Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 11:05 AM

61 posts, read 272,244 times

Advertisements

We are driving to Orlando,Disneyworld this summer. I am trying to plan my trip. We do not want to make a straight drive and want to split going there and coming back into 2 seperate trips.

Anyone got any advice on what best route and stop overs to take. I was told Pensecola or Destin Fl!

Any helpful info would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 11:40 AM

73 posts, read 349,884 times
10 West to 75 South to I-4 East...

Mobile/Pensacola and just a tad east all sound about right for a midpoint give or take an hour one way or another

Old 05-29-2010, 03:46 PM

31 posts, read 127,880 times
We did this last summer and stopped for two days in Pensacola. I liked that part of the trip much better than Disney. It was beautiful there.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:51 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,305,931 times
I can second the above.. my wife and I drove from NC down here to Houston just a few weeks ago and stopped in Pensacola for 3 or 4 days -- much better than stopping in Alabama. While the beaches are about the same (BEAUTIFUL white sugar sand), Pensacola has the Naval Air Museum, which was AMAZING!

They have dozens of planes that the navy has used over the decades -- fighters, helicopters, big, and small. They have free tours and fighter jets you can climb in and sit inside the cockpit. I don't know how old the family is, but it's a great place to spend an entire day. It's also free!

Also, if you're there on a Tuesday or Wednesday (you'll want to double check those days) you can see the Blue Angels perform there (it's also free!). They have a bunch of grandstands that seat over 800 people, and 2 days a week they do their shows there, it's absolutely amazing -- you have front row access to an aerial stunt show like you've never seen before.

The only other place I think you'd want to consider would be New Orleans, but not if you're kids are too young (obviously), and it's still quite a drive from New Orleans to Orlando -- you'll probably want to find more of a real halfway point. Definitely Pensacola.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:57 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,305,931 times
One more thing -- if you want a different place to stop on the way back, I'd hit Mobile.

I didn't go to the beaches there, but we stopped by at the USS Alabama exhibit and really enjoyed it. It's a WW2 Battleship that has been retired -- it's all open for tourists. You can go inside the top 2 or 3 floors, and see where everyone lived and did their things. They have it set up as if it were in working order, with the mess hall, the kitchen, the carpenter room, the laundry mat, the barber, etc, etc. It was like touring a house.... on a boat... with giant guns!

They also have some planes, tanks, and a submarine in the same harbor that you can tour, which was a little claustrophobic, but still neat. I don't think you could spend all day there like you could the Pensacola museum, but that's probably just because it's more outside, which is too hot to spend more than a few hours. Worth stopping by though if you have the time.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:13 PM

73 posts, read 349,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chh2 View Post
10 West to 75 South to I-4 East...

Mobile/Pensacola and just a tad east all sound about right for a midpoint give or take an hour one way or another
Oops, I meant, 10 EAST (not west) to 75 South to I-4 East...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: