Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:11 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Back in the day we were swapping Jolly Ranchers, PBJs, Halloween candy, milk, fruit...how did we ever survive? 5 second rule? You betcha. Nut allergies didn't exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmedic View Post
Neither did Hep C, HIV, ebola, Superfund sites, restrictions on asbestos, lead based paint, mercury, and on and on and on. We didn't much wear seat belts either, and it's generally accepted that that's a fairly decent idea. Just because we did things diffrerently back in the day, doesn't mean they were better ways....

and yet, by some miracle, the vast majority survive to this day......

oh, and hepatitis, ebola, superfund sites, asbestos, lead based paint, mercury and on and on and on all existed then too ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
For that, they jail your entire family.
That's just not strict enough; death penalty!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This doesn't even make sense? What is the first page of communism? And can you tell me what is on the first page of freedom?

Did you read my post? Most of it had to do with how the penalty was misrepresented. The thread title says "suspended". I correctly pointed out that it was detention, not suspension. Then I pointed out it was lunch & recess. Not hard time. Kinda like when I was a kid and misbehaved, I had to sit out recess. It's called being held accountable. And third grade is not too young.

I advocate that people take responsibility for their actions. What do you advocate?
What do I advocate?

I advocate FREEDOM !!!! FREEDOM from fat headed politicians, pigs, HOAs and the 3rd political party....the Teachers Union.

Now that I read yours, read mine and answer this time. Truthfully that is. Would you or would you not be the first to complain and have the loudest mouth if the they threw your kid out of school for eating a piece of candy? By any modern day communist rule, a kid eating a piece of candy is NOT a crime....in school or out. If it were then the schools would be empty.

Schools are supposed to be learning institutions, not Dictators.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:56 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What do I advocate?

I advocate FREEDOM !!!! FREEDOM from fat headed politicians, pigs, HOAs and the 3rd political party....the Teachers Union.

Now that I read yours, read mine and answer this time. Truthfully that is. Would you or would you not be the first to complain and have the loudest mouth if the they threw your kid out of school for eating a piece of candy? By any modern day communist rule, a kid eating a piece of candy is NOT a crime....in school or out. If it were then the schools would be empty.

Schools are supposed to be learning institutions, not Dictators.
The word you're looking for is totalitarian, not communism. 'Communism' is an economic theory that is dead and could never be implemented in practicality except in small social communes such as the Harmonists. If schools had done their job as learning institutions, you would know this. But they're too busy pushing their own totalitarian theories - a strange mixture of liberalism and conservatism that only teaches children to obey the government without question.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Late to the party...

I guess she'll get the Teacher Of The Month Award. Where can I send an apple to?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
check out the Texas Dept of Agriculture's reply, in that the school went too far:

State says school went too far in giving child detention over Jolly Rancher | khou.com | Khou.com - News, Houston news, Texas News, Headlines

Dept of Agriculture says basically... "this particular incident ... would not be considered a violation of the state or federal nutrition program and therefore would not have jeopardized your district’s food service funding.”

So it really comes down to the state saying, hey you either stop the kids from eating candy at school or we take away your lunch funding.

Here's the manifesto, by the way:
A spectre is haunting our schools... All the powers of our state and federal governments have entered into an un-holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: president, governor, senator, congressman, over-zealous school adminstrators, other children's parents....

Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
For that, they jail your entire family.
Ahhhh...I see! The cell phone FAMILY PLAN in action.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 PM

102 posts, read 185,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and yet, by some miracle, the vast majority survive to this day......

oh, and hepatitis, ebola, superfund sites, asbestos, lead based paint, mercury and on and on and on all existed then too ......
Perhaps not. I'll grant you the mercury, because it's still around today, however in much more limited quantities and uses, but

Ebola - first outbreak in 1977
Hep C - Investigated in the mid-70s, confirmed in 1988, published in 1989
Superfund - Established in 1980

The LBP and asbestos were here then, but not now. and the point I was trying to make is that just because we did things a certain way back in the day, it doesn't mean that it's the greatest idea to continue them, even if the majority of us escaped unscathed.

It's interesting that the whole thread seems to be so focused on the disparity between the alleged offense (eating a piece of candy), and the punishment (suspension/detention). When in fact the offense was SHARING FOOD, which, like it or not, is a violation of their rules, and apparently one that they had tried to enforce with lesser punishments with no success. And the punishment was not suspension, or even detention, (at least not what was considered detention when I was in school). She was merely restricted from socializing during lunch and recess for a couple of days. No after school punishment, no eraser banging, no swats, nothing that would even cause me to raise an eyebrow as a parent of elementary school age kids. The article doesn't say what happened to the other child, so all we can do is guess.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:05 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
Quote:
... in fact the offense was SHARING FOOD, which, like it or not, is a violation of their rules...
Don't share food or you get detention.
One of the major things I was raised up to believe was a virtue, sharing, is now a punishable offense.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Perhaps not. I'll grant you the mercury, because it's still around today, however in much more limited quantities and uses, but

Ebola - first outbreak in 1977
Hep C - Investigated in the mid-70s, confirmed in 1988, published in 1989
Superfund - Established in 1980

The LBP and asbestos were here then, but not now. and the point I was trying to make is that just because we did things a certain way back in the day, it doesn't mean that it's the greatest idea to continue them, even if the majority of us escaped unscathed.

It's interesting that the whole thread seems to be so focused on the disparity between the alleged offense (eating a piece of candy), and the punishment (suspension/detention). When in fact the offense was SHARING FOOD, which, like it or not, is a violation of their rules, and apparently one that they had tried to enforce with lesser punishments with no success. And the punishment was not suspension, or even detention, (at least not what was considered detention when I was in school). She was merely restricted from socializing during lunch and recess for a couple of days. No after school punishment, no eraser banging, no swats, nothing that would even cause me to raise an eyebrow as a parent of elementary school age kids. The article doesn't say what happened to the other child, so all we can do is guess.
ebola and hep c ... maybe first IDENTIFIED in the 70's and 80's ... but i guarantee you they did not just emerge out of the blue at those times.....

superfund established in 1980 .... sure .... but the sites were in existence LONG before then .... just hadn't been NAMED yet...... and i bet there are a LOT of people walking around to this day that managed to survive being near or even on them when they were kids........

be that as it may.......

the original article said the previous, and i'm presuming less severe, punishments had not been successful..... wonder what THOSE involved....

i'm thinkin the original article blew the entire incident completely out of proportion..... as did the administrators......

so so so glad i don't have kids in school these days.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston