Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 PM

683 posts, read 428,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornrich View Post
Are we ready to let go of the illegal immigrants?

Who the heck is going to mow the lawn and clean out the garage, wash the cars, mop the floors, plant the flowers, etc?
I mow my own grass and plant my own flowers, I wouldn't even consider letting an illegal alien into my home so washing my car, mopping my floor or cleaning out my garage is a non issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:01 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
What would you think if Arizona's new and controversial immigration law was applied to the Houston area?
Two words: hell no.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:29 PM

33 posts, read 22,602 times
I just found this thread and I feel like I need to respond

I'm an immigrant myself and I live in Houston! I would totally support this law. I want to address some things that have been said. I honestly didnt read the last two pages though.

When I went and got my driver's license, they DID ask for my legal status. So yes, showing your DL would be proof enough for legal residence.
The uscis ( united cstates citizen and immigration service) already requires us to have your greencards etc. on us. Of course I never do that because it's like 400 bucks to replace it ( Well, as a matter of fact.. I will be sworn in as U.S. citizen at the end of may)
Americans FIRST, then legal immigrants. That's how I see it. I would never dare to violate any U.S law. I am a guest in this country and will still consider me a guest even when I have my U.S. citizenship.
Immigrationg to the U.S. is a priviledge and it is not a right. How dare they go on the street and demand amnesty
And BTW.. where I am from we do mow our own lawn, wash the cars etc. It's a werid thing here that people need somebody to do all those things. But ok. And also, they do hold a lot of jobs Americans WOULD do.
Of course they do take jobs away. Many of them work in fields that would put food on the tables of Americans normally. Probably African Americans would be hit hardest. Can't believe nobody thinks about them. Working at walmart or working in manufacturing DOES put food on your family's table. Don't look down to those jobs. They are very important. Without them nothing would work. And once you work your way up, you do earn decent money! But it's not just African Americans. It's about every American who needs those important jobs. I don't understand how Democrats can put illegals before hard working Americans. Shame on them.
And many of you say "citizenship". That's not quite correct. They want proof of legal resident. That can be a greencard or a visa etc.
It's funny how some posters in this thread seem to defend illegals. Umm, what about US legal immigrants? You don't care about that.
I'm not even talking about the crimes they commit etc. I thought Americans are proud of their country?? It's a matter of American integrity. Those people trample on you laws and don't give a crap about Americans.
And cjester argument is total nonsense. But I guess some people need to come up with something since otherwise they would't have to say anything against this law.
I knew 2 students at U of H. One was from Africa and the other one from Europe. They had to go home because they could not afford the 8k Dollars per semster for out of state tuition. Funny how Texas allows illegals to get in state tuition and everybody else has to shell out a ton of money. I gotta say that I am actually a very liberal guy ( ban on all guns, abortion rights, gay rights, single-payer health system etc. You get the idea. Probably even more to the left than Nancy Pelosi. I don't agree with Republicans on one single issue but the NO amnesty.
If the Democrats pass an amnesty bill, I will never ever vote for Democrats, donate money to them, support them etc. again. What a huge betrayal this would be for me, legal immigrants, and most importantly for Americans. They would NEVER ever get my vote in ANY election. I don't care how stupid the Republicans are, but they will get my vote then....for as long as I live.
I will do whatever I can to fight this amnesty.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Two words: hell no.
How does it feel to be on the wrong side of an issue and the wrong side of the law at the same time?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
How does it feel to be on the wrong side of an issue and the wrong side of the law at the same time?
Dude, how does it feel to to be COMPLETELY wrong thinking you know me? I was born and raised right here in Texas, and I still think this is an absolutely AWFUL idea.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 PM

76 posts, read 268,822 times
Quote:
Dude, how does it feel to to be COMPLETELY wrong thinking you know me? I was born and raised right here in Texas, and I still think this is an absolutely AWFUL idea.
Idea? It's current federal law. Nothing new is being introduced.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthou View Post
Idea? It's current federal law. Nothing new is being introduced.
Not really. It's the immigration department's job to deal with illegal immigrants, not the every day police force who's job it is to protect us, as apposed to deporting people. This is putting a very unfair burden on the police force. Not to mention, I know racial profiling already goes on, but we shouldn't creating laws to give police permission to do so. And let me ask you, if you don't think this going to lead to racial profiling, which "ethnic" neighborhoods in Houston and Dallas do you think this enforced the strongest? Do you really that police in the Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, and Pakistani neighborhoods are going to be as pressured to enforce such a law as the Hispanic communities?

Last edited by wpmeads; 05-03-2010 at 12:00 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Not really. It's the immigration department's job to deal with illegal immigrants, not the every day police force who's job it is to protect us, as apposed to deporting people. This is putting a very unfair burden on the police force. Not to mention, I know racial profiling already goes on, but we shouldn't creating laws to give police permission to do so. And let me ask you, if you don't think this going to lead to racial profiling, which "ethnic" neighborhoods in Houston and Dallas do you think this enforced the strongest? Do you really that police in the Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, and Pakistani neighborhoods are going to be as pressured to enforce such a law as the Hispanic communities?
The law in AZ doesn't change anything about enforcement, the local and state police aren't responsible for deporting anyone just like before. This is about being able to determine who is and who isn't legal so that the illegals can be turned over to ICE for deportation or criminal prosecution if it's found that they broke more than just the federal immigration laws. The law also strictly prohibits racial profiling, read the law before you make all of these assumptions. The only reason why this would be enforced more in Hispanic communities is because there's so many more illegal Hispanics than any other race of people. Remember illegal isn't a race, if 100% of the illegal immigrants were deported that wouldn't be racist even though the majority would be Hispanic.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imforit View Post
I knew 2 students at U of H. One was from Africa and the other one from Europe. They had to go home because they could not afford the 8k Dollars per semster for out of state tuition. Funny how Texas allows illegals to get in state tuition and everybody else has to shell out a ton of money.

"Illegal immigrants entering Texas' higher education system are direct beneficiaries of a 1982 Supreme Court decision, Plyler vs. Doe. Parents in Tyler sued after the state began charging tuition for illegal immigrant children. The court ruled that Texas and the rest of the country must educate illegal immigrant children free of charge in public schools."

The children get instate tuition because they spent their lives in the state school system. If your parents brought you here as a baby and you lived your whole life in Texas and graduated from high school should you be punished for your parents sins? Also if your whole family lives in the US and you have lived in the US your entire life are you supposed to go back to some foreign country where you may know nobody?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 AM

76 posts, read 268,822 times
Quote:
Not really. It's the immigration department's job to deal with illegal immigrants, not the every day police force who's job it is to protect us, as apposed to deporting people. This is putting a very unfair burden on the police force.
The illegals just being here puts more burden on the force, on hospitals, on social services, etc. Since the immigration department isn't doing their job, that is why we are faced with this situation.

Quote:
Not to mention, I know racial profiling already goes on, but we shouldn't creating laws to give police permission to do so.
Where specifically does the law give permission for the police to racial profile? Your comment sounds as if you haven't read the proposal.

Quote:
And let me ask you, if you don't think this going to lead to racial profiling, which "ethnic" neighborhoods in Houston and Dallas do you think this enforced the strongest? Do you really that police in the Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, and Pakistani neighborhoods are going to be as pressured to enforce such a law as the Hispanic communities?
Again it is clear you have not read the proposal. The proposal clearly states that there must be probable cause in order to stop someone, just as current laws have been upheld in the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: