Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times

Advertisements

A partnership with the National Guard is helping to tear down more than 50 dilapidated homes to help revitalize certain areas of the city. With city wide crime being down nearly 40% over a 3 year period and being at the lowest levels since crime measurements were taken, the city continues to move forward and has poised itself for even more growth.

Guard to tear down houses - The Herald Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Default Another Downtown building being turned into condos

HUNTINGTON — A resurgence in downtown Huntington is prompting a local developer to renovate a building on 4th Avenue and remove a dilapidated eyesore on 5th Avenue.

For the past three months, Shane Radcliff has been gutting the old Renaissance Bookstore building at 831 4th Ave. He started renovating the upper floors into loft-style apartments and the ground floor into space suitable for retailers and office space last week.

Print / E-Paper Exclusive: Renovation on 4th Avenue - The Herald Dispatch

11 condos will be available and 4 are already sold, even though they are just starting construction. Very nice!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM

747 posts, read 1,681,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
HUNTINGTON — A resurgence in downtown Huntington is prompting a local developer to renovate a building on 4th Avenue and remove a dilapidated eyesore on 5th Avenue.

For the past three months, Shane Radcliff has been gutting the old Renaissance Bookstore building at 831 4th Ave. He started renovating the upper floors into loft-style apartments and the ground floor into space suitable for retailers and office space last week.

Print / E-Paper Exclusive: Renovation on 4th Avenue - The Herald Dispatch

11 condos will be available and 4 are already sold, even though they are just starting construction. Very nice!
Glad to see they are getting rid of 50 however they need to knock down 98% of the homes and buildings in Huntington because all of them are old and junky. The only homes I would see worth saving are a few homes in and around ritter, and the homes in stamford park. That being said even some of the homes in ritter are looking old and run down. Shame too because some of those houses at one time had a lot of class and style. As for the building in Huntington with the exception of Marshall they just all need to be tore down and start over, because they all make Huntington look bad, especially that prichard and the huntington building, can we say way past time to knock down?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
Whoa CD, step off the ledge. It's really not as bad as you make it seem. 98%? Come on

Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM

747 posts, read 1,681,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Whoa CD, step off the ledge. It's really not as bad as you make it seem. 98%? Come on
Yeah Huntington is a trashy place, I despise it. Old run down homes, buildings, and the people look exactly the same way as the buildings. I never go down in Huntington unless i'm forced to. They want to revitalize things, but the more they try it seems the trashier Huntington looks. I just wish they would REALLY do something. However they just let the buildings and homes continue to degrade. Look around Huntington, it's a sad sight. I heard they are supposed to tear down the ghetto apartments around Cabell Huntington, however they still stand. It's just sad to see how trashy things have become down there. They have a nice hospital surrounded by trash. Marshall is a nice university...however look at some of the campus housing...trashy, seen trash around the houses more times then I can count on the way by. Shame people who come into the town have to see those things. I guess it's just a low income area and when you have you just can not expect to much from people. Yes 98% of the buildings and homes in Huntington look like they are owned by people on walfare. I think people can do better then what they do, but they choose not to. Choose not to pick up, and put money into the homes and buildings they own. It looks like a ghetto in Huntington anymore....maybe it is a ghetto who knows. Paint peeling off homes, blankets over windows, gang writing on stuff no one bothered to clean up, grown up and let go landscaping, dirty homes, trash laying around and porches piled up with junk...and that's the better homes. Half of the homes looks like they are falling in I'm not even sure how people manage to live or work in some of the buildings and homes. Huntington has been let go of for so long...i doubt they ever make it a decent place to live. Man you couldn't pay me enough to live in Huntington, it's a mess. Isn't it frustrating as a citizen to hear people speak of revitalization and then you go down to town and no one has done anything and it sill looks like a ghetto? Why I get so upset, it's frustrating they think tearing down 50 homes is going to fix the problem, but truthfully it's laughable when you look around and see that most homes and buildings should have been tore down long ago.

Last edited by CarolinaDreams; 12-13-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM

Huntington does have some work to do but the city is headed in the right direction without a doubt. Our neighborhoods need to be strengthened but Southside, Highlawn, Southeast Hills, Walnut Hills and Westmoreland to name a few all have good housing stock. More work does need to be done to improve the housing stock and to work on code enforcement though. These are issues in most cities that I know of though. And to claim that 98% of Huntington needs to be razed and that no improvements have been made downtown is to be blinded by hatred. Eight years ago, downtown was nearly empty but thanks to Pullman Square and new lifed breathed into many of the buildings by Dr. Touma, downtown is a lot closer to being full. You bring up some valid issues but lose some credibility due to the over exaggeration.

To each their own though. I love living here and obviously do not share your doom and gloom views.

Last edited by tbailey1138; 12-14-2012 at 06:57 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Downtown revival provides spark for more investment - The Herald Dispatch

Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Huntington does have some work to do but the city is headed in the right direction without a doubt. Our neighborhoods need to be strengthened but Southside, Highlawn, Southeast Hills, Walnut Hills and Westmoreland to name a few all have good housing stock. More work does need to be done to improve the housing stock and to work on code enforcement though. These are issues in most cities that I know of though. And to claim that 98% of Huntington needs to be razed and that no improvements have been made downtown is to be blinded by hatred. Eight years ago, downtown was nearly empty but thanks to Pullman Square and new lifed breathed into many of the buildings by Dr. Touma, downtown is a lot closer to being full. You bring up some valid issues but lose some credibility due to the over exaggeration.

To each their own though. I love living here and obviously do not share your doom and gloom views.
Good, well informed post TBailey. I have spoken with law encorcement officers about the costs of razing former meth houses, and I was told that it costs approximately $10,000 to demolish one home. Thats quit a chunk of change.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 PM

27 posts, read 46,970 times
I wanna know where Carolina lives. lol. Mainly because I would love to see a city/town that had no ugly buildings. lol

Btw, any college area is going to have trash and litter.
That is ANY college town in america.. these kids never clean up the mess. lol

I have done some walking around recently, and Huntington has MANY new college catering apartments actually.
In fact, I was even quite shocked at the number of new buildings that are being put up.

These things take time. And most importantly.. $
I am admittedly a Huntington Hater at times...
But on this one I am going to stand up for Huntington.
At least there is some progress being done...

And it will be even cooler when the new citywide FREE WIFI takes effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington