Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 02:30 PM

530 posts, read 589,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71
The University, along with the City, County and State should be looking into installing more pedestrian bridges and enforcing the speed limit and ticketing for jaywalking to reduce the danger to both drivers and pedestrians

I would love to see more pedestrian bridges constructed, as they are unquestionably the safest means for crossing these very busy roadways and they can be designed such that they are architecturally and aesthetically-pleasing and can add lots of character to campus, and in the case of the Hal Greer Pedestrian Bridge, could serve as a fantastic gateway to the city. However, I have been very disappointed in the inability of the city to construct the Hal Greer Pedestrian Bridge, which is a project that was reportedly "fully funded" with millions of dollars MORE THAN 2 YEARS AGO and to this day, nothing has happened, in spite of numerous accidents and even pedestrian deaths on that dangerous stretch of road. The worst part is, that no one has bothered to give a GOOD explanation as to why the project has completely stalled. Given this, I have little faith that additional pedestrian bridges would actually be constructed (at least not in a timely manner).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 02:43 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post

However, I have been very disappointed in the inability of the city to construct the Hal Greer Pedestrian Bridge, which is a project that was reportedly "fully funded" with millions of dollars MORE THAN 2 YEARS AGO and to this day, nothing has happened, in spite of numerous accidents and even pedestrian deaths on that dangerous stretch of road. The worst part is, that no one has bothered to give a GOOD explanation as to why the project has completely stalled. Given this, I have little faith that additional pedestrian bridges would actually be constructed (at least not in a timely manner).
I think that the Hal Greer pedestrian bridge is a PATH project. I believe that they decided to use those funds for other PATH projects instead. I will say that I absolutely hate how they do that (by 'they," I mean any entity that prematurely reveals a project). They show us renderings or make big talk in the media, which gets everyone excited. Then a year or two later, they say that they are not going to do it or that they won't make it nearly as nice as originally promised. That is what makes people in the area so cynical and pessimistic. It appears that no one comes through with their promises or there is some group hell-bent on preventing progress.

Anyway, I think that this may be moving a little away from the forum topic, so I will refrain.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:45 PM

Hey so the lease on the building that Husson's is located in is up sometime this year. Does anyone think that we will hear any news from Marshall concerning the development of the new mixed-use property on that lot OR might that be moved back a little due to recent events?

Old 04-14-2015, 07:10 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,955,150 times
When I mentioned continued growth, I didn't mean solely new buildings and degrees. To me, growth HAS to be multifaceted or or does not work to full potential. Marshall has added some nice buildings and degree programs over the last few years, now it's time to focus on improving what is currently on campus and increasing enrollment by offering higher quality. I think future projects will have to look for more creative funding the way they did with the freshman dorms, softball field and rec center. Hopefully future athletic improvements can follow the example of the practice facility and come to fruition WITHOUT A DIME of state money. Hopefully the city can take the lead working with a developer on the baseball field. The plans are already there, just have to get all of the pieces of the puzzle in place.

Since part of the purpose of the pedestrian bridge is to connect the JCESOM with the Byrd Center for students, I'd say it fits here too. They actually did give a reason for the delay about a year and a half ago but not much since. Here's the quote:

Quote:
The bridge itself is estimated to cost approximately $3 million, or roughly $750,000 more than has been secured for it, while the trail from the bridge to Ritter Park would cost another $700,000.

The Nick J. Rahall Transportation Institute and the City of Huntington received a $1.8 million federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) grant along with a $450,000 contribution from the Cabell Huntington Hospital Foundation for the bridge last year. They also obtained a second CMAQ grant and local matching funds totaling $1.13 million to cover the cost of trails, the Ritter Park connector among them.

Officials thought the grants and matching funds would be enough to pay for the project, but the bridge’s design phase revealed the project would cost more than the money on hand, said Bob Plymale, a state senator from Wayne County and executive director of the Rahall Transportation Institute. Officials also had to use some of the CMAQ grant funds for trails to complete the first phase of PATH, Plymale said.
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...ll-PATH-bridge

Old 04-26-2015, 07:59 AM

4,958 posts, read 8,955,150 times
A baseball park is on the bucket list for Marshall University - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV

Old 04-27-2015, 10:56 AM

632 posts, read 832,882 times
They bring up a good point about bringing in a minor league team as well. It ridiculous that a city the size of Huntington doesn't have a pro sports team of any kind. You can argue that we've had our chances (Blizzard, Heroes, etc) but if Beckley and Bluefield can support minor league baseball teams then Huntington certainly should be able to

Old 04-27-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
They bring up a good point about bringing in a minor league team as well. It ridiculous that a city the size of Huntington doesn't have a pro sports team of any kind. You can argue that we've had our chances (Blizzard, Heroes, etc) but if Beckley and Bluefield can support minor league baseball teams then Huntington certainly should be able to
I think that somewhere along the line, there was a combination of bad marketing and cynical citizens in Huntington. Lots of people (more then than now) just refused to believe that something like that would work. So they had the mentality, "why waste our time?" I think with the influx of millennials, that kind of thought will be mostly out-shadowed.

Also, people in Huntington really support anything involving the University. For example, another minor league Hockey team may not work alone. If Marshall had a D-I team, a minor league team could use the momentum brought on from the university to bring a solid fan base.

Just some thoughts...

Old 04-27-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I think that somewhere along the line, there was a combination of bad marketing and cynical citizens in Huntington. Lots of people (more then than now) just refused to believe that something like that would work. So they had the mentality, "why waste our time?" I think with the influx of millennials, that kind of thought will be mostly out-shadowed.

Also, people in Huntington really support anything involving the University. For example, another minor league Hockey team may not work alone. If Marshall had a D-I team, a minor league team could use the momentum brought on from the university to bring a solid fan base.

Just some thoughts...

I think that's the same reasoning Morgantown is using right now by building the new baseball park and bringing in a minor league team as well. Hope Huntington can finally get it done. I love coming home now because of how much changes every time compared to a couple years ago

Old 04-27-2015, 03:27 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
I think that's the same reasoning Morgantown is using right now by building the new baseball park and bringing in a minor league team as well. Hope Huntington can finally get it done. I love coming home now because of how much changes every time compared to a couple years ago
For a minor league team location, you need a financial backer who will invest in putting one there and a major league team that needs to have a minor affiliate. Generally, that means taking a team that is leaving another city due to flagging support, and having that team's owner believe he can cover the investment. Minor league baseball is entertainment, and there is competition for the entertainment dollar. Charleston gets good support for their minor league franchise, and that is magnified because that is one of the best entertainment options in that market. I have a hunch it would work well there in Huntington too.

My supposition would be that most of the money for such an endeavor would have to come from Huntington and Cabell County. Marshall certainly doesn't have any to spare for it, but they could rent space there once it is built, similar to what we did here in Morgantown. The city and county need to come up with the numbers and see if they can get it to feasibly work in terms of reasonable income projections. Arranging something like this is no easy matter. All the items have to align perfectly for it to happen, or some entity is going to have something on their hands they can't pay for. From what I can tell, there aren't a lot of surpluses hanging around in that neighborhood to cover shortcomings.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
For a minor league team location, you need a financial backer who will invest in putting one there and a major league team that needs to have a minor affiliate. Generally, that means taking a team that is leaving another city due to flagging support, and having that team's owner believe he can cover the investment. Minor league baseball is entertainment, and there is competition for the entertainment dollar. Charleston gets good support for their minor league franchise, and that is magnified because that is one of the best entertainment options in that market. I have a hunch it would work well there in Huntington too.

My supposition would be that most of the money for such an endeavor would have to come from Huntington and Cabell County. Marshall certainly doesn't have any to spare for it, but they could rent space there once it is built, similar to what we did here in Morgantown. The city and county need to come up with the numbers and see if they can get it to feasibly work in terms of reasonable income projections. Arranging something like this is no easy matter. All the items have to align perfectly for it to happen, or some entity is going to have something on their hands they can't pay for. From what I can tell, there aren't a lot of surpluses hanging around in that neighborhood to cover shortcomings.

I know people have their opinions about him but for a local guy to get involved with a minor league team in Huntington, one of the better options would probably be Marshall Reynolds. This would save the city a lot of money by staying out of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington