Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:34 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTxn View Post
This is pretty accurate.
The poster is correct only in regards to the fact that winters have been warmer. 60s-80s brought some severe cold with high frequency to Houston and the South, where temps down to the teens weren't uncommon; starting with 1990, teens haven't been seen in Houston since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I'm sick and tired of people whining about Houston weather
It's so ridiculous, that people whine about Winter having highs in 60s and lows in the 40s.
Are you kidding me?

People start crying the second we hit 80F in Spring.

I lived in Missouri for 14 years and I remember a few days when the temperature got to 105F
I've been in Houston for 5 years and I don't think we got to 105F in the last 5 years.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I would never suggest that anybody be denied their right to an opinion, however hyperbole and flame need to be pointed out, that's all I was saying..
How was that flaming? Saying that Houston is hot and humid for most of the year isn't accurate?
Lots of people feel that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
It sucks.

We have 2 seasons - hot and hotter. Long gone are the cool winters and falls of my youth. It's just HOT. Some don't mind it, some do.
Exactly - some can bear it, some not, and that has nothing to do with the love for Houston, as that weather also affects other regions of coastal south Texas.
We came to the point that the slightest negative hint about Houston, creates an outburst of comments from name calling (troll alert!) to "if you don't like it, go back where you came from!"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
A year in Houston:

March - Good grief, are we already having 80 degree days? .....
Yup! That's exactly how I FEEL...

The city of Houston has now recorded five consecutive mornings of 80-degree plus temperatures. This average of 81.6 degrees trails only a five-day period in 2011 (81.8 degrees) for the warmest stretch of minimum temperatures in about 120 years of records for the city of Houston.
http://spacecityweather.com/temperat...n-warm-nights/
July 2016 was warmest July on record.

We should examine the "heat index" more closely, because it tells us "how hot it feels."
So, I don't care if the outside thermometer shows just 96F if the heat index is 105F+... That's how it feels
When the heat index rises above 105°F, heat exhaustion can set in and cause fainting, dizziness, confusion and vomiting.
When humidity crosses 60%, the body also loses its ability to cool itself by sweating.

Last edited by elnina; 03-29-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
A year in Houston:

March - Good grief, are we already having 80 degree days? We went from the 60s to the 80s seemingly overnight. Where is spring?
Exactly what I'm saying
we are not in Chicago, we are in Houston

I don't hear anybody saying that about Miami or Tucson

Old 03-29-2017, 12:38 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsltx View Post
Houston is a hot, humid, fetid swamp. Virtually endless heat and intense humidity make outdoor activity all but impossible for 8 months a year. Winter is virtually non existent. A couple of cool days a year and back to the sweaty, sweltering heat. If it weren't for a/c, this place would be uninhabitable for anything but bugs and snakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I would never suggest that anybody be denied their right to an opinion, however hyperbole and flame need to be pointed out, that's all I was saying..
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How was that flaming? Saying that Houston is hot and humid for most of the year isn't accurate?
Lots of people feel that way...
I concur that rrsltx post was hyperbole and flame and rightly called out by Jack.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:36 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Exactly what I'm saying
we are not in Chicago, we are in Houston

I don't hear anybody saying that about Miami or Tucson
Miami:
//www.city-data.com/forum/25854500-post8.html

Tucson:
//www.city-data.com/forum/19452926-post4.html

Old 03-29-2017, 05:52 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times
The real problem with Houston isn't the temperature. It's the floods that accompany every other storm. Despite being a major city, Houston's flood control measures are second rate. It is completely unprepared for the storms that routinely buffet the area. Apart from roads being non-navigable, there's the water damage that results from flooding. It's a great city otherwise, but flood control is clearly not a priority for city politicians.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Lots of people feel that way....
A lot of people post a lot of flame as well. Your characterization of his comments are highly filtered don't you think. He posted that outdoor activity was "all but impossible for 8 months out of the year" that is a extreme exaggeration to say the least which is hyperbolic . Then he went on to say that if not for air-conditioning, "this place would be uninhabitable for anything but bugs and snakes." trying to convey a image of a city that has a low quality of life in a way that is inflammatory.

I know it gets hot in Houston but if anybody is already dreading 80 temps I would suggest someplace besides Texas or the sunbelt in general , life is too short to be that miserable for that long.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times
The heat and humidity aren't even problems in my view, since such conditions are expected given the climate type.

The only improvements I would make to Houston's climate are the elimination of winter cold snaps, so that it stays in the 80s all winter long (same goes for the rest of the SE US), as well as increase of summer rainfall to match these levels (it aids in moderating summer temps).

Old 03-29-2017, 10:15 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
No seasons in Houston, not like other parts of the country.
Be thankful we have air conditioning. I don't know what our area did before A/C was available. Siestas?
So anyway, we live in an age when we have air conditioned cars and homes. With that said, I can walk outside year round at 11 PM at night and rarely wear a jacket. I can garden year round.

You can't judge this area just on the weather - That's the last thing to judge. Think of the diverse cultures here, the great schools, and jobs. There's something for everybody. That's the big reason why so many families may move away but still live in Texas - The job market is that diverse and it's not just rural and city living. There's many different zones from living on the coast to up in the hill country. The history of this state is rich and you can't find a more interesting people than those of Texas. Southern hospitality is true in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston