Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 AM

45 posts, read 75,032 times

Advertisements

I will say one thing. It is a crying shame that HADCO could not locate one developer to build a mid rise office / research building. It is such a premium location and not one developer (or the banks will not lend money for it) will give it a shot. Another new hotel can build in the area where Northcott hall is soon to be cleared on 16th street and could really enhance that area. The other sad thing is the development on these hotels will prevent any name HOTEL from being built in the downtown area. I can only hope a "FOUR POINTS" by Sheraton or other Name brand hotel is built there where everyone will see it as they drive by on the interstate. if a Days Inn or Super 8 were to go there my blood would boil every time I come into town. Hopefully this is being considered by the city Mayor and with the developer.

What a GREAT location for an office or medical building. I just don't get it. When Kinetic Park is full where else will we locate available new flat land? Will the City level another hill?

It is troubling as to why no new buildings are being built, but by Marshall, in the core area of the city. Redevelopment is wonderful and Huntington is a showplace for this, but no businesses will step up on new structures. Even the federal government would not build a new building (and for around 45 million they could have done so) instead they remodel too.

Remember the hotels are doing so well an out of town developer is thinking of a third one. I always heard that the owner of the Pullman Plaza, did not think that Huntington could support any more a few years ago....hummmm . I bet when a new office structure is built it will be out of town money again, and the profits will go....right out of the area too. I love my home town and I am excited for each positive thing going on but the city needs more companies to move into town and some want modern space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 03:35 PM

530 posts, read 585,226 times
Any word on what is going to be built on the land at the corner of 5th Ave/25th St. (up from the Veteran's Memorial Soccer Complex towards Marshall campus)? I was by there today and it looks like they are moving a lot of dirt and foundation work.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:23 PM

4,934 posts, read 8,881,587 times
rlb4htown, I would like to see other development at a Kinetic Park but if you look at the hotels already there, they seem to stay packed. I think they do a much better job of grabbing people just driving by as opposed to taking many people from the downtown hotels. I absolutely think that downtown could use another hotel, especially one with a nice conference center. And it wasn't that the owner of the Pullman Plaza didn't think downtown could support another hotel, from what I heard, he just didn't want the competition.

With regards to new buildings downtown, I think everyone is always hesitant to be the first. Once someone does it and is successful, I think others will follow. Marshall is supposed to build a new mixed use building on the corner of Hal Greer and 4th Ave and who knows, that just might be the catalyst we need.

On the corner of 5th Ave and 25th St is supposed to be the new Cook Out restaurant. They moved the dirt a couple of weeks back but seem to have kind of slowed down since then. I've not seen anything official on that yet but that's just what I've heard.

I also noticed today that they are working in the lot on 5th Ave near 20th St right across from Steak Escape. They have excavators there and seem to be prepping a foundation. I'm pretty sure Marshall owns that property but I haven't heard anything about a new building there yet.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,126,503 times
The lot across from Steak Escape on 5th Avenue you mentioned sounds like a good spot for a storage building for either the athletic department or even the marching band.

As for any new downtown hotels, it would be nice to see the Pullman Plaza renovated and made modern but I always thought the land where Mack and Daves sits would be a good place for a hotel or a stand alone convention center. It would be an improvement over M&D's in my eyes. Better yet, could be ideal for a mix use building of retail on the first floor and condos on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 AM

They keep talking about major renovations to Pullman Plaza but nothing has materialized yet. The Mack and Dave's spot would be a wonderful place for a mixed use building. I'd imagine the current owners would want to much to make that happen though.

In other news, it appears Planet Fitness will be joining Ulta in the former Linens N Things building at the mall.

Huntington Mall to welcome two new businesses this year | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 06-12-2014, 06:51 PM

According to the Downtown Huntington FB Page, Marshall is apparently trying to get an Apple Store in the VAC. That would be huge!

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...9897&source=46

Here's a nice article about The Peddler as well.

The Peddler offers gourmet burgers downtown | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 06-12-2014, 07:50 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,405,412 times
Thanks, Tim!

I'm certainly not an Apple devotee to say the least, but that would be a HUGE addition there.

And I can't wait to eat at the Peddler! I really hope the brewpub plan happens. Huntington needs it's own brand, so to speak, and I have no doubt it would flourish here!

Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 PM

24 posts, read 45,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
According to the Downtown Huntington FB Page, Marshall is apparently trying to get an Apple Store in the VAC. That would be huge!

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...9897&source=46

Here's a nice article about The Peddler as well.

The Peddler offers gourmet burgers downtown | The Herald-Dispatch

Getting an Apple store would be outstanding. I despise not having one here since all of my computer products are Apple.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,051,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yngrshr View Post
Getting an Apple store would be outstanding. I despise not having one here since all of my computer products are Apple.
Same here, we have all Apple products at our home as well, and going to Columbus for face to face interaction with a rep is very inconvenient. I really hope this happens!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:00 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,051,770 times
The Peddler sounds like my kind of place, lol. Even though the wife doesn't eat burgers (i know, so un-American) maybe i can talk her into eating there this weekend. I don't think i'd try the Beef Tartare though, maybe the California burger with Duck Fat Fries.

I hope it does well and they are able to expand into a micro brewery upstairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington