Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 04:18 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times

Advertisements

Not a bad article but I do have a small gripe. They title it A City on the Mend but yet spend 3/4 of the article talking about how bad things used to be and rush through/minimalize how they've improved. Seemed a little anticlimactic.

The 2nd What's Next Huntington forum was last night. It really went well with even more people this time. It was funny how similar the focuses were from the different groups. I was also surprised that many people wanted to keep meeting. The overall tone of those meetings has really shown how Huntington has changed over the last several years.

'What's Next, Huntington?' forum | The Herald-Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:20 AM

Huntington 'What's Next' Stressed Youth Inclusion | Huntington News

Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
In my opinion, this group is what provides the best impetus for keeping things moving in the right direction in Huntington. HADCO is properly conceived and well operated, and the results of their efforts speak for themselves. Every city in West Virginia should have an organization like this...

Huntington group continues effort to create new jobs - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV
I copied this here to keep it in the Huntington Seeking Ways to Improve forum. I think that HADCO is a good organization. I wish that they would seek out more partnerships with other local development groups like HMDA and HURA. It seems that too often, these organizations operate in a vacuum rather than attempting to work together. They could be so much more effective if they would work together in the areas that overlap. I also wish that they would seek to work with companies already here to try to bring in new companies that have a working relationship with said companies. For example, Steel of WV makes metal frames for a copy that produces solar panels. Why not try to get the solar panel company here to save on shipping costs for them and bring more jobs here? Seek established connections in addition to new companies and who knows what might happen.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 PM

A follow up from the Strong Towns executive director to refine zoning ordinances coming this week. There's a meeting on Tuesday to discuss walkability in the neighborhoods and the Chat N Chew on Thursday will focus on ways to improve zoning in order to facilitate development. Pretty good stuff happening with this.

Quote:
This week’s follow-up visit from Strong Towns Executive Director Jim Kumon will assist in refining the city’s zoning ordinances in targeted areas to become more in line with Plan2025.

“It’s great that Strong Towns will travel to a community to offer this level of technical assistance,” said Breanna Shell, city planner. “Huntington is extremely fortunate to receive this expertise, and we encourage residents to attend the meeting and provide valuable input.”

During Kumon’s three-day visit to Huntington, he will observe a handful of key areas, including Hal Greer Boulevard, 20th Street, 14th Street West, Bridge Street in Guyandotte and the Old Main Corridor on 4th Avenue as well as thoroughfares that connect the corridor to Ritter Park.
Public meeting to focus on refining city

Old 02-10-2015, 06:26 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
A follow up from the Strong Towns executive director to refine zoning ordinances coming this week. There's a meeting on Tuesday to discuss walkability in the neighborhoods and the Chat N Chew on Thursday will focus on ways to improve zoning in order to facilitate development. Pretty good stuff happening with this.

Public meeting to focus on refining city
I can't wait for this. I may or may not be working extra later in the week just so I can take off and come to the discussion today. I mean, I'm currently reading a book titled "Walkable City," how could I not? And I had no idea Marohn was here a year and a half ago! We've had Smart Growth America/Transportation for America, Strong Towns, etc. come here and offer expertise to what's already happening and what could be on the horizon. I love living in a city that "gets it."

Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
I am impressed with the efforts folks in Huntington are making to help move themselves forward. In this day and age, it is very difficult to recover when major employers close shop and lay off large numbers of people. My home town of Wheeling is in a similar or worse situation in that regard, and they have done much less about it. Their recovery is more a matter of chance in that they are fortunate that the oil and gas resources are in that region, but city leaders there have mostly sat on their duffs and accepted the status quo, or in some ways looked for ways to enrich themselves from the situation. Happily for Huntington, they are more proactive there and that stance is paying off.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:23 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
City competing for high-speed Internet | The Herald-Dispatch

Herald Dispatch story regarding the ABC, America's Best Communities, competition that is sponsored by Frontier Communications and DISH Network, and is open to cities ranging in population from 10,000 to 80,000.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:55 PM

That would be great if Huntington could win that contest! Big things could come from that.

Here are a couple of things speaking about the Smart Growth initiative too.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=567545673346446

Not of it.: Redevelopment in Huntington, West Virginia; The Jewel City

Old 02-13-2015, 05:32 AM

Thinking ahead | The Herald-Dispatch

http://marshallparthenon.com/2796/ne...ounces-budget/

Old 02-15-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Williams said projections still predict a shortfall of $1.5 million to $2 million in the current $45 million budget.

The culprits remain the same. Tax revenues from construction are down since Marshall University has wrapped up its latest major capital projects, and the city sales tax continues to perform below anticipated levels.

"There hasn't been a slowdown in business revenue," he said. "We have a few agencies, and I can't name them, that think some of their activities don't fall under the sales tax. We're looking into that, but we're not hurting. We've already, in essence, factored that in to our appropriations."

Williams said he will touch on capital projects in the city - mainly involving infrastructure - that will need to be addressed in the coming year. He said he expects to take those issues up with the city council after the budget process is completed.
Williams to outline 'state of the city' | The Herald-Dispatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington