Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM

44 posts, read 51,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Well no problem! I hope I could help. Just out of curiosity, did you grow up in Houston or the suburbs? A lot of the people I've met in college from the suburbs seem to be kind of oblivious about what there is to do in Houston, other than the Galleria and cliche chain restaurants that you can find in any big city (like Fogo De Chao or the Cheese Cake Factory). It was really kind of frustrating transferring to Houston, and most of the people I met from Sugarland, Clear Lake, The Woodlands, etc., couldn't really tell me all that much about Houston. IMO, it's not that Houston is boring, it's just that too many people here are satisfied with malls and chain restaurants. But there really are some cool things to do Houston. You just have to do a bit more searching and asking around then most cities.

As for "acclaimed restaurants," that's VERY relative. It all depends on who you ask. No offense, but it seems like you found one list that left off all the Houston restaurants and took it as facts. I've seen several list that considered Houston to be one of the top 5 or 6 food cities in the country. Also, you can find good food outside of high profile restaurants in any big city, even New York I'm sure. Anyway, you mentioned you spent some time in London which is why I brought up Feast. The two owners spent quite a bit of time in London. Here's a quote from their website:

"Richard has more than 20 years experience as a chef. Whilst in London he worked in, amongst others, Green’s and The Lindsay House, Michelin starred, high profile, establishments, before becoming Head Chef of a very successful restaurant in the world-famous artist community at St. Ives in Cornwall.He has lived in the US for 13 years, first in California, working as a private chef and caterer in Laguna Hills, before moving to Texas in 1998. Prior to opening ‘Taverna’ with James and Meagan in Conroe, he was the Executive Head Chef at the Chevron Texaco Building in downtown Houston. James has also worked in all aspects of the restaurant business for two decades. Amongst much other experience in London, he ran Charles Fontaine’s renowned Quality Chop House and Sam and Sam Clark’s award winning Moro restaurant.

Most tellingly, he worked extensively at Fergus Henderson's St. John Restaurant, in central London’s Clerkenwell district, which was recently, again, named in the top twenty best restaurants in the world by Restaurant Magazine and, famously, is Anthony Bourdain’s ‘favorite restaurant in the world’. Here, following in his family’s tradition, he also trained as a butcher and a chef."
Isn't all of Houston a suburb? I've always wondered, what is considered suburban Houston and what isn't? With the exception of downtown and its surroundings, everything seems to be the suburbs.

I lived inside the loop, so it seemed a bit more city-ish (due to proximity to downtown Houston), but certainly suburban in nature.

Anyway, thanks for the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Yawn............. zzzzzzzz

Old 05-02-2010, 09:21 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
Although I agree that he was a kind of rude in his post, but IMO, it really wasn't worth negative backlash that was received mainly because I've heard very similar discrepancies from transplants (NOT just from New York) and life long residence a like. Because of this, I don't THINK he was trolling and was asking a serious question, but I could be wrong.. SUBlime seems to think is trolling, so maybe he was.

But I COMPLETELY agree with you about Houston the restaurant seen. It's a massive and very diverse city with a very wide verity of food genres and very reputable restaurant scene.

I wasn't really bashing Houston. I do like Houston, but I was just trying to give an honest prospective about my time in the city.

As for the music in Houston, outside of classical, hip hop, cliche pop music, and MAYBE jazz (I've heard there's actually some really cool jazz clubs around town), what else is there? Seriously, that's probably the only really big complaint I have about Houston is its music scene.
I understand, you weren't bashing Houston, I read a little too deep into your comment, but you're missing my point. Indie hipster music IS mainstream now. It's cliche. And just so everyone knows, so are "cutsie" bars and restaurants that serve mediocre food. You are however entitled to your opinion on what is good music and therefore your complaints valid in that respect, it just gets annoying when the majority try to tell the minority.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Richbaby is a TROLL look at his latest bash houston thread, you guys have been played by a playa. Come on people......Richie Rich is bored to tears? Gimme a break.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I understand, you weren't bashing Houston, I read a little too deep into your comment, but you're missing my point. Indie hipster music IS mainstream now. It's cliche. And just so everyone knows, so are "cutsie" bars and restaurants that serve mediocre food. You are however entitled to your opinion on what is good music and therefore your complaints valid in that respect, it just gets annoying when the majority try to tell the minority.
Trust me. If you live in Houston and listen to indie, your ARE in the minority. Most people here listen to Hip-hop (although your average Houstonian does have a pretty good taste in Hip-hop, I have to give them that) radio pop, country, or really cheesy alternative bands (Greenday, Blue October, Nickleback, etc.). Although, I'm sure Boston is quite the opposite though. Also, just because I listen to indie music doesn't make me a hipster. I'm really not a hipster. I also listen to rap and Texas country/folk/blue grass but it doesn't make me a gangster or a redneck. To be honest, I listen to WAY more then just indie and I still have problem finds musicians I like who stop in Houston.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornrich View Post
Isn't all of Houston a suburb? I've always wondered, what is considered suburban Houston and what isn't? With the exception of downtown and its surroundings, everything seems to be the suburbs.

I lived inside the loop, so it seemed a bit more city-ish (due to proximity to downtown Houston), but certainly suburban in nature.

Anyway, thanks for the link.
I guess compared to London or New York, it would be. On Texas standards, I would consider everything outside of the Loop, Uptown and maybe Bellaire to be the "suburbs".

Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
The urban/suburban thing is all relative. Compared to Manhattan, Queens is suburban but Queens would be the most urbanized place in the South if it was located there, because it's just on a different scale when it comes to density. On that scale, inner loop Houston is as urbanized as anywhere else in the Sun Belt, other than perhaps New Orleans. Most large Southern cities grew up and out after the automobile, so that has a lot to do with the way things are. Same with Southern California for that matter.

Urbanity as Richie here reckons it only exists in a few select places in America outside Northeastern cities. Inner Chicago. San Francisco. There really aren't a whole lot of them. Chicago was once low-slung and spread out too, but it grew up. And Houston is growing up too.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 PM

76 posts, read 268,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornrich View Post
My parents live in Houston, and I'll be spending the entire summer there for summer break starting May 10th.

What do people do in Houston? Where do young people with good taste go?

I was raised in Houston (have lived in London and now New York) and I still don't know what people do for fun in that city.

The only thing I did after (high) school in the afternoon was do things like drive to the Galleria and hang out with friends someplace stupid like "Rice Village" or Memorial, go to the movies and end up at some low-rent restaurant (why doesn't Houston have any acceptable restaurants?). Live in River Oaks and was in Houston in March and I drove past some new development at the corner of Kirby and Alabama. Is it open yet? Is it something interesting or is another lame/faux attempt at "urbanity"?

With its non-existent dining scene, I'll probably starve to death, but perhaps I won't be bored this time around? So where do people go? I'm curious.
People with taste usually don't ask these types of questions. How did you end up at a low rent restaurant if you have taste? Sounds like you won't "starve to death" if you allowed yourself to enter such a "low rent" place.

Last edited by matthou; 05-02-2010 at 10:56 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 10:33 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
Trust me. If you live in Houston and listen to indie, your ARE in the minority. Most people here listen to Hip-hop (although your average Houstonian does have a pretty good taste in Hip-hop, I have to give them that) radio pop, country, or really cheesy alternative bands (Greenday, Blue October, Nickleback, etc.). Although, I'm sure Boston is quite the opposite though. Also, just because I listen to indie music doesn't make me a hipster. I'm really not a hipster. I also listen to rap and Texas country/folk/blue grass but it doesn't make me a gangster or a redneck. To be honest, I listen to WAY more then just indie and I still have problem finds musicians I like who stop in Houston.
You're not a hipster, because that would make everyone hipster, and hipsters thrive on the unique hipness of being hip. I'll DM you with what I think is a good cultural explanation--just had this convo with my roomie. Boston's has early Classical music and independent rock, at its forefront, yes.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
You're not a hipster, because that would make everyone hipster, and hipsters thrive on the unique hipness of being hip. I'll DM you with what I think is a good cultural explanation--just had this convo with my roomie. Boston's has early Classical music and independent rock, at its forefront, yes.
No, I don't consider myself a hipster because I know a few they tend to be the most pretentious, judgmental....... well you fill in the blank, that I've ever met in my life. I'd rather not be associated with them. Most of my "indie" friends even try and avoid these types. Besides, you don't even know me, how can you try and label me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston