whole different set of rules than other real life events. In business all is fair, the good the bad and the ugly (such as job losses).

Yeah Houston could have been more proactive, but even then I don't think it would have stopped this merger from happening. This is between two companies, two business groups, that want to limit competition by joining together against other competitors. That's their choice, and it's fair for them, no matter how unfair it is for the employee's or the City/Airport, they're not going to care.

It's a done deal, and I can tell Continental is NOT going to back out;
1. This deal will benefit them
2. They don't want the negative image from constantly always backing out, it's bad for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston