Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:08 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Houston, no doubt.

I'm not trying to become arrogant and shove Dallas off the radar but Houston is far superior in both Theater and Art, even in Music.

Houston Theater District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^ 2nd largest theater district in the country after NYC, and one of the top 5 best in the country.

Houston Museum District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^ Our museum district is arguable the best in Texas. So many different choices to choose from really.

Rothko Chapel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^ You'll find various elements of art there. It's one of the best in the country.

Please take advantage of Houston's Theater & Art scene. The Music scene is already doing great!
In my opinion, our Museum District isn't "arguably" the best in Texas. It IS the best in Texas. Remember, Dallas doesn't have a Museum District. It just has one giant arts district with some museums and some theaters/venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
In my opinion, our Museum District isn't "arguably" the best in Texas. It IS the best in Texas. Remember, Dallas doesn't have a Museum District. It just has one giant arts district with some museums and some theaters/venues.
Yeah lol, I was just trying to phrase it in better words for the few Dallas posters here who would probably have taken it offensively.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:41 PM

192 posts, read 504,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato head8 View Post
I'm a bit tired today, but here are a few independent art venues in Houston off the top of my head.

Diverseworks

Suchu Dance

Aurora Picture Show

Art League of Houston

Houston's art scene has a certain urban vibe to it, which may different from what Dallas has to offer. If I think of any more, I'll try to post them here.
Also,

FotoFest

Project Row Houses & El Dorado Ballroom

Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,029,743 times
Lived in Dallas & Houston.

Answer: Houston.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:38 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Even Ft Worth has a better Art scene than Dallas.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Even Ft Worth has a better Art scene than Dallas.
Didn't Dallasites have to go to Fort Worth's Art District before the nouveau Dallas Arts District suddenly popped up like a mushroom a few years ago?

Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
No. The Dallas Museum of Art, The Contemporary, The MAC, The Nasher Museum of Art, Latino Cultural and Arts center, The valley house and sculpture garden, The Meadows Museum at SMU, and Deep Ellum Arts District have been around Dallas for a lot longer than "a few years". Let's not be naive.

The only new arts district is the contemporary arts district on dragon street that was constructed in 2005.

I like The Dallas Museum of Art better than anything in Fort Worth because it's world class. It has art from many different continents on three floors and it has cutting-edge contemporary work on the first floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Didn't Dallasites have to go to Fort Worth's Art District before the nouveau Dallas Arts District suddenly popped up like a mushroom a few years ago?

Last edited by artsyguy; 05-23-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 03:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

YouTube - Dallas Museum of Art

Old 05-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato head8 View Post
I'm a bit tired today, but here are a few independent art venues in Houston off the top of my head.

Diverseworks

Suchu Dance

Aurora Picture Show

Art League of Houston

Houston's art scene has a certain urban vibe to it, which may different from what Dallas has to offer. If I think of any more, I'll try to post them here.

Also,

FotoFest

Project Row Houses & El Dorado Ballroom

Here's a more complete listing of non-profit artist organizations in Houston.

Spacetaker.org | Culture, when you want it.

Some familiar ones on the list (not already listed elsewhere):

Houston Metropolitan Dance
Theater Under The Stars
Opera in the Heights
Da Camera of Houston
Barnevelder Movement/Arts Complex (run by Suchu)
Lawndale Art Center

Old 05-23-2010, 03:42 PM

Obviously, I haven't listed major venues in the Houston Museum District or Houston Theater District, but in case you weren't already aware (since I believe the Dallasites are doing the same):

Houston Theater District: Alley Theater (http://www.alleytheatre.org/alley/Default_EN.asp - broken link), Hobby Center (http://www.thehobbycenter.org/hobbyprod/homedisplay.aspx - broken link), Jesse H. Jones Hall, Bayou Place, Wortham Theater (which house the Houston Symphony, Houston Grand Opera, Houston Ballet, and The Alley Theater Company)

Houston Museum District: The Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, Holocaust Museum of Houston, The Menil Collection, The Rothko Chapel, Children's Museum of Houston, Rice University Art Gallery, Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum, and about 10 other less familiar ones listed as "museum members."

Last edited by potato head8; 05-23-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston