Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Houston in East Texas?
Yes 38 27.34%
No 72 51.80%
Umm...yeah, kinda 25 17.99%
Not sure 2 1.44%
Other 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:05 AM

659 posts, read 1,378,263 times

Advertisements

It's in Southeast Texas. I thought that was a settled fact. Lived here long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,426,689 times
I think it depends on where you live in Houston as to the cultural "identity". I grew up in two parts of Houston: Fleetwood (the far west/Memorial side) and Kingwood (the far northeast/piney side). I would definitely relate Kingwood to a more East Texas feel. Fleetwood was more prairie-like (at the time) and didn't have that feel.

I do believe Houston is part of the whole Texan/Cajun/Creole cultural thing. I say this because San Antonio has NONE of that, and I never really realized what an influence Louisiana has on SE and E TX. I love that about Houston!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,858,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I think it depends on where you live in Houston as to the cultural "identity". I grew up in two parts of Houston: Fleetwood (the far west/Memorial side) and Kingwood (the far northeast/piney side). I would definitely relate Kingwood to a more East Texas feel. Fleetwood was more prairie-like (at the time) and didn't have that feel.

I do believe Houston is part of the whole Texan/Cajun/Creole cultural thing. I say this because San Antonio has NONE of that, and I never really realized what an influence Louisiana has on SE and E TX. I love that about Houston!
thank you! yes, san antonio and houston are culturally very very different, and would be even if they weren't big cities

Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,248,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
It's in Southeast Texas. I thought that was a settled fact. Lived here long?
This.

Houston is in Southeast Texas. I'm a native Texan (4th gen), and East Texas is the Piney Woods and surroundings.

We are SE Texas. This is not really debatable.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,728,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
there are parts of the southeast that were historically german

houston and the golden triangle region are far more culturally southern than other coastal bend cities like brownsville or corpus. in fact, houston is more southern than pretty much all points west in the state.

but the point is, houston has to be classified in a region, and it certainly isn't south texas or central texas

and let's not forget that there used to be barely any mexicans in houston

Who says a state has to be culturally monolithic? Florida? California?

Houston is classified as its own region, which is a crossroads from all the surrounding regions, Mexico and the entire world for that matter. The same could be said of ALL the large cities in the "Texas Triangle."-- they form their own regions within other larger ones.

I suppose we can tell you what you want to hear, if that's what you're looking for. Some people believe if you assertively say things over and over again, and with force, it becomes true.

Really these things are a matter of opinion and no matter what anyone says, someone will always have a rebuttal. Same goes for is Texas South, Southwest, none or both?

Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,811,191 times
It's definitely not a part of Mexico! East Texas it is.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This.

Houston is in Southeast Texas. I'm a native Texan (4th gen), and East Texas is the Piney Woods and surroundings.

We are SE Texas. This is not really debatable.
Southeast Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

southeast texas is a subregion of east texas. just like northeast texas (texarkana, gilmer, daingerfield, tyler)

Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,811,191 times
I still think it's E.T.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Who says a state has to be culturally monolithic? Florida? California?
not me. i'm talking about regions

Quote:
Houston is classified as its own region, which is a crossroads from all the surrounding regions, Mexico and the entire world for that matter. The same could be said of ALL the large cities in the "Texas Triangle."-- they form their own regions within other larger ones.
well every major city is in a way classified as its own region and serves as a crossroads of some point, but it is still part of a larger region that it shares with smaller cities and towns

Quote:
I suppose we can tell you what you want to hear, if that's what you're looking for. Some people believe if you assertively say things over and over again, and with force, it becomes true.
oh, that's mature. i disagree with the popular opinion so i must be desperate for others to agree with me

Quote:
Really these things are a matter of opinion and no matter what anyone says, someone will always have a rebuttal. Same goes for is Texas South, Southwest, none or both?
well is that not the point of many threads on these forums? i'm looking for discussion on this particular subject. not for everybody to say "hey, algreen is right".

Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,183,706 times
East Texas is, by and larged, defined with forestation. There is none in Houston, it basically stops around the edge of Montgomery County.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston