U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 PM

7 posts, read 70,175 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

We are relocating to Houston this Summer for a new job opportunity. I will be working in the center of downtown, and am already dreading the commute . That being said, I've been researching the forum for the best neighborhoods with a reasonable commute, great schools, and reasonable housing prices. I've come up with the top choices being Pearland, Sugarland, and Katy so far, but I am open to any others that people may suggest. I am looking for recommendations on neighborhoods or even specific subdivisions if anyone can help. My priorities are below.

1) Schools: I have a 6-yr old and a 2-yr old. We plan on being here for a while, so I want to make sure we land in a good school district. That being said, it doesn't need to be the best in the state, but must be very good. From what I've read, it seems that Sugarland and Katy have the best schools.... should I assume that all the schools in those areas are great, or do we need to be very particular about the specific school district we choose? How are Pearland schools?

2) Commute: I'll probably be commuting near peak traffic times, and I want to minimize my commute as much as possible. I understand that Pearland will have the shortest commute, but how much shorter will it be than others?

3) Price: We're looking to spend around $250k, and hope to get a 2500 sq ft house (or larger) with a reasonable size yard.

Where should I be looking? (Pearland, Katy, Sugarland, somewhere else)?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 AM

12,567 posts, read 19,362,134 times
From what some posters said, the 3 suburbs are identical. So, you probably can't go wrong with either of them.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:19 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,298,292 times
Personally I would be loathe to take on any of those commutes. With the same age kids, and the same budget as you (though commutes are to the universities rather than downtown, not a big difference) we chose the Westbury area. Parker and Kolter are exemplary elementaries. Pin Oak is an exemplary middle school. The problem is high school; the zoned school is Westbury, so you would have to rely on magnets or private at that point. I adore the neighborhood and the drive times are great; there are non-freeway options if needed.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the comments so far... Westbury looks very interesting. I was actually thinking about how nice it would be to live near the metroRail so that I could avoid driving during rush hour all-together. Any opinions on the rail? Also, looking at HAR.com, it looks like I would struggle to find something nice in Westbury for $250k... am I missing something? I just searched on Westbury as the subdivision...

Old 05-08-2010, 01:53 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,298,292 times
You wouldn't be near the metrorail in Westbury; the proposed University line will have a station or terminal north of here; I guess you could ride a bike there. Not the best neighborhood up there though.

Try searching zip codes 77096 and 77035. But check each property for schools zones (using the HISD school zone search tool... I don't know the url but you can google it) since they vary widely in these zips. You should be able to get a nice 3-bedroom ca. 2000 sq. ft. between 225K and 250K.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:05 PM

488 posts, read 1,268,393 times
We are in Pearland - we moved here almost 2 years ago from the UK. Our 2 main priorities were schools as we have a 10 year old son and commute. My sons schools - Cockrell Elemetary and Sablatura Middle School have both been excellent - he is in their GT programme and is doing really well. So far his teachers have been fantastic. My husband's commute was originally over to Greens Port on the east but is now west to just off of the beltway before westheimer - both averaged about 40 minutes. We knew about the move before we chose where to live so picked a middle spot ! Hubby has chimed in to add that the 288 from Pearland to Downtown at rush hour is a car park however Hwy35 would be a good choice from Pearland.

I like Pearland as it is quiet but still has all the amenities that you would need however every time I drive to Sugarland I really do like the 'feel' of the area - can't really explain why. We are in Lakes of Highland Glen off of the Pearland Parkway so 5 minutes and you are on the Beltway

Personally I think the Katy commute to downtown would be awful plus the area is too suburban for my liking - all houses, houses, houses.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:53 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,357,716 times
Well if you are unable to find any areas closer in Id just go with Pearland although you might want to look at Kingwood since traffic on US 59 isn't really that bad compared with I-45.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:38 PM

8,730 posts, read 17,852,975 times
If considering Pearland in the mix - you might check out neighboring Friendswood and Clear Lake (schools zoned to Clear Lake High) - both of those areas are great family areas and have better ranked schools.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:27 PM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far... I'm definitely taking notes. I'll be in town for a couple of days next week, and I plan to at least drive through most of the areas that have been suggested. Any more? Keep them coming

Also, any thoughts on the difference in the commute from Pearland/Katy/Sugarland to downtown? From what I've gathered, it sounds like Pearland is closest, followed by Sugarland, followed by Katy (and of course none of them are as short as westbury/meyerland). But what I can't tell is how much difference is there between the three: 10 mins, 30 mins, more?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:51 PM

29 posts, read 91,115 times
Don't waste your time, Pearland is your answer.

And to you who likes the "feel" of sugar land it is only cause the grass is greener on the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston