U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 AM

612 posts, read 1,699,548 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, how's everyone doing?

I'll keep this brief since the previous threads I've made haven't had too much success when it came to visiting cities.

In a month me and a female friend will be visiting the Houston area for a few days (June 23rd-27th; maybe longer).

We'll be looking to stay near the beach. Yes, I know the beach is crazy during the summer but it's been six years since I've seen the beach and this is the only time to visit.

This isn't just a visit as well. We may be moving down there later this year so could some of you be willing to provide some good areas to visit for two singles in their mid-20s? We'll be looking for apartments as well as speaking with our respective companies in the area.

Aside from 'prospecting' the area, I would like to know some places to visit when it comes to:
-Sushi: Female friend loves sushi so I'm sure she'd be glad to eat at a nice sushi bar.
-Bars: Both in our 20s and would like to go to a good bar or barhop a couple of nights.
-Wine: Both wine enthusiasts so would like to know where we could get a good deal but also good wine?
-Areas to avoid: Don't want to run into any trouble

Ok, this wasn't that short so I'll stop there. I'll be glad to answer some questions. I'll be doing plenty of research as well.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

~JB
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 05:35 AM

3,702 posts, read 17,019,556 times
The Houston area is huge, so it would help if you filled us in on where your respective companies are located. Also include an average acceptable commute time, what your needs/preferences are in housing, and what your budget is.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 AM

10,171 posts, read 13,788,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Houston: Watch it before you knock it! Watch the first two videos at least!! The rest, it's optional!!

YouTube - One Day in Houston
^^ That one is a MUST see for everyone. By the way, I never knew we had a ferris wheel in downtown? Lol @ Yao Ming in the video.

YouTube - Get to Know Houston
^^ Keep in mind this one is 6 years old, a lot has changed since then, haha, thanks Oprah! LOL at the last 20 seconds..

YouTube - Houston Skyline

This is part of our Chinatown- it's connected:

YouTube - Chinatown Houston
Hong Kong Mall: Yes a whole mall with nothing but Chinese clothing stores, electronic stores, and jewelry stores.

YouTube - Hong Kong Mall 06

YouTube - Houston's New Chinatown
^^ Okay, so people have the wrong impression of Chinatown Houston, they think it looks like some strip mall, it's not, well it is, but that's only from the front, the back side looks like any other Chinatown. It's got a few different looks to it. The first video is Jade temple which is in the backside of the so called "strip mall chinatown" everyone else see's... and there are some stores back there too. But yes, it's nor really like some authentic and traditional chinatown like SF or NYC.
Also these videos are for the new Chinatown in Houston, I can't find any for the Old Chinatown in Houston that's located in downtown...

Our Vietnam Town:

YouTube - A day in Viet Nam town (Houston, Texas)

Texas Medical Center- Houston:

YouTube - Texas Medical Center

Reliant Stadium:

YouTube - MATTHEWS MEGASTRUCTURES: RELIANT PARK Trailer

This was on the news in India about new newly named "Mahatma Gandhi District in Houston":

YouTube - Mahatma Gandhi District in Houston

We have 4 new lines coming into our Rail Transit:

YouTube - METRO Solutions Light Rail Expansion Project Video

YouTube - Houston Light Rail Transit

Jazz is pretty big here (I am Lucky, because it's my favorite genre):

YouTube - Sax`Pack at Houston Jazz Festival

House of Blues- Downtown:

YouTube - Paul Potts at House of Blues Houston 7/7/9

YouTube - Snoop Dogg House of Blues Houston, TX

YouTube - Jay-Z at the house of blues houston
^^ Then again his wife Beyonce has a nice house in Sugar Land for when she comes to visit her family here in Houston.

Moody Gardens:

YouTube - Moody Gardens, Galveston, Texas

YouTube - Moody Gardens

Galveston the history of it:

YouTube - Galveston Storm of 1900

Galveston Island/Beach:

YouTube - Galveston Beach
Spring Break Footage: (I find the Miami music kind of distracting from Houston Metro!)

YouTube - Galveston Beach
Galveston Overview (If you want to see what Galveston looks like- watch the video):

YouTube - GALVESTON.COM: Galveston Island Tourism

Minute Maid Park (Houston Astros):

YouTube - MINUTE MAID PARK

Houston Dynamo Stadium (Under construction as of March 20th!!):

YouTube - Dynamo Stadium

YouTube - Houston Dynamo Stadium story on channel 39

Toyota Center:

YouTube - Toyota Center

Houston Astrodome (First domed stadium ever- Historical sports site now, still exists):

YouTube - Astrodome Scoreboard Goes Dark 09/06/1988

Kemah Boardwalk:

YouTube - Kemah Boardwalk: Have Fun on the Job!

YouTube - Kemah Boardwalk

YouTube - Kemah Boardwalk i Kemah Texas

Kemah Boardwalk Aquarium: (Just one segment of it, it's got more)

YouTube - Kemah Boardwalk Aquarium

Houston Water Wall & Transco Tower (Both former names):

YouTube - Water Wall - Houston, TX Near the Williams Tower, Uptown Galleria

YouTube - Water Wall Fountain-Houston
^^ As you can see, there's people of different culture literally everywhere...

Houston Zoo (Baby Giraffe born!!!):

YouTube - Masai Giraffe Born at the Houston Zoo - Jan. 30, 2009
Zoo in general:

YouTube - Coquerel's Sifaka newborn

YouTube - Have you heard a cheetah purr?

Rice University:

YouTube - Rice University: A Campus Tour

University of Houston:

YouTube - University of Houston - main campus - 01

The Galleria:

YouTube - Galleria Mall Houston by OFFICIALBESTOF.COM TV & TRAVEL

Houston Uptown:
(Fireworks)
YouTube - Thanksgiving Fireworks In Uptown Houston,Texas
(General)
YouTube - 23rd Annual 2008 Uptown Lighting in Houston Texas on Thanksgiving night

Houston Ship Channel:

YouTube - The Houston Ship Channel

San Jacinto Monument:

YouTube - San Jacinto Monument

Alright that's just for starters... I'm getting tired now, I'll put the other stuff later.
This will probably have most of the things you're looking for.

I recommend you try Sushi Hana or some Sushi places in Town Square of Sugar Land, they're pretty good. Like Japaneros.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
The Houston area is huge, so it would help if you filled us in on where your respective companies are located. Also include an average acceptable commute time, what your needs/preferences are in housing, and what your budget is.
We both work at Target. However, I'll be looking for something more in the management field whereas she will most likely still be a cashier so it won't be too hard to find a retail store. I'm not sure how the companies are out there so we'll try to hit up as many stores as we can to talk with HR reps and/or look at other jobs. We'll be hitting all over Houston and Galveston including some suburban cities. We've also decided to go down to Austin for a day to get a feel as well.

Budget, I'm not sure. We'll have a good amount saved up prior to moving. An average 2 bedroom apartment around here is roughly $800 in a nice area so we'll be looking towards that amount to start and get on our feet.

We may even consider getting a home for about $1,000 a month rent but I'm not sure if that's possible. There's been some great deals around here for houses in that price range. I obviously need to do more research on housing.

Can you suggest which areas to avoid, which areas are good and also fairly cheap to live in. Driving to and from work won't be too much of a problem. I'm used to driving one hour to work .

Schools aren't really important at the moment. I may go back to college in a couple of years though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
This will probably have most of the things you're looking for.

I recommend you try Sushi Hana or some Sushi places in Town Square of Sugar Land, they're pretty good. Like Japaneros.
Wow, thanks for all of that. Greatly appreciated. Can't wait to check 'em all out!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 AM

9,223 posts, read 14,505,934 times
Serious video overload.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM

10 posts, read 43,261 times
Places you have to go to in Galveston:

The Spot (Burgers) : Has the best patio in my opinion. Great burgers and fried pickles.

Sky Bar (Sushi) : Great sushi. My favorite is the Dragon Fly Roll.

Mosquito Cafe (Trendy American Food) : My favorite place on the island. Consistent good food and a Zucchini Spice cake. You HAVE to get the cake. I drive to Galveston just for this cake.

Bronco Burrito (Breakfast) : Expect a line every morning of everyday. It moves quickly and is totally worth it. My favorite is the Migas Burrito. Warning the salsa is very very hot.

Sunflower Bakery (Breakfast/Sandwich) : Great bakery with some really good food.

Gino's Italian Rest. : Best Italian rest. on the island (my opinion). Small little place with a great veal Marsala (I hear its good. I don't eat veal. Other stuff is all good)

Ihop (on the water): Its just an Ihop but if you get a table next to the windows you have a great view of the gulf.

Pho20 (Vietnamese) : Good Pho (not the best in Houston, but respectable)

Stay away from: Fish Tails, Rain Forest Cafe or anything that is generic tourist with generic tourist high priced food. (Unless you have kids then take them to Rain Forest Cafe and get them a Volcano)

Bars and Clubs: Yaga's is a great place and tends to always have people (pretty good food)

Chocolate/Candies: Just walk up and down the strand and there are some great places that dip their own caramel apples, make their own salt water taffy, etc. You really can not go wrong with any of them.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 AM

Also if your into trendy cool clothes go to Post Office street and there is a place called Habas and another place across the street that I cant remember the name.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM

105 posts, read 142,812 times
You might also go to the Kemah area. There is a place called Ichibon and if you go any weeknights from 5-7 they have happy hour on everything (sushi included). Probably not the best sushi ever, but it is decent and the price can't be beat. Also right down the street in Kemah is a wine bar that is pretty cool. There is also a target within about a mile....

Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsal29 View Post
You might also go to the Kemah area. There is a place called Ichibon and if you go any weeknights from 5-7 they have happy hour on everything (sushi included). Probably not the best sushi ever, but it is decent and the price can't be beat. Also right down the street in Kemah is a wine bar that is pretty cool. There is also a target within about a mile....
Nice. I'll inform the lady. Thanks

Kosher Thanks as well

Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 AM

I forgot about the Wine:

In Houston You Have To Have To go to Block 7 Wine Company (Block 7 Wine Company). It has a great wine selection, very cool ambiance, good prices and really really good food. You have to have the Bread Pudding a la mode (it is the best!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston