Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Okay, I hear ya about the other stuff, but where are you coming up with "big fat salaries"? Cops and letter carriers don't make SQUAT, IMHO.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
The fact that the US Postal Service has a legally enforced monopoly, and still manages to run in the red is a sign of epic incompetence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 AM

377 posts, read 1,345,751 times
If it’s not the violators, then it’s the next obvious : Expired registration/inspection. That is one thing the cop can easily read in that 2-3 seconds the car passes through their flashing lights between their motor cycles. Somewhere I read there are 7 out of 100 cars that are being driven with expired stickers. The HOV riders are no exception…and the COP can catch anyone for any reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm sorta curious to the answer myself. I assumed it was to catch non-compliant HOV drivers, but if you say they are pulling over people who clearly have 2+ occupants, then WTF are they doing?

I drive the SW Fwy every morning (regular lanes), and have seen them quite a bit lately. It not only slows down the HOV lanes, it causes a slowdown in the regular lanes. Rubberneckers.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You know the rules of the HOV lane. Get a friend, and use it. Simple.
Rules are not always correct and proper. Many times rules are made for the sole purpose of extorting money from us peasants. Your special lanes are highly discriminatory towards some groups. Isn't discrimination illegal as well as un-American?

What if I have no friends? What if no one is going my way? What if I don't like being with strangers who smell or talk too loud in the morning? I have plenty of friends. Good friends. Male friends and platonic female friends. But none go my way. And from the looks of the mere 5 or 6 cars in those HOV lanes, not many people have friends it seems. What a blatant wast of money building those big white Elephants for a tiny minority.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Isn't discrimination illegal as well as un-American?

Un-American? Come on, us Americans discriminate at every chance we get...

That doesn't make it right... but it is certainly not un-American!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:31 AM

73 posts, read 350,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Rules are not always correct and proper. Many times rules are made for the sole purpose of extorting money from us peasants. Your special lanes are highly discriminatory towards some groups. Isn't discrimination illegal as well as un-American?

What if I have no friends? What if no one is going my way? What if I don't like being with strangers who smell or talk too loud in the morning? I have plenty of friends. Good friends. Male friends and platonic female friends. But none go my way. And from the looks of the mere 5 or 6 cars in those HOV lanes, not many people have friends it seems. What a blatant wast of money building those big white Elephants for a tiny minority.
Yeah, its discriminatory...sure. And some people just like to --itch

Anyhow, the point of the lane since you seem to be grasping at straws and don't get the idea is for the reduction in resources (namely oil), emissions, and to reduce traffic on the roadways. Even if 5-6 is as high as you manage to be able to count, the thousands of cars that use the HOV lane daily amount to at least 2 or more cars if the lanes were not there for EACH one of those. That's a substantial reduction on all counts, not to mention, each of those carpooling typically save several days worth a week in gas and miles on their personal vehicle.

Those thousands of additional cars not on the road for you in the morning, reduce your commute, and save themselves money in the process. But if you think it's just 'the man' oppressing people then you can go about paying more for your commute, in longer lines, solo, without your friends and continue to -itch and moan about not being 'privileged' enough to car pool as if its someone else's fault. That is your right.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,520,415 times
Hey what about motorcycles, can't you drive one solo in the HOV lane? That might be the way to go since they seem to be allowed to drive in between cars when traffic is at a standstill too.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
"Okay guys, instead of actually focusing on getting the pedophiles off the street, we're going to try something new. You see the taxpayers have no faith in our ability to control crime and won't give us more money. We'll show them -- instead of cleaning up the streets and actually doing our job, we're going to pull (otherwise) law-abiding citizens over if their license plates are even close to expiring! And because it takes about 25 hours of their time to contest anything in our screwed up courts down town, they'll just give us the money... and we can hire MORE traffic cops to pull over More people-- it's brilliant!!"

If people actually thought the police department could use tax money effectively to fight crime (instead of spending it on bureaucracy, prison/jail amenities, and worthless projects) they'd have all the money they needed.
If it was only that simple to fit into your teabagger/very conservative view.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Maybe they are citing those who think HOV stands for "High On Vicodin"?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:15 AM

497 posts, read 1,485,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
The fact that the US Postal Service has a legally enforced monopoly, and still manages to run in the red is a sign of epic incompetence.
Add useless employees with bad attitudes. It's called GOVERNMENT - coming soon to your local hospital.

Desert Sun - you been out too long in the desert sun. Need to put your tin foil hat back on.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:42 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
Add useless employees with bad attitudes. It's called GOVERNMENT - coming soon to your local hospital.

Desert Sun - you been out too long in the desert sun. Need to put your tin foil hat back on.
Trust me when I tell you foil man. I know, you do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston