Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM

11 posts, read 55,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemarie View Post
Even if there are a lot of gays in Huntington, you don't have to make such a huge issue out of it. Sorry you had such a bad experience here.

I also agree that your comments were out of line. It's fine to want to speak the truth, but at least be kind about it and have some class.

This forum should be used to showcase WV and promote what a great place it is to live. We don't want potential residents to think that West Virginians are mean-spirited and don't accept others. We want people to feel comfortable and welcomed here.
Thanks for the suport. Truth is always a double edged sword. I'm really not interested in Ohio's opinion. Just needed some info.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,056 times
Gay church is on the corner at 712 5thave huntington wv looks a little run down you enter in at the side of the building have fun

Old 09-13-2009, 06:40 AM

the church is on the corner at 712 5thave huntington wv looks a little run down you enter in at the side of the building have fun

Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 AM

I think the times are 11 am if u like email me Moderator removed - please do not post email addresses here.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 09-17-2009 at 08:36 PM..

Old 09-15-2009, 01:25 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
You didn't ask a rightful question - you asked a diatribe question, destined to get me to answer something about how I perceive religion and gays, which is none of your business.

The original poster asked a logical question - they deserve a logical answer - the answer is a church in Huntington that meets their needs, nothing less, nothing more and certainly not the basis for a tirade against gays and religion. The answer to their question has nothing to do with what you do or do not believe - it has to do with what they are looking for and I think they got their answer a page or so ago.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:58 PM

130 posts, read 367,847 times
Alright,

I'm no moderator, but if this gets any worse, it should be moved to an appropriate section or be locked. The OP asked a question - and being that it was a question - a specific question at that, shouldn't that specific question be answered and that be the end of it? Why turn this into a hell-fire-brimstone debate. But since it already started, I'll give my 0.02, and then give the poster a suggestion.

Whether you like Church or not - it still stands, some people have a faith - some people believe in God...some people follow that faith to the core, and some people don't. It seems that there are denigrations being passed around about the following:

(a) Gays shouldn't go to church, because homosexuality is against the Bible
(b) WV is a vile pit of corruption, judgmental people, fat toothless rednecks, and degenerates

Let's start with (a)...

Gays shouldn't go to church, because homosexuality is against the Bible
Yes, of course homosexuality is against the Bible. But what's wrong with them wanting to go to a church - be active in the community, commune with their higher power and fellowship with other people/Christians? Sin is sin, and it doesn't matter how you look at it. If you are a Christian, and believe in that - then we all sin (note the statement that preceded that, don't get your panties in a twist) so why is homosexuality regarded as the ultimate, most carnal of sins that will send you to hell ASAP? It's not. So being that 100% of the membership of every church on earth sins in some form or fashion on a daily basis then why can't a gay person go to church? I understand some of the reasoning in that statement, believe me, I do. But I just don't see anything wrong with someone from the gay community wanting to come to church. I think it's a great thing.

Tolerance is an ugly word in my household. Because tolerance is basically saying to someone, "I tolerate you" - what message is that sending?

Let's say that I'm at a party or something, and I meet someone through a friend - he's hanging out with my group of friends so by default I start hanging out with this person. Let's say months down the road, after I have hung out with this person enough to know that he's a pretty cool friend and I enjoy having him (or her..it doesn't matter, I'm illustrating a point here) around and we have a lot of common interests that lead us to hang out together and with a group of friends - I find out that he/she is gay. Am I going to quit being his friend just because of that fact? Am I going to quit hanging out with this person, having a good ol' time? Sure, I don't agree with it because of certain beliefs I have - but how would that benefit either of us if I just decided to abort said friendship? It would do nothing but lead to hurt feelings and resentment. OR, would I just "tolerate" him, instead of continuing to be this person's friend - which would quickly lead to an abortion of the friendship anyway? Of course not. Why? Because that person is my friend. That means that I have accepted that person, for them - not solely based on their sexuality, whether I agree with it or not. A lot of friends disagree on things, but does it ever lead to a total and complete nullification of their friendship?

The problem with this debate is the problem with 'tolerance' and not true friendship or care. Why Christians throw the stones at the gay community is beyond me. It's direct hypocrisy. It's ruining the church. The church was meant to be an institution of worship, not politics; an institution of community, not judgment; an institution of faith, not frenzy. Why a pastor speaks out of one side of his mouth, saying that only God can judge a person - but condemns a person to hell himself, is also beyond me. Yes, a Pastor's job is to be a spiritual teacher and someone to go to in time of need - also be a proclaimer of the Gospel. Jesus talked a lot of hell, and he took it very seriously. But it's also very clear in the Bible that says we, as a people, are not the ones to judge who goes to Heaven and Hell. Then why do people do it? You can give a basic outline or doctrine that are basically reasons as to why you would go to Hell - but no one can tell you FOR SURE that you are going to hell or not. Isn't that what a judgment is for?

Following the Bible as a Christian is obviously a good thing - but when you start picking and choosing who goes to hell yourself, and judging people based on their sexual preference - that's when things go awry.

The role of churches should be revamped...
I can't really give a litmus test on every church on earth - but all churches are of their own accord, and there is no single church that is exactly the same. But if you're talking about the church as a whole - then I'll take this. Churches, as a group of people, by their very nature are not inherently evil. The nature and position of the church was to teach people about God and to be a collective of fellowship and worship. When churches start getting involved in politics and government - is when it goes south. But since when is it only the church, when it's involved in governmental affairs, evil? I do agree that power corrupts - even in the church. But all politicians usually get corrupted, even in this day and age. There are very few people in government, our elected representatives who have not bypassed or usurped the power of the people at some point in their career. But you're right in the fact that a religious institution should not have it's hands in the government. But nor should the government be an atheist government either. The government shall be completely neutral of religious matters and make no laws concerning religion. What the politicians worship in their private life is their business - as long as they serve the people they are elected to represent and as long as they have a moral compass - because Morals shouldn't be confined to just the pious.

I don't think anyone actually said that 'religious' folk can't think for themselves, but from an outside perspective it sort of looks that way - and it seems to be a common misconception. Every person is different. There are some people that worship God because they're afraid to go to Hell - instead of actually having a sound belief in God. There are some people that go to church every Sunday to look good. There are some people that take everything the Pastor says at face value - and never actually read the Bible themselves. And there are some PASTORS that fail to teach their congregation and instead just do 100% preaching. In my experience as when I was a pastor - I always taught people. People need to know why things happen, why the church believes some things they do, and why certain things happened in the Bible. They also should be taught what exactly the Bible actually says. There is a trend in newer churches, which I love, where they teach you from the hebrew text and line it up with the modern english version. That way they can comprehend what's actually being said and if they hear something that doesn't line up, they can look it up themselves. I mean, geez you have the book right in front of you - why don't they look at it? I do agree, a lot of Christians don't think for themselves. Not all of them.

But I do agree with Convex, there are some churches out there...that are out there. It's perfectly alright to have a successful church, but when you are putting more into your wallet and more into a nice new Mercedes Benz instead of helping a poor person in your church with some food - then there's a huge problem. The church needs to pour into the community, not the Pastor's wallet. I do not think that Pastor's should take no pay though, because full-time ministry is tough work - but I definitely do believe there needs to be some heavy financial accountability in some churches.

To "Ohio is Utopia"...
Obviously, you made that name just to come on here and hound people on the WV forum. You obviously have some issues, and that's none of my business. But there is a clear difference between being 'truthful' and being downright rude. You, sir, were being downright rude.

Whether you like gays or not is your business, but the OP asked a question, and instead you made some uncalled for comments. I'm glad you found better work in OH - great, good for you - but if WV stinks so bad...why do I see thousands of people a month from Ohio over here? That doesn't add up to what you said. They may have some pretty good jobs there, but the last time I checked - Ohio's economy is in the tank. Very much in the tank. So I suggest you look at your own state before coming on here, trolling members, and making fun of us.

I'm glad you found your place in Ohio - so please, stay there.

---

Sorry about this huge post, I just had to weigh in.

To the OP, I don't know any specific churches but I would honestly do some research like others said - google around, call around, ask around. You will be sure to find what you are looking for. And if you need any help, DM me. Seriously. I'll help all I can to find what you're looking for.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convex20899 View Post
Gotta,

you missed my point interiley. No worries hey..lol
I do that from time to time....

Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
I'm not sure why someone would open a topic up that hasn't been active in nearly two years, JUST to start a rant-fest about who likes or dislikes gays, why, what religions think about it, etc.

It's not the political forum.

When someone posts a legitimate question - ANY question, people - then contribute to the answer if you have information. Otherwise, do not use it as an open door for political, religious, or personal rants. It's a good way to gain a vacation from being able to post in the future.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington