Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:12 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times

Advertisements

Suppose I had saved up a chunk of change and wanted to get involved with a private equity/venture capital/investment group... are there any clubs/groups in Houston that are open to outsiders without millions of dollars?

If so, how much would you need? I'm not talking about an equity group like KKR or Goldman, but maybe a group of people who want to pool funds and buy an apartment complex, a small chain of restaurants, land for development, a tree farm, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 06:03 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Suppose I had saved up a chunk of change and wanted to get involved with a private equity/venture capital/investment group... are there any clubs/groups in Houston that are open to outsiders without millions of dollars?

If so, how much would you need? I'm not talking about an equity group like KKR or Goldman, but maybe a group of people who want to pool funds and buy an apartment complex, a small chain of restaurants, land for development, a tree farm, etc...
I know there are ones like Amway, Vector, etc. They would love to have your $ .

Old 05-24-2010, 06:04 AM

460 posts, read 2,427,392 times
You might consider asking for suggestions from the Boglehead's forum

Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info

Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post

If you have venture capital (generally requires 30% return hurdle), then you better steer clear of apartments, restaurants, raw land and tree farms.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,458 times
I can see that ending 1000 ways badly, and possibly one way well.

Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,564 times
I know of a couple of hedge funds that are investing in commercial real estate - but they are not based in Houston. I'm not sure what their minimums are for investors - I don't have that kind of cash. But I'm looking into them to work as a broker.

They only do large deals (one has a $4 million minimum). They will buy most any type of income producing property and buy on current numbers - never a pro forma.

Personally a hedge fund would make me nervous - I want more control over my dollars, i.e., I don't trust someone else to "manage" them. Real estate is where all the big money is going right now and there are several ways to invest with minimal risk and excellent returns. PM me if you would like more info. I'm not selling anything. Well, I do sell notes but you would want to study for several months before you started buying them. :-)

Recommend you join this group - we meet regularly, are a non-profit, are very large, and have been around for 30 years: The Realty Investment Club of Houston

Old 05-24-2010, 10:05 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
What about Stocks?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 PM

I got out at 12800 around 3 years ago. The federal government is in chaos right now with significant new regulations coming out weekly - and I'm talking about real estate, IRS rules, financial 'reform' - many areas. These are not well thought out and are leading to serious market (I'm talking about the economy as a whole here) distortions and huge wealth transfers. Until things settle down and issues like cap and trade get finalized I would suggest that only professional traders should be in stocks. Normally, you could buy low and hold. I think the market now is both overpriced and vulnerable to a huge down draft.

With real estate at present you can take advantage of these wealth transfers with minimal risk. Stocks? Dangerous. The country is very divided politically and culturally and I don't see that improving for some time. That makes for a very difficult business environment. Another reason to have something tangible like property backing up your investments.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
If you have venture capital (generally requires 30% return hurdle), then you better steer clear of apartments, restaurants, raw land and tree farms.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
I agree regarding the restaurants and raw land. Tree farms and apartments that are both very large and can be purchased at a price that can be easily supported by current cash flow can be viable - with professional management. A tremendous wave of commercial foreclosures is just starting up. There will be more bargains available than buyers. Now is one of the best times ever to have cash - combined with knowledge.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:16 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Any Stocks investments club?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston