Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:58 AM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
https://www.decodedscience.org/why-d...el-colder/6736

On a very cool damp day, however, this layer of trapped air contains water molecules. If it is damp, our clothing is also likely to contain some water molecules. It takes more heat energy to warm water than air. In physics parlance, water has a higher specific heat capacity than air. If the layer of air next to the skin is damp, it therefore takes more of the body’s heat energy to warm it. Hence the perceived temperature is cooler.
There is a measure for this, it's called the "wind chill" index or factor !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:59 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
https://www.decodedscience.org/why-d...el-colder/6736

On a very cool damp day, however, this layer of trapped air contains water molecules. If it is damp, our clothing is also likely to contain some water molecules. It takes more heat energy to warm water than air. In physics parlance, water has a higher specific heat capacity than air. If the layer of air next to the skin is damp, it therefore takes more of the body’s heat energy to warm it. Hence the perceived temperature is cooler.
Quote:
Water vapor has about 10% more heat content per cubic foot per degree F. But the mass of the trapped air between you clothes and your body is so small compared to your own mass that heating up this air is not a signification contributor to feeling colder on a damp day.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:35 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I guess I'm the only person that feels colder when my skin is wet

Old 04-03-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm the only person that feels colder when my skin is wet
Being exposed to humidity is not the same as being wet. It turns out wind is a much more relevant criteria than humidity, which has been considered a insignificant factor in determining wind chill temps, according to the Wikipedia article I posted.

It turns out Texyn is right...

Old 04-03-2017, 01:08 PM

A factor ignored in discussions like this is that of weather "homeostasis." That is, the conditions upon stable presence of a weather pattern.

Conditions for homeostasis in Houston are much warmer than respective conditions in an area like Denver. Temps in the 30s-40s are near average high conditions for Denver during winter; the attendant conditions there (i.e. wind) are probably stable. On the other hand, the average high conditions are 60s-70s in Houston, so occurrence of 40s (especially in daylight hours) is the result of cold air advection from northern air-masses; as a result, they are more likely to be accompanied by wind (as well as rain and clouds initially in passage), making for "chilly" conditions compared to the same temperature in Denver. The temperature in Houston likely wouldn't be going much below the 50s at night and 70s in day if not for the cold air-masses.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Summers can be anything from rain almost every day to no rain for weeks at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Cyclic.
Slide 12 in this PDF gives a good illustration why:
http://cropinsurance.org/wp-content/...-CIRB-2015.pdf

Old 04-03-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Slide 12 in this PDF gives a good illustration why:
http://cropinsurance.org/wp-content/...-CIRB-2015.pdf

Texyn just dropped the mic and walked off stage,,, BOOM !

Old 04-03-2017, 07:56 PM

814 posts, read 759,593 times
IDK It's something that makes Houston cold feel really bad. It's not all the time, but sometimes it's that cold that makes you hurt. I've been far up in northern California where mornings are in the mid 30'S and it feel wonderful, nothing like Houston.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Texyn just dropped the mic and walked off stage,,, BOOM !
Forgot to mention that slides 10 and 11 also offer good graphics for explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
IDK It's something that makes Houston cold feel really bad. It's not all the time, but sometimes it's that cold that makes you hurt. I've been far up in northern California where mornings are in the mid 30'S and it feel wonderful, nothing like Houston.
This is, again, the matter of "weather homeostasis" I discussed earlier. Just replace Denver with Northern California:

Quote:
A factor ignored in discussions like this is that of weather "homeostasis." That is, the conditions upon stable presence of a weather pattern.

Conditions for homeostasis in Houston are much warmer than respective conditions in an area like Denver. Temps in the 30s-40s are near average high conditions for Denver during winter; the attendant conditions there (i.e. wind) are probably stable. On the other hand, the average high conditions are 60s-70s in Houston, so occurrence of 30s-40s (especially in daylight hours) is the result of cold air advection from northern air-masses; as a result, they are more likely to be accompanied by wind (as well as rain and clouds initially in passage), making for "chilly" conditions compared to the same temperature in Denver. The temperature in Houston likely wouldn't be going much below the 50s at night and 70s in day if not for the cold air-masses.

Last edited by Texyn; 04-03-2017 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 06:34 PM

21 posts, read 20,263 times
What is Houston weather like? I'll put it in perspective for you. It's the 9th of October. I took my dogs out for a walk, against my will. It's 88 degrees and 60% humidity at 7:30 PM. THI is 100 degrees. It feels like the middle of August. We have a cool front coming tomorrow. It will get down to 85 degrees with a little less humidity. That will last for a whole day. The disgusting heat and humidity will be back to the 90's by Friday. Winter? That would be 3-4 days in January or February. It will get as low as the mid 40's, but still humid. If it weren't for my family, I would have left this flood prone steamy swamp years ago. Usefull advise: Don't come here unless you have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston