Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:20 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times

Advertisements

The renderings have been released for the proposed Baseball field and Hotel to be built in Huntington near Marshall's campus. Quite spectacular. They are having a press conference to announce new funding source so I will post that when available. In the mean time, here are some of the renderings:

Gallery: Renderings of RiverPlace project - The Herald Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 03:34 PM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
The hotel is fine, but that ballpark needs some more thinking!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:27 PM

I think the Ball Park looks great, especially when compared to your average ball park. The styling very much goes along with the hotel so I'm not sure how you can like the look of the one but not the other. This will all be a great addition to Huntington and a big boost for Marshall baseball if/when it happens.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM

Seems that they've decided to try a different form of financing as they ran out of time on the government bonds. They are now "seeking tax-exempt and taxable bonds and are counting on private individuals to purchase them. We've identified several folks interested in financing this project. We feel confident it will happen,' said Brad Burgess, a Lexington-based developer."

This development would definately be great for Huntington so I sure hope he's right.

Here are some other interesting details that were released today:

"Phase one of the project includes a hotel conference center, restaurant and baseball stadium. The developers say the restaurant will be called "Victoria's Station" patterned off an old name with a new concept. Half the restaurant will be a sports bar and the other half will feature fine dining. The developers are in talks with two major hotel chains that have indicated interest in running the select service 109-room hotel. Plans for the conference center include 8300 square feet and will accommodate 600 people.

Plans for the baseball stadium include seating for 2500. The stadium would be made available to Marshall University for the school's baseball team. It would also be home to a collegiate wooden bat league where high school and college players could play in front of major league scouts during the summer months."

River Place Huntington Development Moving Forward

Old 12-22-2010, 08:55 AM

180 posts, read 352,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
said Brad Burgess, a Lexington-based developer."[/i]
I thought that field looked familiar. It resembles the Lexington Legends field. I lived in Lex for eight years. Went to many games there.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
I don't like the color green they picked for the seats, and the box cars are kinda bland!

The cover over the press box is cool, and the enterance too!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:09 PM

The green is to match the color for Marshall, which is Kelley Green, since the field is intended to be a home for the MU baseball team.

The rail cars are supposed to speak of Huntington's rail history but were also inspired by something similar from another project.

I like what I'm seeing so far.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:18 PM

Here's the full article from the Herald-Dispatch:

No financing set for RiverPlace proposal - The Herald Dispatch

There's a rumor right now that one of the more prominent people in town, who also owns a hotel, is trying to use his connections in Huntington to limit support from the city and university. Let's hope it's not true.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:08 AM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
It looks like an attempt at the Sydney Opera House from that one angle.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:32 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
I don't see the resemblance to the former Applebee's Park in Lexington. The ballpark in Lexington took most of its design cues from the famous horse farms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
View detailed profiles of: