Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 35,395 times

Advertisements

Hi, I bought a house that needs some TLC, like putting new carpet, laminate floor, paint, fixing door, garage, some board replacement, plumbing leak fix, sheetrock fix, roof shingle, smoke detector install, AC clean up etc. Do you happen to know any good contractors that are able to do most of the stuff ?

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,516,015 times
Suggesting names to you borders on spamming and advertising. So just let me say to be careful out there. In these depression times with unemployment raging over 40% in the construction trades, everyone with a pick up truck and a tool box are calling themselves a contractor........but failing to say they are licensed, insured and bonded......because they are not. Nearly all these clowns are butchers and you will end up with the same problems you had in your last house which I hope you never paid them for.

Stay away from those contractor referral services. I won't go into how that works unless you ask. Stay away from the Craigslist ads or you are asking for not only butchers but rapists and murderers at worst and illegal aliens at best.

The best advice is to ask friends. I am no church person but sometimes the best referrals on contractors are from the church bulletin. You can ask your Realtor.They know everyone and if they are ever double crossed they will never again refer that person again. Talk to the person you are hiring. Use your gut feeling. Does he know what he is talking about or does he say more "ummmmmm" then Nobama does. How sharp is he? Even a dummy can identify a dope and an intelligent person

And good luck to ya

Last edited by desertsun41; 05-19-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 AM

381 posts, read 1,228,742 times
It probbaly depends on your neighborhood. Look for signs in neighbors yards? My recomendation is to get several quotes, and make sure the permit everythign with the city, if it needs to be.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:29 AM

809 posts, read 3,555,773 times
I sent you an email with a company I like. Make sure whoever you use has insurance.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,107 times
Default Got the perfect company for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxz44428 View Post
Hi, I bought a house that needs some TLC, like putting new carpet, laminate floor, paint, fixing door, garage, some board replacement, plumbing leak fix, sheetrock fix, roof shingle, smoke detector install, AC clean up etc. Do you happen to know any good contractors that are able to do most of the stuff ?

Thanks a lot.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:29 PM

739 posts, read 2,125,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxz44428 View Post

Thanks a lot.
Send me a private message and I will give you the name of the cntractor I used. Very reasonable and excellent work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston