Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

How many of you actually carry something that proves you're here legally? Driver's license doesn't prove anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 03:19 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
First off, you're either an American or you're not an American, so I'll assume you mean a dark skinned American of Mexican descent. What in particular about the AZ law do you think would be the problem? Have you even read it?
Yes I have. It's an insult. An absolute insult.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:20 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
If you were a dark Mexican-American you would not think this law was a great idea.
Did you see the story on TV, where a native-born American was stopped and detained because he didn't have his birth certificate with him. His wife had to leave work, drive home and get both his and her birth certificate (smart girl - can you imagine if she had gone down there without hers?) and drive them across town - so they would let him go. He was a truck driver - I believe the truck was towed. I guess his crime was being here while brown.
How many people carry their birth certificate with them? How many even have them at home? Oh, wait, I'm white - I don't have to worry about it. In that case, it's fine, I guess. We are starting down a slippery slope with this. Starts out small and gets bigger.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
For the OP, I think it's a GREAT idea but I'd rather see it become a state wide TX law instead of just a Houston thing because that will just drive the problem to another part of the state.
Ditto!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:30 PM

683 posts, read 428,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yes I have. It's an insult. An absolute insult.
Well that's too bad because the overwhelming majority of legal US citizens feel that the way the fed gov. has handled the illegal immigration problem for the last 10 - 20 years is far more insulting than asking someone who's already suspected of a crime to prove that they're in the country legally.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:32 PM

683 posts, read 428,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
How many of you actually carry something that proves you're here legally? Driver's license doesn't prove anything.
Which part of the AZ bill requires you to produce something other than a DL? In addition, wouldn't it make sense that once you only issue state DL or IDs to legal citizens you could then use that as proof of citizenship? Oh wait, I forgot about the sanctuary cities and states that have issues driver's licenses to ILLEGAL aliens, how stupid is that?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:50 PM

76 posts, read 268,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
What would you think if Arizona's new and
For those who don't know, the law basically states that police will have the right to question any one who they suspect is in the country illegally. The law also requires that immigrants carry special identification with them to verify their immigration status if needed. If the person does not have the proper ID, he can be detained until the true immigration status can be confirmed.
You should at least try and be accurate in your statements. The proposal states that there must be probably cause (as the laws read now) in order to stop someone. It won't be legal to just stop someone because of skin tone. As for having a "special" identification, that's not true either. All they have to have is what is currently required by the federal government (maintaining authorization from the federal government to remain in the United States).

Last edited by matthou; 04-30-2010 at 04:09 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 03:57 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,099 times
Oh, look at how many people are playing the overused "that's against the Constitution!" card.

I think, while I wouldn't fully support it, it's a step in the right direction. I don't know if you've looked at the numbers, but these illegal immigrants are costing this country billions.

And also, we're going about this the wrong way. Let's secure our damn borders before we institute something like this.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Controversial incidents

In March 2008, Jamiel Shaw Jr., a high school athlete, was murdered in Los Angeles by Pedro Espinoza, an illegal immigrant gang member from MS 13, as he was walking home. It is believed that Espinoza mistook Shaw Jr. for a rival gang member. Espinoza's legal status was not checked even though he had been arrested for assault and was released a day before the murder according to Police Chief Officer William Bratton. As a result of Jamiel Shaw Jr.'s death, a new ordinance is being proposed by family members that would allow police in the area to arrest suspected illegal immigrant gang members. In May 2009, members of the Shaw family filed a lawsuit against the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Sanctuary city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many more cases and this $hit is unacceptable!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:07 PM

I wish slick rick would grow a pair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: