Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:07 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times

Advertisements

Yes, there are flagrant violations that need to be addressed, and not all tickets are revenue generating of course. But there are some that are, and without having to describe each case, they are not too difficult to identify.

Police departments will deny any quota system exists, it is against the law, but they use other terms, such as averages, enforcement percentages, etc. It is all said with a wink of the eye, a nod of the head, whatever. If you know a Police Officer personally who trusts you, ask him/her what they have to say about it. I could be wrong, but I've been around long enough to doubt it.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-20-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 AM

192 posts, read 504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Yep, an article direct from Los Angeles, the last growing vestage of communism in the world. Figures.
? Perhaps I shouldn't have included the article, as my point was side-tracked.

Anyways, if people want to ride motorcycles without helmets it's their prerogative. It keeps the organ-donor industry afloat. Would any ethical physician support it though? Chances are unlikely.

To the original poster - my apologies, but I'm not aware of a good way to get out of a seatbelt ticket.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
I've always found it interesting that I have to wear a seatbelt, but when I'm on a Harley, I don't have to wear a helmet. I guess us hogriders have a larger lobby.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
I just hope that , beside the law regulations you are sane enough to protect yourself while riding your bike.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM

60 posts, read 271,076 times
This law came directly from the insurance lobby. It originated in Britain in the mid '80s and was only a few years in crossing the Atlantic. Most insurance companies were directly owned by British concerns at the time (I am uncertain of the remaining players today). It was lobbied, and passed through the withholding of Federal highway funds (as the feds always do) in order to get the minimum number of states to pass legislation. Like sheeple... it has been passively accepted by the masses. More laws in this vein were passed last year in this state and you probably never heard about them.

Fight the power.

(Yes, the motorcycle riders do have a more proactive lobby, even though there are far fewer of them on the roads.)

Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
I'm just glad we have Uncle Sam to watch out for us. Heaven forbid we be allowed to make our own safety and health decisions...

Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 PM

44 posts, read 189,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
So my wife and I (and 2 year old) were on our way to Lupe Tortilla the other day. We were at a stop light, and a police officer walked over from the side walk, knocked on our window, and ultimately gave my wife (the passenger) a $150 ticket for not having her seat belt on.

Is there any way to get out of this ticket? She wears her seat belt 99% of the time, but was not wearing it that second because our daughter had started to fuss, so my wife had undone her seatbelt to reach back and hand her something only seconds before the red light. I have heard various things about setting court dates or trying to contest it, but have no experience with any of this, so any advice would be appreciated.

You'd think that with all the crime here in Houston there would be better uses for our officers, but it is what it is.
I heard this on the radio many times in the last week. Jump to the last paragraph if you dont want to read the whole article.

from:Texas law enforcement wants you to click it, not risk a ticket (http://www.cityofmanvel.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=126:t exas-law-enforcement-wants-you-to-click-it-not-risk-a-ticket&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=53 - broken link)

<quote>
Monday, 18 May 2009 14:34 City of Manvel

From May 18 to May 31, law enforcement officers across the state will conduct the eighth “Click It or Ticket” enforcement mobilization to remind drivers and passengers to buckle up.
“We continue to participate in “Click It or Ticket” because there are still about 9 percent of Texans who are not buckling up,” said Texas Highway Patrol Chief David Baker. “That may not sound like many, but for every percent increase in safety belt use, 25 fewer Texans will be killed in traffic crashes.”
Safety belt use in Texas continues to rise. Last year, the Texas Transportation Institute reported 91.24 percent safety belt usage in the state, and this year’s goal is 93.25 percent—the highest goal set in the history of the Texas “Click It or Ticket” program.

When people don’t buckle up, it costs everyone. Since 2001, the use of safety belts in Texas has saved the state and society an estimated $8.25 billion in wage and productivity losses, medical expenses, insurance rate increases, travel delays and administrative and other associated costs.
Who is not buckling up? Front seat passengers don’t wear their safety belts as often as their drivers, even though they face just as great of a chance of being thrown through the windshield during a crash. Wearing a safety belt increases the odds of surviving a serious crash by 50 percent, and for pickup trucks, the odds are better with an increased chance of survival at 60 percent.

Texas law requires every person sitting in the front seat of a vehicle to wear a safety belt. The law also states that all children under 17 must be secured with a safety belt, or in a child safety seat, whether they are sitting in the front or in the back seat. A child less than five years old and less than 36 inches tall must be secured in a child safety seat. Drivers can be stopped and ticketed for a safety belt violation if they, or any of their passengers under the age of 17, are not buckled up or properly restrained. Traffic fines for failing to use a seat belt or secure a child in a safety seat can run from $25 to $200, plus court costs.

The Texas Department of Public Safety has had a zero-tolerance policy regarding seat belts and child safety seats since 1999. Drivers who are pulled over for seat belt and child safety seat violations by troopers will receive tickets for those violations.
<end quote>

Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/341/9473927194.png (broken link)

Why do we have seat belt laws? To prevent headlines like this.

The odds of survival in a crash like this would have gone from 0% to 80% had he been wearing a seat belt.

Quote:
The Houston police officer who died Wednesday after crashing his patrol unit hit speeds of 90 mph and was not wearing a seat belt as he attempted to catch up to a chase of a suspected car thief, HPD Chief Charles McClelland said.

Preliminary data retrieved from the black box, or data recorder, in the police unit driven by Officer Eydelmen Mani indicates the vehicle was traveling 60 mph when it hit a guardrail, the chief said.

“The preliminary information we do have is prior to the crash the car may have reached speeds of right around 90 mph, at impact it appears to be about 60 miles an hour,“ McClelland said.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:08 PM

369 posts, read 843,707 times
I got pulled over and was given a seat belt ticket even though I had mine on the whole time. The officer said I put it on after he pulled me over.
I took it to court and won because the officer didn't show up. Granted I had to go to the court house 2 times to deal with it. If you have the time to take off work then its worth fighting it. Chances are the officer won't show up for the court date.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:10 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
So my wife and I (and 2 year old) were on our way to Lupe Tortilla the other day. We were at a stop light, and a police officer walked over from the side walk, knocked on our window, and ultimately gave my wife (the passenger) a $150 ticket for not having her seat belt on.

Is there any way to get out of this ticket? She wears her seat belt 99% of the time, but was not wearing it that second because our daughter had started to fuss, so my wife had undone her seatbelt to reach back and hand her something only seconds before the red light. I have heard various things about setting court dates or trying to contest it, but have no experience with any of this, so any advice would be appreciated.

You'd think that with all the crime here in Houston there would be better uses for our officers, but it is what it is.
I got one as well. Contest it, you have a high chance of winning, most cops rarely come to court.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
You mean to tell me Big Brother is alive and well in TEXAS....what a shame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston