Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times

Advertisements

Any health careers high schools or math and science high schools in the Katy or Sugarland area? Thanks for advice and recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 PM

739 posts, read 2,136,053 times
DeBakey in Houston. I believe Higtowr has a math magnet program.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
I saw one once, but it wasn't in Katy or Sugarland. I can't remember the name......

Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,019 times
There's nothing in Katy. Houston has one or two.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I saw one once, but it wasn't in Katy or Sugarland. I can't remember the name......
Michael E. DeBakey High School for Health Professions (Houston ISD) -- It's the only full health professions high school in the area.

Hightower High School (FBISD) - Has a medical sciences academy, but I'm not sure how it compares to what is taught at DeBakey, and HHS in terms of prestige is nowhere near that of HPHS.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 AM

So you do have to be a resident of HISD in order to attend the DeBakey Program, am I correct?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:47 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
DeBakey was out ahead of hundreds of Houston AREA high schools in a Houston Chronicle survey as the numero uno school based on several factors. It even has been ranked as the #40 school in the entire COUNTRY. It's curriculum was designed by the highly-aclaimed Baylor School of Medicine (based nearby in the Houston Medical Center) which continues to oversee its functioning.

However, while not being a neighborhood zoned school but a magnet, it is both highly competitive to get into and you must live some where in the city of Houston (not necessarily close-in SW where the school is located near 288 and Bellaire/Holcombe). If your kids and you are serious about getting a good education leading to Med school it might be worth farming them out (officially at least) to a auntie or uncle in Houston or rent a cheap apt for mailing purposes.

It's kind of semi-unethical but my old landlord did that for 3 or 4 years to let his two kids go to a good HS, not the crummy one near his house.

Last edited by bamba_boy; 04-28-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 05:48 PM

299 posts, read 1,016,733 times
While the Debakey school probably has a good health science program. I'm dubious of the claims some of the magnet schools make. Katy and Sugarland have good highschools in general. Have your child challenge themselves with AP classes, or dual credit and if they are interested in medicine, work as sports trainers for electives and ask your local doc if your child can shadow them during the summers. That is real experience that will pay off and looks impressive when applying to schools.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times
kids are kids

they should concentrate on developing a firm grasp of the fundamentals and developing proper study habits especially if planning a medical career

actually putting someone 14-16 into a school based on their career choice is really not the best idea....if it was every high school would be a magnet school for astronauts, wRappers, fireman, veterinarians, sports stars, actors, and get rich or their arch rival make a lot of money

it is the same mistake we make time and again, kids are kids not young adults or adults in small bodies....we wonder why there is such burnout in true young adults these days

the people that got us to the moon and back probably learned in a one room school house with a slate, chalk, and slide rule......same with the people that invented computers....using a computer is not in any way shape or form understanding the mathematics behind a computer no more than turning the key is understanding how a car runs

if you don't understand the most basics of physics you will never get to space.....if you can't do math without a calculator you will never truly understand a computer.....without a basic grasp of physics and chemistry you will never miniaturize anything...no basic chemistry or biology and you will never be more than a "service writer" of a doctor that listens to what the customer says and then just tells them what it might be and passes it off to someone else to diagnose and cure

teach the basics to kids.....heroes, geniuses, great inventors, ect. of the past....they all had plenty of time to do what they did without any "head starts" or PCs or special training programs in their youth and many did it living a much shorter lifespan

your little angles will have PLENTY of time to blossom in the future especially if given a through, broad, basic education that leaves them wanting more VS skipping steps, and being spoon fed thinking they already know it all

people change, INDUSTRIES CHANGE, ECONOMIES CHANGE, jobs change, job training needs change.......it will be nearly 10 years before someone that is 14 or 15 starting a career program will have a BS degree and be ready for a professional program

a LOT can change in that time

Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks to all who responded, very helpful!

TexasVines, I appreciate your concern, but I was asking about health careers high schools, not about opinions as to whether kids should go to such schools. That would go into an altogether different thread or even forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston