Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times

Advertisements

Hi Mountaineers! We will be driving through West Virginia next week and was looking for a route that would offer a chance to see some of the small towns, beautiful vistas and twisty roads that your state has to offer. We tend to avoid the freeways as much as possible and are content to putt along in a general direction of where we are headed.

I thought we might head up on I77 of Charleston and pick up Hwy 19 to head south to pick up Highland Scenic Highway. Had heard about Summersville's reputation as a speed trap and thought I would avoid that by picking up 55 a bit North and driving through Calvin heading SE towards Richwood.

I'm thinking we would then pick up the Scenica Trail (219) and head North but I am unsure where a good point would be to turn East again. Perhaps US 33 outside of Elkins or if we are running out of time maybe 250 at Huttonsville.

Had considered driving up along the Ohio River to Point Pleasant from Huntington, but seems as if there does not appear to be easy route Eastward from that location.

Any suggestions for a place to grab something to eat, a better route, a place to stop and stretch our legs, or a spot that we could enjoy an adult beverage?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
You could take Rt 35 from Pt Pleasant to St. Albans. Along the way you can see Mt. Vernon. You completely left off the idea of driving US 60 East to Virginia. That definitely fits the definition of a twisty road. This would also allow to to stop and visit the world famous Mystery Hole. Are you looking for a cloth napkin restaurant or a Dive that serves cold beer?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You could take Rt 35 from Pt Pleasant to St. Albans. Along the way you can see Mt. Vernon. You completely left off the idea of driving US 60 East to Virginia. That definitely fits the definition of a twisty road. This would also allow to to stop and visit the world famous Mystery Hole. Are you looking for a cloth napkin restaurant or a Dive that serves cold beer?
Looks intriguing and maybe even a bit quicker but we were hoping to stay off the freeways. It appears that 60 only leaves the interstate for a relatively short (Cabin Creek to Meadow Bluff?) period unless I'm missing something. We are starting the day off in Cincinnati and had intended to follow the Ohio to Huntington.

We'd be comfortable in either extreme for the bar/restaurant choices. Something with a patio/deck/outside seating and a view usually fits the bill.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:03 PM

US 60 only shares the pavement with I-64 for a few miles at the east end of Charleston to Malden.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Looks intriguing and maybe even a bit quicker but we were hoping to stay off the freeways. It appears that 60 only leaves the interstate for a relatively short (Cabin Creek to Meadow Bluff?) period unless I'm missing something. We are starting the day off in Cincinnati and had intended to follow the Ohio to Huntington.

We'd be comfortable in either extreme for the bar/restaurant choices. Something with a patio/deck/outside seating and a view usually fits the bill.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Welcome Ghengis, i believe i've seen you post on some of the other forums here at city-data. Maybe it was the Science & Tech board?

I would highly recommend driving route 60 past Montgomery and into Anstead, it's one of the best drives in the state for sure. Lot's of vistas, twists and turns, and a few cool places to stop, grab some brews or chow and kick back. If you have time, stop by Fayetteville, it's a really neat town. They have some great unique restaraunts like Pie's and Pints, Cathedral Cafe and Smokey's on the Gorge.

Will you be looking for lodging, or did i miss that part in your previous post?

I hope you have a great visit through our region. Come back and post some pics or stories later, like to hear feedback from tourists.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
I too suggest following Route 60 to see some of the small towns etc along the way. To see some of them, you may have to turn off of the road a bit but if you have a GPS or do some planning ahead it shouldn't cause you much trouble. Driving Route 60 will take you by Kanawha Falls and Hawks nest too.

When driving through Huntington, Route 60 will take you right by downtown via 5th Ave. If you are looking for a neat place to eat, Jim's Steak and Spaghetti might interest you. It was started in the 1930s and hasn't changed much since. Make sure to bring cash with you though because they still don't take credit cards. Downtown, there is also Tahona Grille, Huntington Prime, Marshall Hall of Fame Cafe (has a small "museum" for the We are Marshall movie), Third and Ninth Deli and Jewel City Seafood (farther down on 4th Ave) if you are looking for a more local fair. There are also other various chain restaurants as well like Max and Erma's, Red Lobster, Appleby's, etc.

If you stop in Huntington, I would suggest turning down 9th street from 5th Ave, finding a place to park and then walking around a little. Be sure to check out Heritage Station as well since this is where our convention and visitors bureau is along with several specialty shops like a bakery and a specialty beer and cheese shop. Heritage Station is just a block over from Pullman Square and an easy walk.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other specific questions about Huntington.

Tim

Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Thanks all for the tips on 60 and we will be heading that way, will try to capture some pictures and hopefully post something that you will like and maybe even haven't seen. It appears that Huntington is just a bit over 3 hours from Cincinnati so may be too early for lunch when we pass through, so we may be looking a bit further along for lunch.

Although we had considered spending the night in Harpers Ferry, our schedule didn't allow it and we'll have to be content with a day of taking in the drive instead as we stay the evening in Shenandoah NP. I have been in West Virginia before and while I'm not sure of the exact route, I was following the East side of the Ohio up North on my way to drive through Piedmont where a buddy in the Navy was from. Just wanted to tell him I'd been through his town. Say hi to Jim McG for me if you know him.

I don't quite know how to relate what I felt as I made that drive, but it was a real strange feeling I had especially along the river but really throughout the state. Not so much to do with the beautiful scenery but it seemed to be more related to time or maybe better said as "timelessness", hard to explain but seemed ancient in some way not necessarily related to people or their endeavors, much more so a natural sensation then anything I've felt before or since and I've been to every state but Alaska in my driving travels. Kinda weird in a nice way.

How does the idea of heading North on the Seneca Trail (219) at Lewisburg sound vs. staying on 60 all the way to Lexington VA? Just wondering if the topography that way will offer a different sampling of what we will be seeing along 60

Any particularly "scarey" spots along 60? My wife is a bit squeamish with some of the routes that I seek out, and spent the drive up to the top of Mt Washington in NH curled up on the floor for the most part. No worries, that's what the visor is for right?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 AM

You might want to stop and offer to help her into the back seat while you drive over Gauley Mountain, but promise to stop and let her out to see the view at Hawks Nest. Nearby is The Mystery Hole

If you change routes at Lewisburg, you should take a few minutes to drive to White Sulfur Springs and see The Greenbrier.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,507 times
There's a restaurant/cafe at Chimney Corner between Charleston and Hawk's Nest. Hawk's Nest restaurant has a beautiful view. We have several good restaurants in Lewisburg. If you take 219 N from Lewisburg you will have a beautiful mountain drive. Rt 60 is pretty tame and more rolling country.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:06 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,583 times
I think you're going to find that a day just isn't enough if you concentrate on non-Interstates. If your schedule allows, I'd plan to go as far as Hawks Nest State Park the first day, stay in the lodge at the park, then on the 2nd day, see the New River Gorge before heading north on 19 to Summersville. From Summersville, take WV-39 (the Scenic Highway) east through Richwood to Hillsboro/Mill Point, where you'll join US-219.

From there, depending on time, you can head south on 219 to Lewisburg, or north on 219 to Marlinton (and perhaps Elkins). Going north, you can head east again on either 39, US-250, or US-33, depending on your schedule.

In any case, it's a beautiful drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington