U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:51 PM

16 posts, read 58,549 times

Advertisements

My husband may take a transfer to Huntington WV. Can anyone tell me the names of the builders who are building in new developments in Huntington or within a half-hour commute of there?
Thanks.
Karen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 05:52 PM

64 posts, read 304,555 times
Karen, there isn't a lot of land available for building in Huntington. What are you interested in? Country living? Cookie cutter subdivisions? Across the river in Ohio has some new home construction and most home constuction would be east of town continuing into Putnam County.I'll try to help if you can give me more specifics.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:43 AM

74 posts, read 349,635 times
My advice would be to contact a local real estate agent; they should be able to give you more specifics. There are a lot of new subdivisions in the area, and a couple within Huntington's city limits that they just recently stated selling lots for. There are also plenty in the Hurricane/Teays Valley area (about a 20-30 minute dirve to Huntington, depending on traffic). You shouldn't have trouble finding a place to live!

Old 09-28-2007, 05:36 PM

We were looking at some lots in Milton online today. Can you tell me which communities in Ohio (within commuting distance to Huntington) have new homes? We actually live in Ohio now (but in the Dayton area). Around here, when a development goes in, certain builders have the exclusive rights to build in that development. Usually there are at least 3 builders, so houses look different from one another.
I'll be going to Huntington with him in October. We'd just like to have some areas in mind. I guess I would like to know how one gets a builder, too. Without model homes, this seems like a difficult task. When we built this home, we walked through the model and had a sales rep to talk to.
Karen

Old 09-29-2007, 04:36 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,403,129 times
Builders in West Virginia range from excellent to very poor. Some of the biggest volume builders are the poorest quality builders. Slap it together, sloppy construction, add a shiny kitchen and a coat of paint and hand it to a realtor because they couldn't sell it themselves.
If I was going to build a new home in West Virginia, I would drive through a sub-division I liked and talk to the neighbors. They will be only too happy to tell you who to avoid and who to use.
New homes (by law) carry a 1 year guarantee...if the builder is reputable, he will have fixed any repairs in a timely manner, they will tell you about the repairs...If they were done to the satisfaction of the owner..I would give him a call...this indicator is a clue to the service and quality of the builder.
A retired friend was a great builder here....when he sold a home, he would schedule a time about 90 days into the future to do repairs and touch-ups. On that date, a Monday, a crew of workmen would show up and he would tell the wife this, "These men are yours for the week...use them to do anything..move furniture, paint, adjust doors, remove scratches, repair any leaks and they are going to inspect this home from the shingles on the roof to the bottom of the basement." He never had any problems. His homes were high-end and he gave high-end service. He was also named West Virginia 'Builder of the Year....He's retired to Lake Norman now and not available.

When I talked to a builder, I would ask him if he belonged to any of the home builder associations. I would also contact the Secretary of States office in Charleston just to see if any complaints existed. If the guy was a scam artist, I wouldn't be trusting him with 3 or 4 hundred thousand dollars of my money.
Local clubs...Rotary, Elks, Lions, PTA...Little League and churches are networks who can
also give leads to builders.
*Your bank loan officer might give a recomendation as they give out money draws to home builders. Their qualification system is tough and their recomendation would be an indicator of the builders finiancial responsiblilty..
Most realtors service some builders, but when the builder can free himself from the stiff commission and sell his goods himself, he will set up his own office and do that.
The Better Business Bureau or local Chamber of Commerce should have a list of builders who subscribe to their groups, but they will not tell you if a builder is reputable or not.

I'm not getting down on builders because for over ten years we built homes in north central WV...health reasons caused me to close that company. We did not overextend and never built more than two or three at any one time. It was a system of control and service to the customer. We were never sued either.
What you are planning carries some risk. You can prevent most of it by planning properly and carefully. Don't be in a great hurry...rent for a year...Search everything out, find a good builder and sign a contract that protects you and gives a reasonable ( 6 months or less) completion date.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:13 AM

74 posts, read 349,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen214 View Post
We were looking at some lots in Milton online today. Can you tell me which communities in Ohio (within commuting distance to Huntington) have new homes? We actually live in Ohio now (but in the Dayton area). Around here, when a development goes in, certain builders have the exclusive rights to build in that development. Usually there are at least 3 builders, so houses look different from one another.
I'll be going to Huntington with him in October. We'd just like to have some areas in mind. I guess I would like to know how one gets a builder, too. Without model homes, this seems like a difficult task. When we built this home, we walked through the model and had a sales rep to talk to.
Karen
I'm not really familiar with sub-divisions in Ohio, I don't go over there very often. But I can tell you the areas you might want to look in to: Chesapeake (1 mile from Huntington), South Point, Ironton (a lot of pretty older homes here), Proctorville, Rome Township and Fairland Schools (there are a lot of subdivisons here, I just don't know their names). All these areas are within 25-30 minutes of Huntington.

Let me know if you have any other questions before your visit, I'll do my best to answer them. Hope this helps and hope you have a great trip!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:28 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,403,129 times
Some of the better builders WILL have model homes on the sub-divisions and websites to answer questions.
Home Depot, Lowes, 84 Lumber and other construction suppy vendors can give you that information from their public bulletin boards..ask for Contractor Sales when you phone them. While they will not refer you to a builder because of possible liability, they will/can give you the names and numbers from those boards...just tell them your out of state.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:49 PM

All of you have been so helpful. Thank you so much. We are going to look in Hurricane since creemarie suggested it. Also, we'll look in Rome Twp., Proctorville, and Fairland (all suggested by creemarie). We don't want an older home. We want something either with a master bedroom on the first floor or something that is all on one floor (like we have now). We'd like to avoid the "flood plain." Does anyone know how I can find out what towns/areas are on the flood plain?
Karen

Old 09-29-2007, 06:25 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,806,808 times
You should be able to find some info on the flood plains at the FEMA website here: FEMA Map Service Center -
In terms of other communities, I'd also check out Barboursville and certain areas on the outskirts of Huntington such as Pea Ridge, Martha, Etc. There are lots of newer homes and subdivisions in these areas. My advice is to stay as close to Huntington as you can just for the mere convenience of it. There are a lot of nice homes all over the area but you can't beat the convenience of being downtown to Pullman Square or to the Huntington Mall in Barboursville in 10-15 minutes or less. This would also give you quick access to the events going on downtown as well. Huntington itself has several areas with nice, newer homes that are well tucked away and hidden. Ohio has some nice homes as well but when the bridges are closed for maintenance, the commute around can be a headache. If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:10 AM

64 posts, read 304,555 times
Proctorville and Rome in Ohio and the Teays Valley /Hurricane area ( Putnam County)of West Virginia appear to be the areas you would be interested in. Milton is worth looking into also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington