Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times

Advertisements

Oh no!! You didn't like "Houston" (glaring little facts like not being actually in the city, notwithstanding)?? I simply can no longer take this life to think that you don't like "Houston" for the inane and petty reasons you've espoused. Get a life...

Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Avid traveller and honest post. Attacking the poster for the message just diverts attention from the issues. I've never seen people buy so many damn bottles of non-recyclable plastic water bottles. So, add wastefulness to my list. Aside from sidewalks, everyone ignored the issues and made silly little comments about me. Guess I'll add THAT to my list

Honestly a bit more information about where you were at would be a bit more helpful. Houston is a HUGE city, with many outlying areas that are often called 'houston'.

In my city, which is a suburb of Houston, we have curbside recycling, great tasting tap water (only buy bottled water for events/days when we'll be away from the house all day or weekend), tons of people ride their bike/walk their dog/jog/run, etc. Even some of the kids walk home from school right thru the neighborhood.

There are lots of fast food establishments, but they are only here because people support them, and nobody forces anyone to eat it. And I choose not to eat fast food. I think this is your least logical complaint.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
That's okay. I've been to Upstate NY and didn't like it either.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Seriously. If someone thinks Sugar Land doesn't have sidewalks, the rest of their post loses credibility.
Exactly.
And if she thinks Sugar Land doesn't have enough sidewalks... where they line both sides of Hwy 6 and even part of Hwy 90 now, she'd really hate most other parts of the Houston metro and even city proper.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
Having come from Smug Capital of the US, i.e. California, I would say Houston is less obsessed with recycling, but I'd hardly call it "not concerned". My kids come home from school having obviously been receiving their daily brainwash on Green this or that, and how to recycle your toilet paper using nothing more than a pair of nail clippers and microwave oven.

Our trash is segregated, so I don't know what you are on about. Maybe the people you visited just don't care about it. Honestly, to get a person over the age of 40 to really get too excited about recycling is not the easiest thing.

Also, you must be lucky enough to come from a mountain community somewhere because tap water here is *miles* better than the "tastes like drinking out of a hotel swimming pool" tap water I was used to in Orange County, California. Personally, I drink beer, so I don't give a rats ass what tap water tastes like.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:23 AM

75 posts, read 196,835 times
I wish plastic water bottles were the biggest problem....but IMHO that would be 9,859,304 on the list of problems in Houston.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Just my 1/2cent:
As much as I love Houston, Skatergirl made some valid observations. Having lived in a lot of metropolitans, I agree that overall, Houstonians don't recycle as much as many other cities. Of course this is a generalization, as I do have some friends that are avid recyclers. However, the majority of people I know would throw home parties where everything is plastic, all drinks are in bottles/cans, and everyday their home meals would be eaten on same type of utensils, bottled water,etc. I'm a practical person so admitteldly, I myself stopped recycling since I've moved here because it's just too hard. Other cities have good recycling programs-- it was effortless, recyc bins are always nearby whether it be in an apt, house, school, office, all i had to do was sort. Now, the only I do is reduce and reuse, not recycle.
Overall, Houston is not a pedestrian friendly city. Many suburbs do have sidewalks, but most areas in the city do not have continuous sidewalks...."Overall", I do not consider Houston to be a pedestrian friendly city and many of Houston posters have admitted this on other threads.
Junk food is prevalent all over the US, and it's up to the people whether they buy it or not, so I dont' have issues with this. However, Houston is one of the most obese cities in the US, so we may have a problem with people's education about nutrition.
And yes, Houstons' posters on City-data are too defensive. I don't think most Houstonians are like that but most posters here are. Any city or group of people can always improve but in order to do so, we need to take criticism objectively. If we don't agree, fine, we don't need to try to silence everyone who says anything negative about our city.
Another thing that I don't like about Houston, in general we litter too much. We need to have stricter enforment and fines against people to litter.

Great post But its going to be hard for them too do that. Thats with any city on here. No one wants for there city to be talked about in a negative way. As long as someone is saying positive the posters are fine with that.. Dont say anything negative that just so happen to be true. They still will jump down your throat..

Old 05-10-2010, 11:18 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
[/b]

Great post But its going to be hard for them too do that. Thats with any city on here. No one wants for there city to be talked about in a negative way. As long as someone is saying positive the posters are fine with that.. Dont say anything negative that just so happen to be true. They still will jump down your throat..
Hey, I have no problem with negative posts about Houston. Just make it worth my time to read. Recycling issues in a town that's not even in Houston? Seems a little trite to me.

Complain about the heat. The mosquitoes. The panhandlers on every corner. Complain about the nasty smell from the combination of tortillas, oil and smog on the east side.

Complain about the illegals at every Lowe's and Home Depot. Or complain about these 9 guys that are stinking it up night after night at Minute Maid Park.

But to complain about recycling and a lack of sidewalks? Give me a break.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM

177 posts, read 425,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
[/b]

Imagine this. If someone comes to your house and says, 'your house is ugly, or your house is stinking filthy.' How do you take of that?

Be open minded!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 AM

912 posts, read 2,557,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Difficult, but not impossible:

City of Houston eGovernment Center

The department has several permanent sites and one weekend site where residents can bring recyclables:

Westpark Consumer Recycling Center at 5900 Westpark (also includes tires, BOPA, and Scrap Electronics recycling)
Environmental Service Center (South) at 11500 South Post Oak (For household hazardous waste and scrap electronics recycling only)
Kirkpatrick Depository at 5565 Kirkpatrick (Tires and oil also)
Central Street Depository at 2240 Central Street (Tires and oil also)
Sunbeam Depository at 5100 Sunbeam (Tires and oil also)
Windfern Depository at 6023 Windfern (Tires and oil also)
3602 Center (newspaper, magazines, office paper; glass food & beverage bottles and jars; #1 -5, and 7 plastics; tin & aluminum food cans; cardboard boxes-broken down) -- Open 24/7
Green Star at 1200 Brittmoore
1245 Judiway (Glass only)
Kingwood Park & Ride at 3210 W. Lake Houston Parkway (open weekends)
Ellington Field (Clear Lake Area) at Highway 3 @ Dixie Farm Road -- Open 24/7
Additional drop-off sites are located at your local H-E-B food stores.
Recycling Locations Map (.pdf)
Am I the only one here who sees the irony of lots of individuals driving their crappy outsize cars, burning up lots of petrol, to take a car's worth of recycling to some depot miles from where they live?

Talk about eviron-MENTAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston