Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,622 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am a newly divorced, black woman. I have two small children. I am considering relocating to huntington to "start" over. I have been told Huntington being predominantly Caucasian is not "black" friendly, and would like some insight. I am looking for growth economically, looking for great schools but this question is weighing heavily on my mind. Aldo nice areas to rent or possibly buy. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 01:20 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaneldalece View Post
Hello all! I am a newly divorced, black woman. I have two small children. I am considering relocating to huntington to "start" over. I have been told Huntington being predominantly Caucasian is not "black" friendly, and would like some insight. I am looking for growth economically, looking for great schools but this question is weighing heavily on my mind. Aldo nice areas to rent or possibly buy. Thank you
It is more black friendly than the more rural areas of southern WV.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,622 times
Rural areas? Is that going towards Charleston? Im not familiar with the area

Old 12-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Rural areas? Is that going towards Charleston? Im not familiar with the area
I am not real familiar with Huntington, but the areas not in the city in ALL of southern WV arent the most enlightened or tolerant. It is not Ku Klux Klan country, but not the best place for black people. Like I said the cities in southern WV are a little better.

The problem is on this forum you wont get an honest answer. The one or two people people from Huntington only hype it, and will never speak bad of it.

I would recommend you visit it and talk to some black people.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
I know some people who do the same thing with another city.... hmm

Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I know some people who do the same thing with another city.... hmm
Recommend they visit it first? Yes that is good idea.

If you mean hype it, I am at least honest. let's face it if there is lots of race problems, not saying there is, no regular in this forum would tell her even if they knew it. They are just going to promote Huntington instead of giving her an honest answer. She would get a more truthful answer from the North Korean government if she asked if it was a good place to live. We both know this is true.

No GottaHerdOn you lived in Huntington. Perhaps you could try to truthfully answer her question instead of waging some personal vendetta you have against me for laughing at your intimidation attempt you made last year.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
Speaking from experience, Huntington is a wonderful place to live and would at least be a great place to try and start over. Huntington is predominantly Caucasian but there is a fairly large African American segment to our population. There is plenty of opportunity here and if you need to start over career wise as well, you have he choice of a larger university with Marshall, a community college and a junior college as well. Marshall also adds plenty to do here with sporting activities and performances in addition to the various performances put on by the city.

Having three small children myself, Huntingon has been great for raising them. There are several local museums that offer learning opportunities as well as various partnerships with Marshall U. Huntington has some great playgrounds and parks and is currently working on some nice biking/walking paths to connect them all. The Southside area is a great area to live with good schools, easy access to the parks and you can easily walk to many places. Our downtown has seen some great growth over the last few years and this looks to continue with further planned development.

So in short, yes, Huntington has been a wonderful place to live for me. Will it work for you? Only a visit and living here will answer that for you. Living here myself, I would be glad to answer any other questions the best that I can. Here are some links that may help.

Tim

http://muwww-new.marshall.edu/landing/home/index.html

http://www.wvvisit.org/index_pc.php

http://www.pullman-square.com/

http://www.hmoa.org/

http://www.marshall.edu/muartser/index.asp

http://www.ghprd.org/

http://www.createhuntington.com/

Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Speaking from experience, Huntington is a wonderful place to live and would at least be a great place to try and start over. Huntington is predominantly Caucasian but there is a fairly large African American segment to our population. There is plenty of opportunity here and if you need to start over career wise as well, you have he choice of a larger university with Marshall, a community college and a junior college as well. Marshall also adds plenty to do here with sporting activities and performances in addition to the various performances put on by the city.

Having three small children myself, Huntingon has been great for raising them. There are several local museums that offer learning opportunities as well as various partnerships with Marshall U. Huntington has some great playgrounds and parks and is currently working on some nice biking/walking paths to connect them all. The Southside area is a great area to live with good schools, easy access to the parks and you can easily walk to many places. Our downtown has seen some great growth over the last few years and this looks to continue with further planned development.

So in short, yes, Huntington has been a wonderful place to live for me. Will it work for you? Only a visit and living here will answer that for you. Living here myself, I would be glad to answer any other questions the best that I can. Here are some links that may help.

Tim

Marshall University

Cabell Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau highlighting Huntington, Barboursvil

Pullman Square - Shop, Dine, Enjoy.

Huntington Museum of Art of Huntington, West Virginia

Marshall Artists Series

Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District

Create Huntington |
My point exactly. Her question was not really answered.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Recommend they visit it first? Yes that is good idea.

If you mean hype it, I am at least honest. let's face it if there is lots of race problems, not saying there is, no regular in this forum would tell her even if they knew it. They are just going to promote Huntington instead of giving her an honest answer. She would get a more truthful answer from the North Korean government if she asked if it was a good place to live. We both know this is true.

No GottaHerdOn you lived in Huntington. Perhaps you could try to truthfully answer her question instead of waging some personal vendetta you have against me for laughing at your intimidation attempt you made last year.
I have no vendetta against you or anyone else on this forum...lol But I feel like a small little group has made the forum no longer fun and enjoyable. I also believe you are the one who tried to intimidate me there amigo. Boasting of your MMA and inviting me into the right? WTF? lol 1. That sounds so weird. 2. That is a lame way of trying to intimidate me. 3. Then you tried to turn around and make me out to look like the bad guy on here and alienate me... Unsuccessfully I might add. You're fairly new here, learn your niche without being impertinent

Old 12-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Hey there!

I lived in Huntington from 2006-2011. I graduated from Marshall University and moved to Scottsdale, AZ to continue graduate school.

Just because a place is predominantly a certain race doesn't mean its racist. There are ignorant people of every race in every state who are racist toward others.

I think you would do just fine in Huntington. Marshall University brings an abundance of new people, new and fresh ideas to the area. You can find just about any race in the city by going to the mall, the hospital, downtown or the university.

Downtown Huntington is gentrifying and is really coming along since Pullman Square was built. There are many shops and great places to eat downtown. If it was fiance and myself moving back to Huntington we would be looking to buy in the Ritter Park area, or in Barboursville. Housing prices are more than reasonable, but if you rent anywhere on the East Side its going to be more expensive due to all the student apartments. I agree with Tim... A visit on the weekend would be a great way to gauge if the city would be a good fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington